SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2640 Posts

·
CoolBreeze
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tamilnadu Economy

• Tamilnadu is Fifth largest contributor to India's GDP.
  • The most urbanized state in the country with the highest number of Business enterprises, pegged at 10.56%, compared to the overall population share of 6%.
  • Tamilnadu second most industrialized state
  • Gross state domestic product (GSDP) showed a growth of 8.9% in 2009-10 and is expected to be more than 10% in 2010-11, when the national average is just 8.5%.
  • Per capita Income of people is Rs 69,377 crore in 2009-10. Rankes 2nd among large states
  • It ranks third in foreign direct investment approvals Next to Maharashtra and Delhi
  • The State's investment constitutes 9.12% of the total FDI in the country
  • Tamil Nadu has a network of about 110 industrial parks and estates offering developed plots with supporting infrastructure. Also, the state government is promoting other industrial parks like Rubber Park, Apparel Parks, Floriculture Park, TICEL Park for Biotechnology, Siruseri IT Park, and Agro Export Zones among others
  • Tamilnadu has IT Parks in Madurai, Coimbature, Trichy, Tirunelveli and IT parks planned in Salem and Hosur.
  • TN is leading producer of Cement
  • The cities of Coimbatore, Erode & Tirupur, in Tamil Nadu are the largest garment exporters in India (Called Textile Vally of India)
  • Electronics manufacturing is a growing industry in Tamil Nadu. Chennai has emerged as EMS Hub of India. Companies like Nokia, Flextronics, Motorola, Sony-Ericsson, Foxconn, Samsung, Cisco, and Dell have chosen Chennai as their South Asian manufacturing hub.
  • Sivakasi is leader in Fireworks, Printing and Matches
  • TN has Global vehicle manufacturing giants like Hyundai, Ford, BMW, Mitsubishi, Komatsu, The TVS Group (TVS), Ashok Leyland, Nissan-Renault, Daimler Trucks, TI Cycles of India, TAFE Tractors, Royal Enfield, Caterpillar Inc., Caparo, Madras Rubber Factory (MRF) and Michelin as well as domestic heavyweights like MRF, TI cycles of India, Ashok Leyland, Royal Enfield, Mahindra & Mahindra, TAFE Tractors and TVS.

and more to come...

·
CoolBreeze
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tamil Nadu retains top slot in economic freedom ranking
Cross posting from Chennai Economy thread

·
CoolBreeze
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Highest operational SEZs in south India

South India is way ahead of other regions in encashing on the tax-free special economic zones scheme as 79 of 130 functional Special Economic Zones (SEZs) are located in four southern states.

Among southern states, Andhra Pradesh is on the top of the table with a maximum number of 32 operational SEZs followed by Tamil Nadu (22), Karnataka (20) and Kerala (7), according to latest government data.

The sector-wise data shows that out of 130 operational SEZs, an overwhelming 75 of them relate to IT/ITeS and electronic hardware.

“An investment of Rs. 1.95 lakh crore has been made in SEZs,” Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Jyotiraditya Scindia said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.

In all, 582 SEZ proposals have been approved, while 374 have been notified.

“A total of 130 SEZs have commenced exports,” he said.

The sector-wise analysis shows that the SEZ scheme became very popular with the IT/ITeS and electronic hardware sector.

One of the reasons for the rush of these sectors in SEZs was stated to be the sunset clause on earlier schemes like Software Technology Parks of India (STPI). The tax exemptions on STPI are coming to an end at the end of the current financial year.

While uncertainty about tax exemptions has also gripped the SEZ promoters, the Commerce Ministry is lobbying hard for the continuation of the benefits to the SEZs, which are contributing 26 per cent of the country’s total exports.

Besides the southern states, Gujarat and Maharashtra have also been pro-active in development of SEZs. Maharashtra has 16 functional tax free enclaves and Gujarat has 13.

SEZs have also come up in sectors like textiles, engineering, gems and jewellery and pharmaceuticals.

