SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Frustrated Male Model
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And not in the "tango dancing under the moonlight with a red rose clenched in my teeth" way but more in the "God it's so humid I'm soaked with sweat before I even get 10 feet from my car" way.

Columbus Circle. At left is the Onondaga County Courthouse with the copper dome removed completely. At right is the Onondaga County Civic Center.

Another shot of the Civic Center. I'm not exactly a fan but at least it offers up a few interesting views.

HSBC Tower. This one has grown on my over the years.

When I was a kid this was the flagship for the Dey Brothers chain of department stores. The building was covered by a 1960s facade that was completely windowless other than the displays on the ground floor. What on Earth were people thinking?

You knew sooner or later I'd get around to MONY Plaza (now AXA Equitable Plaza).

These "twin towers" aren't really twins. MONY Tower (left) was built first, followed by Carrier Tower which is actually several feet and one floor level taller. Every few years there used to be talk of building a third tower, but nothing ever came of it.

Onondaga Savings Bank (now M&T Bank)

Two of Syracuse's finest... Syracuse Savings Bank (now Bank of America) at left, and the Gridley Building at right. The Erie Canal passed between the two on what is now Erie Boulevard (the side of the Gridley Building facing the canal is much less ornate). Syracuse Savings Bank was designed by Joseph Lyman Silsbee, an architect who did a lot of the grand homes on Linwood Avenue in Buffalo as well as the beautiful red stone mansion on North Street (next to Latina's parking lot). Lyman was 26 years old when he designed the bank, and it was both Syracuse's tallest building and home of the city's first elevator.

The Jefferson Clinton Hotel in the Armory district. This was an absolute dump when I was growing up and now it's quite a gem.

The hotel's crazy corner.

The Columbus of Columbus Circle.

There is a monster that is living deep down inside me
He stands between me and the things that I say
I am so clear about the way that I want this
But that demon turns it round the wrong way

·
Banned
152 Posts

When I was a kid this was the flagship for the Dey Brothers chain of department stores. The building was covered by a 1960s facade that was completely windowless other than the displays on the ground floor. What on Earth were people thinking?
So they uncover the outside of the windows only to then cover them up from the inside, what ARE they thinking!
:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts