SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 344 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Developer has big ideas for Takapuna's beachfront

Multi-millionaire John Copson plans the country's largest suburban redevelopment with a $250 million Takapuna scheme to build apartments, shops, restaurants, cafes, a business hotel and carparking. In an attempt to turn the seaside suburb's shopping strip to face the beach, the Crown Group businessman hatched the plan after paying Perron Group $32 million for a site.

Copson, on the NBR Rich List with $300 million, said he wanted to reinvigorate the area as a retail hub by rebuilding 53 to 73 Hurstmere Rd. Copson and Crown Property chief executive Chris Arbuckle said they met Auckland Council chief planner Roger Blakeley and its manager of regional and local planning, Penny Pirrit, to discuss plans for the 1ha site. It fronts the town centre's retail spine on Hurstmere Rd and the beachfront street, The Strand, above Takapuna beach.

Chris Darby, chairman of the Takapuna-Devonport Local Board, said he had seen many schemes for the land, some which did not even make planning approval, others which won global design awards but were never built. "I'm encouraging any property developer to come forward, who wants to put their capital on the line. We're very interested in talking to them," he said. Darby wants more buildings to face the beach and said the council had identified Takapuna and New Lynn as future major metropolitan areas tagged for their growth potential. But he warned that beachfront development needed care.

"We don't want to become the Gold Coast ... We don't want a beach that faces east to be overshadowed in the afternoon at its highest use," Darby said. Copson and Jeremy Whelan of Ignite Architects in Parnell expect the application to be notified. Copson said: "Takapuna needs people and that's why we're wanting a large component of residential." Whelan said about 400 people might live there but shops, cafes, the hotel and restaurants would employ a further 150 people. In May, rival North Shore developer Wiltshire Group will open its McKenzies redevelopment, modelled on the original 1940s department store which stood on the Hurstmere Rd site.

John Copson's scheme:
Five new buildings on 1ha site
$250m development on $80m of land
Rising five levels off Hurstmere Rd
Fronting The Strand/Takapuna Beach
186 apartments, from $1.2m upwards
Shops, restaurants, cafe, hotel
420-450 carparks on lower levels
Planning permission being sought
Building to start about 2014

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If they could organize a spur off the northern busway that would go all the way to The Strand, what a place to live. You could leave the office and be on the beach in no time.

Heaps of potential. Is there still no CBD ferry service?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If they could organize a spur off the northern busway that would go all the way to The Strand, what a place to live. You could leave the office and be on the beach in no time.

Heaps of potential. Is there still no CBD ferry service?
No ferry as yet but there are plans, unfortunately some locals are kicking up a fuss but I think that they will be side-lined. I have been along the strand during lunch hour and it is full of office workers having their nibbles on the beach :cheers:

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I guess if you have a ferry service you don't necessarily need the busway spur - though both would be nice.

I know that the council plan has Takapuna evolving into a north Sydney-type town - a mini CBD on the north shore. But a regular ferry service could have it as Auckland's version of, say, Manly.

·
Kiwi in London
669 Posts
Where would the ferry go just out of interest?

Akoranga/Barrys Point Rd? Surely the harbour is too shallow around there?

Takapuna Beach? Surely the journey time would be far too long as it would have to cruise south around North Head then west into the CBD?

·
Registered
4,606 Posts

Takapuna Beach? Surely the journey time would be far too long as it would have to cruise south around North Head then west into the CBD?
In the town centre, so at the end of The Promenade most likely. A ferry service from Barry's Point Rd provides no benefit over the busway station that's already there, so if you can make it all the way there then you may as well catch the bus. The ferry service would be providing a supplment to the busway by serving the town centre proper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Where the car park is located in front of Takapuna Beach Cafe. Just imagine walking off the ferry from downtown Auckland and popping into one of my favourite cafes (Takapuna Beach Cafe) before walking into the town centre for a wander through McKenzies and finally shopping at one of the World's best retail stores - The Department Store :cheers:

Ferries already run from Gulf Harbour so the idea is for the ferry to stop at Brown's Bay, Takapuna and then downtown Auckland. I think that it will be a huge success but there is a lot of opposition from the local petrol heads and "roofies" ;) ........

`Paradise' may be lost

Windsurfers are backing a petition against plans to create a ferry wharf at Takapuna. They have concerns about the safety of commercial ferries using the same area they enjoy. Auckland Windsurfing Association vice-president Anton Blijlevens says the beach is popular with surfers when there is an northeasterly wind. "We don't want them ruining our little spot of paradise," he says. Residents have already promised a fight beyond Auckland Council's "worst expectations" if it backs the ferry wharf. Some fear the area will be gobbled up for the wharf project if the Takapuna Holiday Park goes. Ron Batty organised a petition against the development that attracted about 100 signatures from neighbours and visitors. He presented his petition to be included in submissions on the Takapuna Beach management plan. Residents also fear the "visual disaster" a pier or wharf stretching more than 100 metres from the shoreline would create in the area, Mr Batty says. Any proposed wharf and an increase volume of traffic through and around the residential areas would give cause for "immediate, predictable and well-founded objections", he says.

