Population: 164 000 (2001)
Szeged is located at the confluence of the rivers Maros and Tisza. After the flood in 1879, the town was well planned rebuilt.
Szeged is the fourth biggest city in Hungary, lies on Hungary's south-eastern border.
Due to the high number of sunshine hours annually, Szeged is often called „City of Sunshine".
The name Szeged was first mentioned in 1183, in a document of King Béla III.
Szeged is the higher education center of southern Hungary and has built quite a reputation for itself. Thousands of students study here, many of whom are foreign students from all around the world.
Szeged is one of the centres of food industry in Hungary. The ‘Szegedi Paprika’ and the ‘Pick salami’ (since 1869) are world-famous.
Cathedral Square, Szeged Open-Air Festival (first held in 1931):
Cathedral Square, University building and the Pantheon:
Cathedral Square, Dömötör Tower:
Somogyi Library and Archive:
Széchenyi Square, Town Hall:
Széchenyi Square, MÁV (Hungarian State Railways) Palace:
Széchenyi Square, „Bridge of Sighs":
Széchenyi Square, Statue of Kuno Klebelsberg (1922-1931, Minister of Education in Hungary):
„For Public Education", Ferenc Móra Museum and the archeological department of the University of Szeged - former Palace of Education:
Szeged National Theatre::
Martyrs of Arad Square: