Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
9,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kultuurikatel is ongoing reconstruction project of old Tallinn Power Plant complex,located close to Old Town & Passenger Harbour. Existing complex is under heritage protection and dates back to 1860s when Tallinn's Gasworks was built there. Between 1912-1913 most of the gasworks was demolished and new power plant was built on same location. Power production was shut down on 1979 and until 1990s plant was producing district heating.

Existing buildings were built in following years:
  • Gasworks - 1860
  • Turbine hall - 1929
  • Conveyor gantry - 1930s (?)
  • Switchgear building - 1932
  • Boiler hall - 1934
  • Chimney - 1948

Kultuurikatel ('Culture Kettle/Boiler') is proposed as centre of culture - combining art galleries,music studios,theatre,architecture centre,public spaces etc. in one complex. Observation deck will be built on top of power plant chimney. Afaik,reconstruction works are split into 4 stages and entire complex should be completed in 2015. Considering it's original & planned purpose,It's fair to compare this project to Tate Modern in London.

Architects: Siiri Vallner & Indrek Peil from Kavakava OÜ
Building size: N/A
Estimated deadline: stage 1 - 2012; entire project - 2015
Cost of project: stage 1 - around 20 million Euros + taxes
Main contractor: Astlanda Ehitus OÜ; Rand & Tuulberg AS
Sub-contractor: BauEST

Current project status: completed

Project renders:

Photos:

·
3:36
2,848 Posts
it's unfortunate that the tallinn heritage protection did not allow the architects to build the viewing platform on top of the chimney. i haven't seen the project but a concrete box on top of an old brick chimney sounds very cool to me... as far as i know, in the current project the platform will be built inside the chimney so that little holes will be punched in the walls... anyway, the chimney reconstruction will be very interesting engineering-wise - basically they'll have to build a concrete chimney inside the brick chimney... :p

and here's an additional view from oleviste church:

(full size here: http://static3.nagi.ee/i/p/716/6/179015116b7dc3_o.jpg)

·
9,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kultuurikatel design contest was held in May 2009 and as I wrote,architects from Kavakava office won (with they work 'AK') and centre will be built according to their design.

Second place went to T.Sooväli OÜ (work named 'Lahvatus') and third place went to Kosmos ('Risttee')

So here's the third place - by Kosmos architects Villem Tomiste,Mihkel Tüür & Ott Kadarik:

You can see more renders here (click on the 'Kultuurivabrik')

·
9,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's unfortunate that the tallinn heritage protection did not allow the architects to build the viewing platform on top of the chimney. i haven't seen the project but a concrete box on top of an old brick chimney sounds very cool to me... as far as i know, in the current project the platform will be built inside the chimney so that little holes will be punched in the walls... anyway, the chimney reconstruction will be very interesting engineering-wise - basically they'll have to build a concrete chimney inside the brick chimney... :p
Spherical observation deck would have been the best :D (Nagu suur pulgakomm...)

·
Banned
635 Posts
a little update

Facelift of a old watertower(?) - new office or private house... (?):)
Opposite the old watertower(?) is now Asian high class restaurant.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Suht huvitav muidu see korter, aga hind on ikka väga ülepakutut mu arust. Sisustus on peaaegu olematu ning suht maitselage on..:D Üleüldine kvaliteet pole ka just kiita... ühesõnaga oleks saanud tunduvalt etema korteri sellest teha, kui see praegu on. ;/

·
Registered
280 Posts
I beg your pardon?

If you would have bothered to read first post,then you would have noticed that only Soviet part in this complex is the chimney. Majority of buildings are nearly a century old.
I meant the fact that it is decaying and ugly, at least IMO :)
What I was saying is that the Soviets left it to neglect... You obviously know more than me on the subject though so I won't say much more :lol:
Still, the fact that work is being done is great.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.