SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they have, wellll what can I say! its a fair design considering its tamale.. I hope It serves its purpose.. Well they should add some palm trees to the carpark..and some attraction of sort

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes they have, wellll what can I say! its a fair design considering its tamale.. I hope It serves its purpose.. Well they should add some palm trees to the carpark..and some attraction of sort
Lol i think you are being diplomatic with your accessment.For me i will tell it all.I think it looks like a bicycle ware house.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tamale Airport ready by September

The Tamale Airport is expected to be
completed by September 2015 for
operation as a second international airport
in the country.
Airport authorities say the finished airport
will have all the facilities of a modern
airport, and have spacious maintenance
bays and hangers for airlines. “The project
will be completed by September and
inaugurated the same month,” an airport
source told the B&FT
The project, funded with a loan facility
from the Brazilian government, is
expected to cost about US$174million. It is
being undertaken by Brazilian company
Geiroz Galvao Construction – the same
company working on the Kwame Nkrumah
Interchange in Accra.
The first phase of the project consists of
extending the runway from the current
2,480 metres to about 3,940 metres, and
the installation of a complete lighting
system to accommodate bigger aircraft so
as to serve as the second international
airport in the country. It is supposed to
serve as an alternative to the Kotoka
International Airport (KIA).
The project became prudent due to the
growth in airlines servicing the Kotoka
International Airport and the growing
demand for domestic air transport. Tamale
is the second-busiest domestic destination
in the country.
Domestic passenger throughput during
the 2013 financial year grew by 43.3
percent to 780,000 in 2013 from 540,000
in 2012; with Tamale Airport recording a
passenger throughput of 162,000.
International carriers number about 42
with a passenger throughput of about two
million recorded over the past two years.
James Eric Antwi, Starbow’s Chief
Executive Officer said: “Yes I believe it is
very necessary for us to construct an
international airport in Tamale because
that part of the country needs to be
opened-up. When we build an
international airport in Tamale, it will
create a lot of jobs; companies will go
there and invest.
“Manufacturing companies can move in
because they can get their products easily
into Accra. We can grow flowers and
export them from Tamale. Flowers fetch a
lot of income in most countries that I
know; for instance Kenya, Ethiopia and
other countries, and Northern Ghana is
conducive for this business.
“I think that if they do, it will help a whole
lot of people -- and also with the airlines
going there, companies going there.
Tamale will just be another commercial
centre that will open the door to all
countries…Burkina and the surrounding
countries,” he said.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Its overly priced?
I don't think it's over priced. The diminutive Kumasi Regional Airport's rehabilitation project had a price tag of about $30 million. For that amount of money, merely filling pot holes on the tarmac, replacing a few lights and navigation equipment is what I call a major ripoff of the hard working tax payers and the like.

If the renderings above hold true, I really think that it's worth the price tag.

·
Registered
158 Posts
apollojoe,Where in the world do you have car parks infront of an airport enviroment ha. In most civilized countries airports,vehicles or cars are not allowed entry let alone parking space. Only special airport buses are allowed to transport passengers from the airport environ to the city center. Well if that drawing on your screen looks good to you to cost an whooping $174mill then God bless you. However,what looks good is very much individual.

·
Registered
667 Posts
apollojoe,Where in the world do you have car parks infront of an airport enviroment ha. In most civilized countries airports,vehicles or cars are not allowed entry let alone parking space. Only special airport buses are allowed to transport passengers from the airport environ to the city center. Well if that drawing on your screen looks good to you to cost an whooping $174mill then God bless you. However,what looks good is very much individual.
'Car parks in front of an airport environment',sic, If you're referring to the proximity of the parking lot to the terminal, then yea, It's a little closer than most airports and I'll be the first to admit that there is a bit of a security concern here. Nonetheless it's manageable as long as there are drop off and pick up lanes separating the parking lot and the terminal and parking facilities along with road traffic are not interfering with anything on the airside of the terminal as is clearly visible in the renderings.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the whopping $174 million price tag includes the runway(s) etc. Tarmac construction can be VERY spendy!

·
Registered
166 Posts
The current government borrowed 49billion dollars in 5 years. From Kwame Nkrumahs time to prior government, the total borrowing was just 9 billion dollars....Think again.

·
Registered
16,756 Posts
I think an international airport in ST would have made more sense.

I really think that city can be the best in Ghana. Oil, gold, cocoa and the nations best beaches all in close proximity.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think an international airport in ST would have made more sense.

I really think that city can be the best in Ghana. Oil, gold, cocoa and the nations best beaches all in close proximity.
That could be later.. Petronia and king city coming up there will increase the commercial activity there. I know petronia has an mini avaiation centre in the enclave.. It will be nice if they consider a speed rail to connect st

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,599 Posts
Did u notice the interior pillars? Inspired by the northern building.. Not bad at all.. It will move a lot of development to tamale and open the north
I noticed that, the traditional mud architecture and the kente... a bit muddled but not bad at all. This airport will be the gateway to the North.

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,599 Posts
Tamale Airport ready by September

Tamale airport authorities say the finished new airport will have all the facilities of a modern airport, and have spacious maintenance bays and hangers for airlines. “The project will be completed by September and inaugurated the same month,” an airport source told the B&FT

The project, funded with a loan facility from the Brazilian government, is expected to cost about US$174million. It is being undertaken by Brazilian company Geiroz Galvao Construction – the same company working on the Kwame Nkrumah Interchange in Accra.

The first phase of the project consists of extending the runway from the current 2,480 metres to about 3,940 metres, and the installation of a complete lighting system to accommodate bigger aircraft so as to serve as the second international airport in the country. It is supposed to serve as an alternative to the Kotoka International Airport (KIA).

The project became prudent due to the growth in airlines servicing the Kotoka International Airport and the growing demand for domestic air transport. Tamale is the second-busiest domestic destination in the country.

Domestic passenger throughput during the 2013 financial year grew by 43.3 percent to 780,000 in 2013 from 540,000 in 2012; with Tamale Airport recording a passenger throughput of 162,000.

James Eric Antwi, Starbow’s Chief Executive Officer said: “Yes I believe it is very necessary for us to construct an international airport in Tamale because that part of the country needs to be opened-up. When we build an international airport in Tamale, it will create a lot of jobs; companies will go there and invest.

“Manufacturing companies can move in because they can get their products easily into Accra. We can grow flowers and export them from Tamale. Flowers fetch a lot of income in most countries that I know; for instance Kenya, Ethiopia and other countries, and Northern Ghana is conducive for this business.

“I think that if they do, it will help a whole lot of people -- and also with the airlines going there, companies going there. Tamale will just be another commercial centre that will open the door to all countries…Burkina and the surrounding countries,” he said.
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/business/artikel.php?ID=342539

1 - 20 of 35 Posts