SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have any information on this never built development in london? i believe it was proposed in the late eighties or early nineties. the taller of the two towers would have been 28 stories, and i believe it would have been built where the bell canada building is, or possibly on the site of the JLC. were there ever any renderings? would it have been residential or commercial? how close was it to being built?

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Yeah it was to be built where the John Labatt Centre stands today. It was to be a new shopping mall/condominium project by Cadillac Fairview to compete with Galleria London in the late 80s and early 90s, but the plan was never approved or something and as a result, never happened. It would have been both residential and commercial. I don't think it was close to being built at all.

BTW, GO KNIGHTS GO! OHL champions 2004-2005. First championship in their 40 year history, thank God!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info jaybird. is there anyone around who remembers this when it was proposed who can provide a bit more information

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I remeber the battle. It was to be built on the JLC block.
The thing was is that it was, as Jaybird said, suppose to compete with Galleria. When galleria was first builf it was suppose to have a 28storey office tower as part of the development and there was to have been a enclosed walkway across Wellington to CityCentre.
Galleria got built first as so the Cad/Fair never got built as they didn't think both could survive. Thank god they didn't build it. Can you imagine life in downtown with ANOTHER empty Galleria lying around??.....eeks!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so not only was talbot square supposed to have a 28 story tower, but galleria aswell, correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Thats right. Galleria was to have a 28 storey one but then at the same time the Talbot/Queen office towaers were being built and they felt that the city could not absorb even more office space that fast. They were obviously wrong because within 5 years LondonLife Tower had been completed but would not have been needed if the Galleria built their tower.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
werent the talbot center and one london place both comleted in 1991, right around the same time? thats around 60 floors of office space in one year.
i saw in a picture in the lobby of the talbot center, it showed the westernmost of the three buildings as much taller than the other highrise, it must have been the origional concept, to compete with One London Place as the tallest.
imagine if instead of three buildings, one being four stories, and the others being highrises, they made one tower of like 35-40 stories and then two low rise buildings of the same design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts