Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Not quite sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if any of you have seen these two pictures (I'm sure you have however) but I want New York's opinion: Would you want Taller Twin Towers, or a revised Freedom Tower?

The Twins

Freedom Tower

I was never a big fan of the Freedom Tower..but I would hardly call it a ugly building. And with the office space all the way to the top almost, it really looks awesome. And the Twin Towers look awesome. I really don't know which.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Its not that Freedom Tower concept is ugly, but there should be floors to the top like in your photo rendering there. It's the huge skeleton lattice that makes the design ugly, and why I've called Child's architecture, garbage. He had a nice idea, but ruined it with the disproportionate skeleton structure of the crown.

Actually two Freedom Towers like that one in the photo, one with the spire and one without would be nice. It would also restore the skyline.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how closely the results of this poll mirror an MSNBC poll of 3,483 respondents done earlier this year, which although not scientific, showed that an overwhelming 80% favored "new Twin Towers" and only 20% favored "America's Freedom Tower".

·
Thats my wife Aaliyah.
238 Posts
Your average american who sees a poll like that isnt gonna consider other things. I mean when they see "rebuild twins" they go my thats a must so they click yes without even considering other things. They dont give a damn about the skyline as much as people do on this forum. I say go with the new freedom tower because the twins can never be replaced.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The twin towers suck. I have no idea why so many people are clamoring for those structures, which were universally ridiculed.

The freedom tower sucks also, although I do like what is going on around it (calatrava, i like the memorial site with the trees, hopefully some of the other buildings will be good looking also).

Maybe Foster is a good bet. He seems to have entered his own in the late stages of his life. Childs though is a bore. The Time Warner Center feels dead in some way. It's not engaging like the old great structures of new york city.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Taller and thicker towers should be rebuild from marble in trully Gothic style. The one kind of were built in the begining of the century. I like those so much. As a matter of fact, I heard recently that some officials are not pleased with Freedom Tower. I don't know if it's true. I was visiting WTC, and I liked it a lot. However, I was a little bit shocked, I always thought they were bigger. I thought they were 150 instead of 110 stories.

·
Lurker
1,816 Posts
"I heard recently that some officials are not pleased with Freedom Tower"
Yeah, it's going to be redesigned. I don't know how dramatic the change from 'Freedom Tower' to 'whatever' will be though.

·
Long live the Twins!
1,116 Posts
i go with the taller twins. even though there are always the diehard skeptics out there who claim that the twins are unsafe and out of date, they are a lot more workable than the architecturally impractical freedom tower with its cable supports and off-centered spire. we can easily redesign the twins' structural systems without sacrificing their external looks. the freedom tower, on the other hand, would remain an unworkable vision unless real drastic changes are made to its structure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got an all of the above opinion.

Alright, I do agree we should have taller twin towers at a lower roof height of 1500 feet but I also suggest having the 2 WTC, 4 WTC, and the freedom tower as they are, because I admire 2 WTCs beauty and the freedom tower as well as 4 WTC is under construction. So I think we should have twin towers where the 3 and 5 WTC were meant to be placed. But these twin towers could have a total glass facade like the rest of the complex.

·
Registered
something-or-other
1,115 Posts
With all of the new towers, the twin tower icon would be lost amongst One World and the others on the new skyline, anyway, even if the old WTC were resurrected in even a larger incarnation. MOVE ON....& from 2005 threads as well, thank you. That era is over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts