SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Rate!

Tait Tower, Glasgow

11759 Views 20 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Salat

Tate Tower.
Height - 300ft / 92m
Built - 1930.
Demolished - 1935 (hang on, that can't be right. It was knocked down though)
See less See more
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Ooh err..., what did it do?! 8.5/10 -> 9/10
It was an observation tower at the 1938 Empire Exhibition in Glasgow.
10 out of 10. Damn shame it was demolished.
Possibly the best observation tower ever to have existed in the UK and should definately be rebuilt!

An art deco masterpiece - 10/10

I've never seen the first picture before by the way, it's brilliant!
why was it demolished? Couldnt they have kept it for tourism or something?
Almost forgot, the never to be built err... tate tower In Birmingham

http://www.kinetic-aiu.com/tatetower.html
It was demolished in 1939 in preperation for WW2.

If this tower was never demolished, Glasgow would be a different place today. Imagine the tourism from art deco fans the world over!
If this tower was never demolished, Glasgow would be a different place today. Imagine the tourism from art deco fans the world over!
There was this guy called Charles Rennie Mackintosh...
It was demolished in 1939 in preperation for WW2.

It would have been a nice big marker for the Luftwaffe and it's existance could have cost Glasgow dearly.

I don't think it's art deco though, looks very dutch to me.
See less See more
why not rebuild it? Why are we so against rebuilding these sorts of great structures, it wouldnt cost that much its not like trying to rebuild a 700 year old cathedral!
good point, potto. One of my Polish mates says that all of the older part of Warsaw, which was destroyed by the war was rebuilt again almost identical to how it was before... But then again, we have the science tower now so a new Tate isnt really needed. Its not pretty, its shorter and it never works but we still have an observation tower just 2 miles away from where Tate was. Closest we'll get to a rebuild.
See less See more
well this building, and brunels crystal palace water towers were demolished because they were markers for bombers. there are no cases however of tall churches being demolished for this reason. coventry cathedral was used as the central marker for the bombing there and st mary redcliffe was in bristol but the authorities left them alone.
See less See more
Don't know why, but that looks strangely familiar. Where have I seen that before? ;)
Sadly. They should rebuild. The style and the appearance outran their times. Something beautiful. :)

I am greeting.

10/10 Of course.
Slight Bumpage, to borrow this post I just found...

Bellahouston Park

~o0o~

This is where the Tower of Empire once stood...

~o0o~

How it was in 1938...

~o0o~

View from the Tower...

~o0o~

I'd like to see The Tower of Empire rebuilt.

I'd re-name it The 1938 Tower in memory of the Exhibition of that year and also because the new version would be 193.8 metres tall.

Given today's lighting technology, this tower could be illuminated magnificently.

It would provide Glasgow with a wonderful beacon at night, visible to many thousands of people across the city.

Iconic, and world class.

Back then...

~o0o~

~o0o~

~o0o~

Not much remains of the 1938 Empire Exhibition today...

~o0o~

~o0o~

~o0o~

Bellahouston Park is one of Glasgow's superb green spaces...

~o0o~

It's big...

~o0o~

You can fit a lot of people in it...

Pope John Paul II and the faithful in Bellahouston Park in 1982

~o0o~

~o0o~

It was here that prayers spoken by John Paul II resulted in a man growing a new foot.
See less See more
9/10. One of Glasgow's greatest structures. A damn shame it was demolished.
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.