The Hindu

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
^^

This is not a bad idea to start TN economy thread.... But that was the one already discussed under Chennai economy thread where atleast I understood that single thread will do instead of separte threads.

Moderators/forymers could clarify this!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
^^ To add to your point, and me being me let me ask this question too. Otherwise it'll be so unlike me :)

Why are Tamilnadu's economic achievements discussed in Chennai threads when it should be discussed here?

·
CoolBreeze
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Industrial Parks, Corridors to Propel Growth of Southern Districts says Tamil Nadu Deputy CM

Chennai: The Government of Tamil Nadu has proposed to set up new industrial parks - one at Thirumangalam, Madurai (1478 acres) and the other at Thoothukudi (1533 acres) to enhance industrial development of Southern Districts. The new industrial parks would provide job opportunities to 1 lakh youth of Southern Districts in Tamil Nadu said Dr. M K Stalin, Deputy Chief Minister, Government of Tamil Nadu, whose speech was read out at the 3rd edition of the SPEED “Southern Prosperity through Enhanced Economic Development” organized by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in Chennai Today.

Dr Stalin said that the Government would also take steps to develop Madurai – Thoothukudi National highway into an Industrial Corridor to promote industrial development in Southern Districts of Tamil Nadu.

Dr Stalin highlighted the various incentive packages offered by the Government of Tamil Nadu for large, medium and small scale industries to boost investments in Southern Districts of Tamil Nadu. Outling the key investment proposals from the private sector, he said that the Indonesia based Sundareswarar Alloy and Steel Company is planning to invest Rs 2200 Crore for setting up their 5 industrial units in Southern Districts; investment proposal by Syntel to set up a 100 acre IT Park at Gangaigondan, Tirunelveli District and the Government is also in talks with Synergy, to setup a Photovoltic Cell plant in Nanguneri SEZ with an investment of Rs 1500 crore, said Dr Stalin.

In his special address, Mr. Rajeev Ranjan, IAS, Principal Secretary - Industries Department, Government of Tamil Nadu said that Tamil Nadu has done extremely well in terms of attracting new investment in view of its investor friendly policies. He said that the State has signed MoU for 31 projects besides 16 other agreements for a total investment of Rs.57,000 crore.

Mr Ranjan said that the Government of Tamil Nadu has taken specific steps to promote investments in Southern Disticts. For investments between Rs. 50 - 100 Crore, the Value Added Tax (VAT) payable by companies for a period of 3 years are being treated as loan. Besides this, there are several other incentives that are being offered to companies planning to invest in Southern Districts, said Mr Ranjan. He also said that under the Petroleum, Chemicals, Petrochemical Investment Region (PCPIR) programme of the Government of India, huge investment are expected to come into the Southern Districts of Ramanathapuram and Cuddalore.

Mr. T Kannan, Chairman, SPEED & Managing Director, Thiagarajar Mills Ltd in his theme address said that Southern Districts have huge potential and the Tamil Nadu Government has done a lot in terms of investment packages, but it needs to revise the packages so as to attract more companies in the small and medium sector with an investment of Rs. 25 – 50 crores. The Government should also facilitate in getting 1 mega project in Southern District to enhnace growth, said Mr Kannan. Elaborating on the opportunites in Southern Districts, Mr Kannan said that Madurai and Sivaganga could become a centre for tourism, heritage and crafts; Tirunelveli as a BPO hub; Tuticorin as an energy hub besides other key sectors which has the potential to drive the overall growth of the State.

Ms. Nandini Rangaswamy, Chairperson, CII Tamil Nadu & Managing Director, Chandra Group in her special address said that Tamil Nadu is the 3rd largest economy in the country, it has a huge potential to improve its industrial base. The State has several factors of growth like skilled manpower, industry favorable policies, good infrastructure besides a hub for various industry sectors.

