Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got any decent images of T42/Canary Wharf (specifically 1CS) being built - had good search on the net for this but couldn't find any specific photos of One Canada going up.

Just interested to see some historical photos if anyone has any.

·
Futurist
38,744 Posts
1 Canada Square was proposed in the mid-80's and built between 1989 and 1991.

The NatWest Tower (as it was then known) was proposed in 1964 and built between 1971 and 1980.

·
Futurist
38,744 Posts
Yes, I think part of the reason it took so long is because the foundations had to be really strong.

The tower is built on a relatively soft layer of ground, some sort of clay or something.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Will - its pretty hard to find construction photos of the old ones, interesting non the less.

I found some old Canary Wharf photos from google when 1CS was just on it's own; it looks so surreal with all that land (docks) around it flat and this one lonely skyscraper - such a contrast to the current day with the cluster that has formed there.

Were the additonal skyscrapers part of the masterplan originally, i was it literally 1CS and low-rise to develop. I think its pretty amazing how the whole area has bulked out over the past 10 years. I still remember going to London five years or so back and seing HSBC and Citigroup going up. There must have been half a dozen or so towers going up over a very short period time, finishing with Churchill Place/West India Quay.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at Gothics site and looking at the Credit Suisse tower proposal at 250m - its stunnning.

Don't get me wrong 1CS is an iconic building, but the gothic feel of the originally proposed tower is very cool. Shame the CAA chopped the height down.

I remember someone telling me that when 1CS and the surrounding offices were built in the early 90's many were still vancant (don't know if this was applicable to 1CS).

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
Shed 35 was the original name for North Quay. From emporis:

"This 1.5m sq ft office and hotel development was proposed for a site known as Shed 35 in the early 1990s, during construction of Canary Wharf. It was approved, but the proposal was only used to increase the value of the site. In the late 1990s it was sold to the Canary Wharf Group, who have re-applied for planning permission to build around 3.5m sq ft of office space on the site, to be known as North Quay. Development should begin around 2003."

1CS was going to be ten storeys higher, but still keep the same footprint ratio, making the building seem far more elegant that the slightly squat one we have. I believe it was the CAA and 'the Prince Charles architectural legacy' that made it smaller.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
wjfox2002 said:
Yes, I think part of the reason it took so long is because the foundations had to be really strong.

The tower is built on a relatively soft layer of ground, some sort of clay or something.
London Clay on Green Sand...they did not have the technology mastered then.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
I took this pic in the summer of 1990.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ Thanks :) It's great to see these photos, such a 'moment' in time and a rare one, im a little suprised that there aren't that many photos of our tallest going up - I found nothing on the internet.

Sorry to sound greedy, but have you any more - they really are fascinating!

·
Divemaster!
6,699 Posts
Some old photos that I collected from the internet for a thread I posted on last year:

December 1988:

July 1989:

September 1990:

October 1990:

March 1991:

1998:

August 2000:

September 2000:

Febuary 2001:

February 2002:

April 2002:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts