Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of the efforts to cut down on tagging and graffiti in Los Angeles?

It is a real shame that these creeps and thugs go out of their way to make the city ugly. Is the chair a little too harsh? :dunno:

·
Banned
101 Posts
I prefer they be burned at the stake...Living in the Valley, I am tired of seeing a open wall one day, and the next day the same wall is all tagged up. The city is trying to put up new walls on the 170 freeway, and it is already either tagged up or they have been painted over a million times.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
To believe I met taggers who were actually very talented who could have been making some good money instead of destroying private properties.

There should be some free courses offered by the city to get this taggers certified to get a real good paying job. Instead of wasting money on courts, painting supplies, crews, and jail time. So they can release all their talent legally and make a good living too. Some city walls would be spear and the communities would start to shine again...

·
city driver
469 Posts
yeah whatever lots of taggers around the world are just white posers now.

i don't mind one bit if it's done well. I think a gang should be formed that takes out scribblers. Like if you take the time to paint something truly interesting, you don't get shot. Take a sharpie or your keys to a phone booth, you end up with concrete shoes in the harbor.

I mean, just look at someone like banksy. Municipalities literally beg him to tag their city. I think it's pretty much mainstream accepted that it shows cultural vibrancy to have some beautiful tags around your city.

Helsinki is renowned for its artful tags.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/stickerhelsinki/259450151/

No one would ever say helsinki is ghetto..

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
The Arts District looks really cool because the city has given them some space to work with.

Even the LA River looks pretty cool.

Now I'm not condoning tagging. But in some places, it can be very artistic.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Gotta love 4th and Alameda.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ Ok That must be East Coast shit or somewhere in Europe. I've never seen anything that silly here in L.A.. :hilarious

·
city driver
469 Posts
yeah, I'm not talking about wiggaz like that.. I'm talking about the "street art" hipsters that are, to be honest, a little behind the times.. think "scion.."

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The vast majority of the graffiti I see is illegible scribbles. If it is artistic, save it for the studio. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Arts District looks really cool because the city has given them some space to work with.

Even the LA River looks pretty cool.

Now I'm not condoning tagging. But in some places, it can be very artistic.
I agree with you for the most part, but when I see tagging over the murals on the 110 through downtown for example, I get sooo pissed. To be honest, it really is better than it was 10-15 years ago for the LA area as a whole.

My mom lives in Ireland (she was also born and raised there) and when I was young I used to think how nice it was to not see graffiti or tagging. Nowadays so much of Europe looks like total shit. Anybody know what I mean?

·
Registered
313 Posts
yeah, I'm not talking about wiggaz like that.. I'm talking about the "street art" hipsters that are, to be honest, a little behind the times.. think "scion.."
Yeah a lot of the white rich kids in areas like the Palisades, Brentwood, and like Culver City [well, not super rich but you get the idea] are really into this stuff.

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
I hate that we get so much scribble graffiti in the SGV. Really, it's tacky, ugly, and lacks art. At least in LA some work goes into it.

I've heard that Europe gets much more graffiti than LA.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Epicentre I know what you mean. I remember Athens and Crete were completely plastered with graffiti. It really destroys the positive atmoshpere of a street imo.

·
The Place
1,137 Posts
I agree with a lot of you that some of the tagging it's pretty artistic and I personally believe that this type of tagging gives LA a very urban feel.

·
17,888 Posts
Graffiti is part of LA urban culture. I'm a graf writer myself and I have painted in LA at one point in Venice Beach.

But looking at a city perspective. I wouldn't mind on legal productions and its good that the city has spots for graf writers such as Venice Beach and other areas.

Belmont Tunnel near downtown was a major hall of fame but too bad the place is gone for redevelopment.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts