SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 594 Posts

·
8,192 Posts
That land lot directly in front of Admiraliteedi basin is on (forced) sale due to owners bankruptcy,so I guess it takes atleast few years before we see any development there. Empty land lot between Linnahall and cruise ship quay should be owned by either Port of Tallinn or by state... not sure about development plans there. Former fishing harbour in front of Ilmarise quarter should be developed into yacht harbour (again,only a rumour....don't know deadlines or anything) Only real thing planned should be this :
Ahtri 3 - multifunctional shopping and free time center. Project by Arco Real Estate, 13 911 m².

Brochure in English - http://www.arcorealestate.com/upload/docs/Ahtri_3_presentation_.pdf
Floor plans - http://www.arcorealestate.com/upload/docs/Ahtri_3_floor_plans.A4.pdf
..and of course rebuilding and renovation of Rottermani quarter will continue. Maybe ch1le or Jarmo K can add more....

·
8,192 Posts
^^
It seems that this development has run into a 'little' problem :D

See that large pond on those photos? Thats where those buildings should be built. That'll teach them to dig a hole during autumn (and wait all the way through winter & spring,until it's filled with water) :D

·
3:36
2,798 Posts
^ actually... there are two ponds there, see for yourself: http://kaart.otsing.delfi.ee/

and i have a suspicion they've been there since a long time. this particular plot is not part of the former tivoli but some industrial site... perhaps these are some sort of cooling ponds or something.

i'm not 100% sure. though i AM sure these holes are not recently dug.

·
8,192 Posts
^ actually... there are two ponds there, see for yourself: http://kaart.otsing.delfi.ee/

and i have a suspicion they've been there since a long time. this particular plot is not part of the former tivoli but some industrial site... perhaps these are some sort of cooling ponds or something.

i'm not 100% sure. though i AM sure these holes are not recently dug.
Well,I'm 100% sure,that this hole is quite recent. I'll check my photos (I think I even have few photos from autumn 2009,when excavators were digging there) :) Oh,and should I mention that there was one excavator still there,plus area has been cleared of trees? I think I have photo proof of that too,it will take some time for me to find them though.

·
8,192 Posts
Crap! It seems that I've deleted that autumn photo set which also included photos of excavators working on this land lot. So I dug out photo from early summer 2009,it ain't from that lot but from Bensiini or Filmi or whatever that short street running right next to area,is named,but you can see this land lot concrete wall on the right side of the photo (with trees behind it):

^^
Those trees behind the wall are gone now.

..and here's photo from yesterday with excavator (it seems that even now they are digging there):

I believe it is Tivoli housing project (or one other project,I think there was one more residential housing project planned there)

·
2,798 Posts
ahhaa! very interesting, and i'm glad to announce i was totally wrong about the holes :D

the best proof: http://www.taevapiltnik.ee/static/body/pildid/pilt_1898.jpg :)

for some reason i thought delfi satellite photo is from 2008, that's why i guessed what i guessed, but now that i checked - wow, it's quite up to date.

i'm kind of afraid to say anything now but still... to my knowledge the tivoli project (from 2007 and as presented on luhse & tuhal's homepage) concerns the area directly north of liivaoja and not the plot with those holes...

i would find out what's going on but i should really study now for my exam tomorrow :D

·
2,798 Posts
ok rather interesting news: opening the coastal areas has reached the former russian-baltic factory on the tip of kopli peninsula. the industry will stay but they're planning to basically reorganize the area so that some places would be open to public. also, they're planning some kind of a new higher education building. as of now the former administration building (http://deepthought.ttu.ee/ajaleht/tp1998/9veebruar1998/phoone.gif) of the huge factory houses the naval academy.

http://www.tallinn.ee/est/ametlikud_teated?id=7199

the area:

·
always on
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
ahhaa! very interesting, and i'm glad to announce i was totally wrong about the holes :D

the best proof: http://www.taevapiltnik.ee/static/body/pildid/pilt_1898.jpg :)

for some reason i thought delfi satellite photo is from 2008, that's why i guessed what i guessed, but now that i checked - wow, it's quite up to date.

i'm kind of afraid to say anything now but still... to my knowledge the tivoli project (from 2007 and as presented on luhse & tuhal's homepage) concerns the area directly north of liivaoja and not the plot with those holes...

i would find out what's going on but i should really study now for my exam tomorrow :D

I kinda agree. The holes seem to be west of that Luhse&Tuhal development....