Mr. R Dinesh, Co Chairman, SPEED & Joint MD, TV Sundaram Iyengar & Sons Ltd earlier welcomed the gathering and Dr. S Aravind, Chairman, CII Madurai Zone & Administrator, Aravind Eye Hospital gave the closing remarks.

Source

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
^^
This thread is slowly but surely losing its way and becoming more of a TN economy thread...
True Ferrari!! But thats inevitable!! Either we have a separate thread once again to highlight TN economy or just accept the fact that always there will be overlapping of info when we refer to Chennai economy and TN economy.

So its upto moderators to decide if it makes any sense to open a new tread for TN economy?
what will be the difference between this thread and

1. Chennai Projects thread
2. Tamilnadu projects thread.
Thankx Arul for asking this question.

If you plot a Venn diagram and then see that , Chennai's economy is a part of TN's economy. But not the other way around.

I would like to quote few examples of what could be the grey area....
If you check the discussions above reg Aero industry then what might come up in Vellore has been mentioned along with Chennai. Thats why Ferrari_fan had mentioned this is has become TN tread.

Now coming back, if you take TN as such you have some many different industries which doesnt exists or has partial presence in Chennai. Some are Textiles, food processing, printing media (Sivakasi is number 1), firecracker buisness, food processing, agriculture, education and many more which becomes a part of the complex TN economy.

Added to it, TN is the most urbanized state. So obviously, district based economy exists unlike other states. Even if check "State of States" ranking by India today (Every year around September), they would have mentioned different criteria to adjudge which the best states (where economy of a state plays a bigger role).

But having said that, it might sometimes become really confusing when something is written about Chennai. Where to write it. In Chennai or in TN economy thread. Even I am too little confused about it. So I leave it to wise people like you make a better decision. (If little overlapping is accepted may be Chennai economy thread will do)....

Thats my opinion!!!
Atleast I see that its a good idea to have separate threads!!!

So GO AHEAD! I am for it!!

·
Jaishankar
495 Posts
^^ To add to your point, and me being me let me ask this question too. Otherwise it'll be so unlike me :)

Why are Tamilnadu's economic achievements discussed in Chennai threads when it should be discussed here?
Neenga Enna Thiruvilaydal Tharumi-ya Ella Nakkerera. Ellathukum mela Kelviyn Nayakanna. Kelvi Kannaikall thoduthukonda irrukeenga.

Tamil Nadu Economy Thread is really required Here. Great shankar has done really good job.

·
CoolBreeze
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cross posting from Chennai Economy thread

Gujarat is catching up fast. Look at the parameters. Gujarat tops in governance while we top in legal structure and property rights.

The last two has been culturally our strong points. We have a history of property rights for 2000 years, and land records were maintained even in early Chola era.

But the traditional advantages we are having is being nullified by the government apparatus while other states are surging ahead inspite of weaker grass root factors.

·
CoolBreeze
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sayenthil, cross posting here to continue the discussion.

Yeah, agreed to the fact that rest of the states are doing incredible job.

But basically we havent improved much because of the welfare policies of the current government. (I am not telling this info. Rather it was told in one of the news articles). So I guess after the elections we have a real chance once more to improve this index.

By the by, its amazing to see that TN has been consistently ahead in this index over the yearrs. This is irrespective of the fact that are not having big finanacial centres (which creates wealth), we are not having the best irrigation facilities (ours is neither numer uno in aggriculture). This means, there has been in relative terms an uniform development across various sectors that has made this possible.

I dont know how much i am correct. But I presume thats the way it could be.

-----------------

By the by, I guess we could start discussing this in TN economy thread instead of here.

·
Banned
14 Posts
FDI in Tamilnadu 2000-2009

• Total FDI inflows into Tamil Nadu: are US$ 5.4 billion
• Percentage share of total FDI inflows: is 5.06%

Top Countries invested in Tamilnadu are:

• Mauritius (31%)
• Singapore (21%)
• U.S.A. (12%)
• The Bermudas (8%) and
• British Virgin (3%)