Harbour Access Trust wants the wharf to boost tourism and business. Takapuna Business Association general manager Peter White says the project can only go ahead if an environmental impact study shows it has minor effects. The low-lying structure will be made up of natural rock stretching about 170 metres with a small shelter proposed at the end of the wharf, Mr White says. There are no plans to provide ferry parking. Ferry users would instead be encouraged to be dropped off, walk or use public transport, he says. All beachfront parkland between Earnoch Ave and Hauraki Rd is included in the Takapuna beach management plan being prepared. The area includes the Takapuna's holiday park. Its lease will expire in 2013 but the owners are wanting to do upgrades before the Rugby World Cup. It could be turned into a reserve if the lease is not renewed. The National Ocean Water Sport Centre is also on the management plan. The $8 million facility will be home of the Yachting New Zealand and high-performance sailing centre.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another one ...

Vow to fight Takapuna wharf plan

A fight beyond Auckland Council's ''worst expectations'' is on the cards if it backs a major ferry wharf at Takapuna, residents warn. Some people fear if the Takapuna caravan park goes the area will be gobbled up for the wharf project. Ron Batty has organised a petition and says the holiday park is a ''very good community neighbour'' to those like himself who live nearby. ''Any further commercial development, particularly that which might involve a proposed wharf, shelter and an increased volume of traffic through and around this recreational reserve area and the associated high-density residential areas, would give cause for immediate, predictable and well-founded objections,'' Batty says. Carparking near the boat ramp and Takapuna Beach Cafe is already at a premium, he says.

Residents also fear the ''visual disaster'' a pier or wharf stretching more than 100 metres from the shoreline and more than five metres high would create in the area, Batty says. ''Such development would be a continual blight and eyesore for evermore and would cause discontent and objections from the surrounding property owners far beyond the council's worst expectations.'' About 100 people signed Batty's petition including many Takapuna residents, especially those living near the proposed site. Harbour Access Trust is pushing for the wharf to boost tourism and business. Takapuna Business Association general manager Peter White is an ex officio member of the trust. The project could only go ahead if an environmental impact study showed it had minor effects, he says.

The wharf proposal is for a low-lying groyne structure that doesn't dominate the beach made of natural rock stretching about 170 metres and only a small shelter is proposed at the end of the wharf, White says. There are no plans to provide ferry parking. Instead ferry users would be encouraged to be dropped off, walk or use public transport. The wharf would be used by recreational boaties and walkers, along with ferry passengers, White says. Devonport-Takapuna Local Board chairman Chris Darby says he's not jumping to conclusions on the issue because it will be considered during preparation of the management plan for the beach and its reserves. Many issues around the wharf proposal, including environmental impacts, still need to be considered, Darby says.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I don't see how a ferry to Takapuna would be time competitive with a bus if we have proper bus priority measures in place. As a comparison Takapuna by ferry is about the same distance as West Harbour and that takes 35 minutes.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I don't see how a ferry to Takapuna would be time competitive with a bus if we have proper bus priority measures in place. As a comparison Takapuna by ferry is about the same distance as West Harbour and that takes 35 minutes.
It's not all about time though is it? I would personally prefer catching a ferry over to Takapuna than catch the bus even if it meant it would take an additional 10 minutes. It's just much nicer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not all about time though is it? I would personally prefer catching a ferry over to Takapuna than catch the bus even if it meant it would take an additional 10 minutes. It's just much nicer.
+ 1 :cheers: why take the short route when you can take the scenic route :)

·
Aucklander
897 Posts
Would take a ferry wharf over a ratty old caravan park any day

Maybe it could also stop at Long Bay when they finish that. Or Murrays Bay, that'd be cool.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I used to catch the ferry over from Devonport every day and loved it, you have a great view, can buy a coffee, read the newspaper, work on a laptop on the tables the ferry has. Furthermore, you can take your bike along with you. Buses are great, but I'd rather be on the harbour than on the motorway in traffic.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
While the numbers aren't probably huge, there is surely a tourism component to a ferry service. I think tourists would utilise that service much as they do the Devonport one.

Still, a bus spur from the NEX might be best first. Are there direct (express) buses to/from the CBD? How long does it take?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good riddance I say :cheers:

Takapuna camp ground forced to close

The sun is setting on the iconic Takapuna Beach Holiday Park. Auckland Council announced today it will not renew the campground's lease next year, in favour of a public reserve with a "marine hub function". The Devonport Takapuna local board said the scarcity of reserve land and the expected increase in demand for public open spaces are the major reasons behind the decision. Campground manager Gustav Taudien said the council was "100 per cent making a mistake" and had not listened to the thousands of people who support the holiday park. The Save Takapuna Beach Holiday Park Facebook page has more than 3000 likes and hundreds of postings from around the world recalling fond memories dating back to the 1930s. The council's decision is outlined in the Takapuna Beach Reserve Management Plan which is now open for public submission.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Good riddance I say :cheers:

Takapuna camp ground forced to close
Funny I never even knew there was a campground there. Considering how scare land is around Takapuna, what with all the houses having been allowed to be built right up to the water's edge, giving this park to the public is a must IMO.

1 - 20 of 344 Posts