·
8,192 Posts
Port of Tallinn has shed some light on redesigning of Old Town harbour area. They want to turn urban area surrounding harbour into far more cosy place.

First of all,Admiralty basin will get a new look:

And after second cruise ship quay is finished,area between it and Linnahall (Port of Tallinn owns huge fenced lot there) will get an overhaul. In close future they plan to use it as festival & public events ground.

Article about it: http://www.tallinnapostimees.ee/836046/tallinna-vanasadamast-plaanitakse-tombekeskus-kujundada/

·
Registered
546 Posts
It is interesting to browse this thread, even though many pics are gone...

I think this belongs here:

Another vision and I still don't understand if anybody is in charge of the redevelopment... The last I heard was that Sweco was drawing a masterplan for the area, which is presumably what we see in the video. But much of what is shown is not in accordance with the city's plans. Will we ever see a central authority leading the regeneration and settling the question of the nature of Põhjaväil once and for all?

·
8,192 Posts
Is that rhetorical question? :D Because I'm pretty sure there isn't any concentrated aims to develop passenger harbour area (or Põhjaväil,for that matter). At best we will see random projects popping up here & there.

Which btw is happening at dreadful pace. Let's see now...
  • Kalasadam project - afaik still thankfully stuck in legal issues although in last autumn there were some worrying signs that project gets forced through even with such strong opposition to it.
  • That empty lot between Linnahall & cruise ships quay has problems getting permission to build small yacht harbour and some legal issues regarding houses themselves.
  • New opera theatre idea is dead. Because "money will not be spent on concrete",it's very unlikely Tallinn will ever get new opera in harbour or anywhere else.
  • Ahtri 3 is also dead. That "disco building" right next to it is presumably also dead,as there hasn't been any news about it for several years.
  • Surprisingly,Admiralty basin will most likely be built up area by 2015 as projects are active. Who would have guessed that?!
  • Complete silence about that shopping mall and few house & office building projects next to Nafta tn.
  • And finally,Tivoli housing project is also pretty much dead.
  • Coastal arterial road - Põhjaväil - is not even worth mentioning. As dead as a dodo.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
I guess the problem is that there isn't endless demand in Tallinn since the population isn't increasing. It might actually happen that the coastal area of Tallinn will never (in the next 30-40 years :D) be developed. That is a very sad prospect but it's becoming more and more likely from my point of view.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yes, the question was rhetorical. I am aware of the current status of the developments, but I won't pronounce them all dead. Coma is a better word as we don't know what will happen in a timeframe of 10-20 years.

My ideal scenario would look like this: a masterplan is created for the whole area, not just the parts owned by the port. This plan would be equivalent to an eskiis and should be extensively debated by both politicians, developers, technical experts, architects and, of course, the public. After this is complete, a developer wouldn't have to wait 5-10 years to start construction as finalising a local plan would only require the filling out of some small details.(I think I have mentioned before that Estonian detail plans are overly complex.) If the masterplan is of a high enough quality and flexible to some degree, waiting a few decades for this to happen would not be a problem.

Not especially realistic, but one can always hope...

EDIT:
I guess the problem is that there isn't endless demand in Tallinn since the population isn't increasing. It might actually happen that the coastal area of Tallinn will never (in the next 30-40 years :D) be developed. That is a very sad prospect but it's becoming more and more likely from my point of view.
If parts of Mustamäe and Lasnamäe are ever demolished, it would make sense to build the replacement more centrally.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
If parts of Mustamäe and Lasnamäe are ever demolished, it would make sense to build the replacement more centrally.
Sure, it would make sense from an urban planning point of view but economically it wouldn't be viable, at least in the current juridical framework.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sure, it would make sense from an urban planning point of view but economically it wouldn't be viable, at least in the current juridical framework.
To clarify further: I didn't mean the direct replacement for current residents of our "mountains". People currently living in half-central areas like Sikupilli or Kitseküla might move closer to the center if the port area is built, the same goes for Mustamäe people, for example.

Of course, this shouldn't be a centrally dictated operation, but a slow demographic process spanning many years.

41 - 60 of 594 Posts