SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taichung, a somewhat obscure city on the western coast of Taiwan.
A place where I spent perhaps a few too many of my formative years. So far away but somehow it's still home.

From an urban perspective it's very interesting because it's only very loosely planned. Aside from the grid of streets near the old train station laid out by the colonial Japanese government, this city developed very organically during a period or rapid development for taiwan. The different eras of construction seem light years apart but stand side by side.

·
Registered
629 Posts
^^ i don't see what's so "3rd world" about those pictures, could easily be a place in hawaii if you ask me. btw, taiwan has a higher per capita gdp than a lot of countries in western europe

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The city might look chaotic and messy to western eyes but Taiwan is far from 3rd world. I would, however, definitely describe it as "developing". But it's developing fast! Education, city services, and overall quality of life in Taiwan are all surpisingly high. It's one of the most successful countries we hear almost nothing about.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Easy!!! I know Taiwan ranks better than many western countries, but I commented based on pics here, that's way I marked "third world". I liked the messiness and chaotic streets of these pics, simple as that.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Easy!!! I know Taiwan ranks better than many western countries, but I commented based on pics here, that's way I marked "third world". I liked the messiness and chaotic streets of these pics, simple as that.
No worries. It's also what I chose to photograph that gives that impression. I was fascinated by that rough urbanity and didn't spend much time photographing the prettier more modern areas :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts