SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 594 Posts

·
always on
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The Ahtri spa buildings has been "uc" for a couple of weeks now, well U/C, as in the plot is beeing cleared by the building currently occupying a part of it:
rotermanni area cranes in the background:

view from the south, looking towards the city:)

render, JUST A TINY PART OF IT! THIS BUILDING will be absolutely HUGE, biggest single building built in Tallinn to date. 58 000 sqm, 2 bio eek investment:

-------------

Tallink SPA u/c, first floor aboveground, first cornerstone officially places yesterday, pics from me from some days earlyer, well okay, you cant see the actual construction, just the cranes, investment 450 mio eek, SPA hotel 290 rooms:
(pic taken from the same point as the second pic i posted of the other HUGE building UC, just turned 180degrees :))

---------------------------------------------
Plots next to ROtermanni area, approved, will go uc any time now (if i understoond article correctly)
The area between this new development and Rotermanni, will be a pedestrian street/promenade, that in the future will lead to Linnahall (The huge monolithic building built at the seaside)
The building with the atrium (roadside) is a hotel, the building right next to it (green colour) Is another Hotel, the building to the right from it offices, businesses and some apartments at the top floor, the one above it - building raized on the first floor level to allow people to move under it :p, and finally another business/office/residential building. They also plan cafes.

build time... 1.5 years (like written in postimees)

the area has buildings on the sites atm, (except the big hotel with the atrium), those will get demolished i guess, but they are pretty poor architecturally anyway...
-------------------------

·
always on
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
concept: North-Eastern zone of Tallinns harbour area:

The winning idea was to transform the north-west jetty (an historic landfill site) into a concert (cultural-entertainment) island, by cutting it away from the mainland and accessing it by bridge and boat.

The facetted main buildings are glazed and highly illuminated forming a symbolic ’city lantern’.

Not necessarily an operahouse, one idea was to interest Frank Gehry to design it, to bring Tallinn onto the map of Europe like Bilbao.

AUTOHORS:

LEMBIT TORK, ERIK KONZE, INDREK POTTISEPP

from TORK architecture bureau

·
always on
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
AHTRI SPA

so.. i went to the "Late" public hearing of this "super structure" and finally got some renders, these are Shot by me from the paper so the quality is a bit shitty :p
its very finnish imo =). But hey, this is practically Helsinki! :D

·
always on
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
WTF my head will explode!

ARGHHHH
Do you remember Merikaru hotel? The hotel thats uc in the harbour area, and will be connected with Ahtri spa?
Heres to refresh your memory:

I dont like it... whats worse, turns out that prior to construction a architecture competition was done for the place... and believe it or not... THIS DIDNT WIN:

IM MAD

·
always on
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
oh well, on a positive side... mby the "Merikaru" design will better match with AHTRI spa design:(you can even see Merikaru, its the leftmost piece of the building)

·
Nihongo Luvr
1,037 Posts
ch1le said:
I dont like it... whats worse, turns out that prior to construction a architecture competition was done for the place... and believe it or not... THIS DIDNT WIN:
Hmm... I rather like the winning entry. The other one looks pretty "eastern" imo, whereas the other one is the very definition of typical modern Nordic architecture. Estonia is a lot more Western country than most ex-Soviet republics, and I think it should show in Tallinn's look.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts

This looks like cheap commieblock hotel from late 1970ies somewhere in Soviet province - although I am sure that build quality would be a lot better. That's why @ch1le is not happy with this project. That looks a bit like ghost from our past.

Second (green glass) project may be is nothing gorgeous but it is more original and does not blend in among Soviet buildings. Regarding being Eastern European... I am sure that - although Eastern Europe may have countless tacky designs (f.e. still chewing on that old Postmodern, blue glass and small towers with round windows), overall attitude is more oriented towards searhing something unique, unusual and daring. It is easily seen on these forums.

Merikaru and this building unfortunately are opposite to this positive EasterEuropeanness. They will not add anything to city, they are just bland "nothing".

·
always on
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
/\ my thoughts Exactly.
It does look like a commieblock, its sterile, boring....
The other designe had some nice smoothness do it, it wasnt boring and it wasnt sterile.. The harbourarea is promoting rich exiting architecture, this building Merikaru, will add nothing but density, just like the neightbour across the road from the same developer... (the commielike concreteboxwithcolourfulglasstiles)... Hopefully, it will be hidden amongts other nice ones...

edit: though there is one thing about merikaru hotel that isnt Eastern European... the magnetically levitating MERIKARU letters!

·
i don't like skyscrapers
415 Posts
Well, three years have passed and the current area hurts the eye every time one walks by.

Is anybody here better informed as to what is planned in the area around Admiraliteedi and when might we see something built?

21 - 40 of 594 Posts