SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
always on
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went outside yesterday, late late evening-night, devoid of people.... hope you enjoy, added comments to the otherwise pointless UC construction pics ;)

Foorum UC, topped, facade coming up!

Merikaru hotel construction in the back, the plot under preparation is for Ahtri SPA will run from the firewalls of Merikaru to this street in the foreground

Overview of the plot

Part of Rotermanni development

Tornimäe. naturally

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,348 Posts
Some cool pictures there..love the colours.next time take some pictures of old-town ok? :)
well done
:cheers:

·
囧!
10,896 Posts
Awesome shots here man! Nice to see that all the constructions are coming towards the end now.

Tallinn looks really empty though... :?
Can't see many human beings in these photos - between what times are they taken?

Awesome thread! :)

·
always on
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the comments!

@S_bob. Were doing many great things with our downtown ;) including opening it up to the sea ;)

@El Greco, i never seem to actually get to the old town.. but i should force myself to!

@Staff indeed, it was strangly devoid of people ;) Like i said in the header ;), it was late hours 23.00-til 1 o clock! And most of the nightlife is centred a bit more to the western part of Downtown and around the oldtown, I only stayed in the east side. But still, it was wednesday (the most boring work orientated day of the week).. :)

@Ringil, indeed it is ;)

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Awesome photos :applause:
This city is really commin together very nicely with all the projects/construction goin on! Love it.. :)

·
always on
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
/\care to specify, in which way different?

And yes, it changes very very rapidly :), even to the residents here, i.e me :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for the great night pictures, ch1le! It looks like it's going to be a very different Tallinn in a few years.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
/\care to specify, in which way different?
Different identity - the way how people see, feel those cities. Earlier (especially in Soviet times) Baltic capitals were seen as "theme park "Old Europe"" - everybody focused on Old cities of our capitals, image of cobblestone streets among crooked, ancient city walls and skyline with churches were the first what came in mind when Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius were mentioned.
Like this painting by Janis Brekte:

Nowadays our cities increasingly are associated with dynamic ecnomies and crazy speed of construction and development. All cities are developing huge modern centres and we can be sure that our marketing people will include those centres as part of image of our cities.

·
always on
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mnjees, Tallinners need a new centre, a new place to gather, to be. Our old town now, sadly, doesnt belong to us... belongs to the tourists. Theres still a long way to go... especially Tallinn and Vilnius.

Mby thats why i so seldom find myself in the old town, its like some other city, different people, different atmosphere. :sleepy: though, at times i enjoy it :)

·
Citizen of heavenly city!
617 Posts
I totally agree with ch1le in what concerns old town. Last time being there I felt I'm not in my home country any more and I was really happy at those rare moments I heard my mothertongue(but fewness of those moments made me quite sad though). Anyway great nightshots, your nightpics improve with every single thread(and they aren't dark at all ;)) :applause:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Rivkin said:
I totally agree with ch1le in what concerns old town. Last time being there I felt I'm not in my home country any more and I was really happy at those rare moments I heard my mothertongue(but fewness of those moments made me quite sad though). Anyway great nightshots, your nightpics improve with every single thread(and they aren't dark at all ;)) :applause:
Tallinn is great. After months of waiting, I finally arrived in Estonia on Friday afternoon. I haven’t been to Tallinn for nearly two years, and the changes are dramatic.

I still can’t get over how tall Tornimae is…and the way it towers above everything else. Especially dramatic is the view into town when driving along the shoreline from Puunsi/Viimsi. While already impressive before, the Tallinn skyline has now reached a new definition with the addition of the Tornimae towers…

As for old town, your comments rang very true: it is unusual to hear Estonian spoken on the streets. My wife is most irritated whenever one of those souvenir or postcard sellers asks in English if we want to purchase a postcard. Being that she’s from Tallinn, she always growls back in Estonian, “I don’t want your postcard!”

Yesterday, my wife and her sister needed to take care of some errands, so I had some free time to explore the sights. I spent most of Sunday afternoon trekking through downtown and old town.

Interestingly, I ran across three African-Americans at the intersection of Niguliste and Harju streets. I asked them if they were in fact from the States (since by sight they appeared American, and by sound I detected a hint of a New York accent).

To my surprise they were from a “real” ghetto area north of Harlem! What the hell are they doing in Estonia, I asked?

Apparently one of them had won some kind of free trip for two to the Baltic’s, so the other friend decided to come along. The third friend managed to get a cheap plane fare, so he figured to come along.

It was a real sight. Gold chains, the ghetto-wares, slang, hand greeting and all! I wish I had my camera along. Fortunately one of the guys had a camera, so we had a passerby take a group photo of us. In the States, it would be very unusual for us to even acknowledge one another, but I guess they were relieved to encounter someone who had been to New York, and someone bearing an American Passport. They promised to send me a copy of the group photo; so I guess we’ll see if they remember…

We said our goodbyes, and the last that I saw of them, they went walking down Harju Street taking in the sights…

1 - 20 of 23 Posts