Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I found a site with old pictures and postcards of Tallinn and decided to share some of them. The rest can be found on http://www.tallinn.4u.ru/. Alternative adress http://www.dobro.ee. The site is in russian.

Starting off with some low-rise Soviet buildings:
Balti Jaam 1969

Kosmos cinema 1965

And 1987

Lenin 1965 - None of these left I think :)

Street scene 1965 - Looks the same to me

Obelisk 1965

The same but from 1976

Viru Hotel 1973 - New Years Greetings From Tallinn!

Some building 1976

Old Tallinn skyline 1975

Ministry of Foreign Affairs 1975

Lauluväljak 1976

Viru Hotel and parking 1976

And in 1989 - Is that the same bus? :)

Balti Jaam 1978

Tallinn Hotel 1978

Hotel Kungla 1979

Hotel Olümpia 1987 - Lookin' good :cheers:

Pärnu Mnt. and city 1987

Old high-rises 1987

Can't remember the name 1987

Ministry of Economic Affairs 1981

Tallinn and the sea 1987

Old town and harbour 1987

Viru - The gate to the old town. No date

Commercial center in Pirita 1980

Tallinn postcard 1986

The old and the "new" 1986 - The commies look great! :cheers:

Mustamäe commies and old town 1980

Old town partial skyline 1980

·
Registered
121 Posts
thanks for historic tour;) It was nice to see how did cars looked at those times:)Hotel Olümpia looks quite tall..what it's hight?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zippo21 said:
thanks for historic tour;) It was nice to see how did cars looked at those times:)Hotel Olümpia looks quite tall..what it's hight?
Thanks :) You're right, it does look tall. The height is 84m.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Estboy said:
I can't believe how ugly 'Tallinn' hotel looked back then...
here are some pics of it now:

Like a regular commie, so bizarre. I knew I recognized the name! Now I know why that was, quite different nowadays :)

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
Thanks, these pics are interesting. But I have heard, Tallinn wasn't that sunny and clean during soviet times - it was very smoggy and scruffy. Maybe there's little difference between these pics and reality. ;)

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Postcards in Soviet times were (and still are) made by professional photographers. And they tried their best to make the city look good. Very often the site was brought in order by city management specially for photographing.

It was very rare in Soviet times to see published photograph showing the dark side of the life, putting in doubt the welfare in Soviet Union. Now, when looking at Soviet magazines of 1950ies-1970ies you may get impression that Soviet Union was extraordinary clean, well-ordered place. It wasn't

I personally can affirm that f.e. Riga in general looks much better and much cleaner than 20 years ago. But there are things which have become worse - decaying commieblocks and abandoned factories f.e. (And roads in countryside... of jeez, now that's disaster requiring some billions)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Very interesting thread, thanks ;)

In soviet time postcards even commies looks better :D Soviets really knew how to make everything look much better than it's in reality.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Jape & Gatis Do you know of any pictures portraying the real life in the Soviet era? I know there should be some pics of Russia but what about the baltics? Also I think there should be pictures taken just after the fall of the union, which should show the reality, maybe a bit worse?

@ Geex Those commies look really awesome in the postcard pic with the old town! Could damn nearly be asian commies, like South Korean ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts