Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folklings!

After a cold and rainy week here in Finland, I decided to cheer up my mood with a one day visit to Tallinn.

6:30 a.m.
Hopping off from the bus at the Lahti market square. I headed straight to the railway station where the train was departing to Helsinki at 7:11 a.m.

The weather was sublime.

8:30 a.m.
After reaching Helsinki, I strolled along the streets to Jätkäsaari (disctrict).

9.20 a.m.
I have reached West Harbour Terminal. The ship seen in the picture is not the one I'm taking, that one sails to Saint Petersburg.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ferry departed 10:45, a bit later than it was supposed to because some trouble at the car deck.

The back portion of the ferry was great. Lots of natural light coming trough the glass ceiling and an big sea view.

·
8,937 Posts
How much alcohol was consumed during this trip? In the end did you doze off quietly or went down with a fight? Do we get to see seedy corners of Tallinn (strip clubs,bars etc)?

j/k :D I hope you had a great day here,satama!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
00:50 p.m.
The last time I visited Tallinn was 9 years ago. Back then I stayed overnight at Hotel Metropol. The surrounding area was full of beautiful ramshackle industrial buildings on a huge mud/gravel parking lot. Nowadays the area looks absolutely swanky.

I was particularly happy that the green building on the right has been renovated.

·
8,937 Posts
In case someone wonders - rough translation of this text by famous Estonian poet Gustav Suits (who btw had strong ties with Finland and lived there for some time):

"Raise the flag! In this turn of time
witness the winds twist
over the land and water and road:
hour has come to swear an oath
that never again will bow down
under a yoke this nation."

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much alcohol was consumed during this trip? In the end did you doze off quietly or went down with a fight? Do we get to see seedy corners of Tallinn (strip clubs,bars etc)?

j/k :D I hope you had a great day here,satama!
Nah, I see drunken Finns pretty much on a day to day basis in my job so I don't want to be with them in my free time.

I did have a great time there, thanks. :)

·
Registered
25,565 Posts
Probably, the most classy city in our region. The classical and modern architecture are in a harmony there. Plus, it is a cozy and tidy city. The one can feel the charm of the Nordic city that the Nordic cities already lost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts