SkyscraperCity Forum banner
261 - 280 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
No doubt about it-- it's an absolutely beautiful structure-- so striking, so unique, so identifiable.
My only problem is with the building's location. The extreme height of the structure warrants placement in an area already filled with other massive towers, such as in NYC, Dubai, or Shanghai. If built in a city like one of those, Taipei 101 would have served as an exclamation point for an already exciting skyline. But in Taipei, the building stands there like a giant pointed finger. The next tallest tower is less than half the height of Taipei 101, and after that, the heights of buildings are very minimal. It just seems that the size of Taipei 101 is excessive there among so many minimal structures. Does anyone else see this?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
i dont think taipei 101 look well in nyc, nor will it be accepted. it's too foreign and exotic there. dubai, maybe. shanghai, definitely yes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
sorry, i m not a fan of taipei 101. c. y. lee is the master in tacky designs. the details on the exterior of this building are simply hideous. in addition, the tower's lobby looks plain and lacks imagination. this absolute horrid would look out of place in most major international cities. unfortunately, it is the landmark for taipei. the fact that c.y. lee, a tasteless gaudy designer, can thrive in taiwan is a national embarrassment.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
gee can you please be more honest and critical with your opinions? and that dude wannabeplanner called me negative and catty!! :lol:

·
Charles Versnick
445 Posts
No doubt about it-- it's an absolutely beautiful structure-- so striking, so unique, so identifiable.
My only problem is with the building's location. The extreme height of the structure warrants placement in an area already filled with other massive towers, such as in NYC, Dubai, or Shanghai. If built in a city like one of those, Taipei 101 would have served as an exclamation point for an already exciting skyline. But in Taipei, the building stands there like a giant pointed finger. The next tallest tower is less than half the height of Taipei 101, and after that, the heights of buildings are very minimal. It just seems that the size of Taipei 101 is excessive there among so many minimal structures. Does anyone else see this?
Yes. I was there some two years ago and I had the same impression as you.

However it is a nice building. The bamboo structure is very original. Also the device in the building to prevent too much swinging of the complete structure is a nice feature.

http://www.formosatravel.net/images/stories/taiwan/new/TAIPEI 101-4.jpg

http://www.formosatravel.net/images/stories/taiwan/new/TAIPEI 101-5.jpg

·
Registered
2,080 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
the music and announcers were so fricking annoying. and they should play chinese music on chinese new years and play modern chinese music for new years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are concerns whether Taipei 101 will continue displaying fireworks in the next few years, this is due to the construction of the NanShan Plaza (273 meters) right opposite the Taipei 101. The building is too close for current firework shows to be fired (due to restrictions)
Perhaps they may change the fireworks display to fire more ''upwards" instead of diagonally? Really hope they find another way to maintain this annual show!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Why can't they just lace several rooftops of buildings around Taipei 101 and part of the upper part of the building itself with fireworks? it doesn't have to be just that building.maybe they can just shoot fireworks over xinyi somehow like how other cities do it.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
does anyone know what is in the little top tower? i read there's supposed to be a private club located there? i never understood what's the purpose for that little tower. and are they constructing something around the bottom of the little tower above the observatory floor? if you look it looks like there's some metal frame being built?

261 - 280 of 288 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.