Skyscraper City Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 8705 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
They are not that common in Denmark or Southern Sweden. And neither is wood, I am afraid. Building traditions are different because there is less forest and a more humid climate.

Right, part of Pärnu maantee is also like that. And then you are out of town :)

That is very interesting. In southern Scandinavia the apartment buildings would be built of stone as well. It makes sense to me that if you use wood, the area will be less densely built because of fire regulations and the number of floors (no more than two, I suppose).
But not quite as sparsely as a villa area. There are fire gaps of prescribed size between houses, that double as access to the courtyards, and the courtyards, but extensive gardens would be a waste of space. Compare with Nõmme, which WAS a villa suburb.

A common pattern of development was that a factory would be built on a vacant piece of land - then the neighbouring vacant pieces of land would be built up with wooden apartment buildings. Usually not by the factory owners, but by private developers. It was important for the workers to get cheap apartments at a walking distance to the job, and private developers provided that.

What was the standard way to provide housing quickly, cheaply and efficiently in southern Scandinavia? How many floors would the last house between a factory and an empty field have?
Kalamaja seemed a bit like a suburb to me because there were no shops. Before the age of the shopping centre, where would its inhabitants go shopping? In the old town?
I do notice quite a lot of houses - not all but many - with bigger first storey windows, or else with external stairs down to the basement. For example, if you leave the town by Pärnu maantee, note the wooden house at the corner of Tõnismäe street - shops on the first storey. Etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What was the standard way to provide housing quickly, cheaply and efficiently in southern Scandinavia? How many floors would the last house between a factory and an empty field have?
Normally it was stone houses, but I should have specified that that is tile bricks, not real stones. If there is much clay in the ground (which there is) it is easily accessible, so it is not only used for rooftiles.

Those houses would generally be of very similar heights which is five floors in bigger cities and somewhat less in smaller cities. Not that high by international standards, I suppose.

There are some quarters with very similar houses built for a nearby factory, and these are generally only with two floors, and no shops. Actually much like Kalamaja, only with bricks.

But generally it is city centre blocks forming closed streets, and with no connection to a specific factory.

I do notice quite a lot of houses - not all but many - with bigger first storey windows, or else with external stairs down to the basement. For example, if you leave the town by Pärnu maantee, note the wooden house at the corner of Tõnismäe street - shops on the first storey. Etc.
So these are former shops, I suppose?

·
3:36
2,852 Posts
here's a couple more shots of the general plan of tallinn by eliel saarinen. i took these photos in 2005 with a crappy camera so sorry for the quality, haha.

central railway station:

square of the three lions:

lasnamäe square:

pärnu square:

viljandi square:

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's a whole new city! I can see it hardly makes sense to look for known landmarks. What I thought was near Kadriorg is actually in Lasnamäe.

I haven't been to Lasnamäe, but I'm pretty sure I would have preferred this to reality.

And the image of the railway station apparently reveals that this is the quarter north of the station. Which means he planned to raze Kalamaja to the ground...

I wish that central station had been built, though.

·
3:36
2,852 Posts
And the image of the railway station apparently reveals that this is the quarter north of the station. Which means he planned to raze Kalamaja to the ground...
the railway station seen here was supposed to be in south tallinn, between the old town and lake ülemiste. i'm not sure what his intentions were concerning kalamaja...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Actually, looking at the railway station again, apparently he also meant to raze the old city...! Or maybe the station should have been moved somewhere else.

Although I would have liked some of this to have been built, it really would have been a shame to sacrifice old parts of Tallinn.

"Square of three lions". That must be a reference to the national coat of arms, I suppose.

·
✖✖✖✖✖✖
1,775 Posts
Man those architects must have been out of their mind, that stuff looks like something from Paris not <100K city.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Isn't that just a private house? In Estonia, villa is more like a luxurious private house with a garden.
Sure, let's just call it a private house, then. In my country architects and real estate agents often refer to average houses as villas, whereas the rest of us would just call it a ... house.

1041 - 1060 of 8705 Posts