SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Agent Orange said:
I wonder how many NFL commissioners Pam Iorio had to sleep with for this one.
Aww man that's just disturbing. I did not want that picture in my head! :runaway:

But seriously, this is another huge moment for the city. By that time all these new projects will be done, and hopefully even more! What better way to get publicity than with the most watched program in America???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Now maybe they will repave Dale Mabury and hopefully replace the stop lights with ones that dont crap out in the daly thunderstorms.

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
How exciting to have a Superbowl in suburban Orlando ! :jk:

And by 2009 Tampa will sport an impressive skyline to showcase on national (or even world) TV.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
nope - they will not fix the stoplights - they turn 'em off for big events anyway.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
RE: Atlanta had this wrapped up

Anyone think this is going to be just one of those things that help move the Tampa / Atlanta rivalry along? Or is Atlanta too lax to truly have a rival (in Sports)?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I'm a huge Buc fan and i'm super excited about this. I do think that Raymond James Stadium is one of the best in the NFL with that huge pirate ship. I agree that the Bucs and Falcons have a rivalry. The Bucs are the only team season in and season out who can stop Vick and they can't be happy about that.

·
Registered
571 Posts
FL Hawk you took the words out of my mouth "Take that, Atlanta!" Nothing against Atlanta by the way. I agree this will be a great way to show the city. Tampa will have a lot of improvements since it was last here. The channelside district will be a lot more development and malfunction junction should be a little better.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
Lakelander said:
That is a pretty nasty thought. Anyway, congrats. From reading this forum, it looked like Atlanta had this wrapped up in the bag.
So did I. What a shock...When I worked for the TSA, I had heard that NFL folks weren't all that pleased with the way things went last time...

BTW, they had better get thier ass in gear with the Links project, and the reconstruction of I-275 from DT to Westshore.

·
Florida
1,295 Posts
More money to fund Malcom Glazers soccer team in Europe. Think that had anything to do with Tampa's surprise selection?

·
Channelside Pioneer
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can guarantee you that Gasparilla will NOT be held the same weekend as the SuperBowl in 2009. Although I didn't live here during the last Tampa Super Bowl in 2001, by all accounts the traffic was a cluster f**k.

·
Registered
72 Posts
John F said:
RE: Atlanta had this wrapped up

Anyone think this is going to be just one of those things that help move the Tampa / Atlanta rivalry along? Or is Atlanta too lax to truly have a rival (in Sports)?
No, Atlanta is the worst sports town in america bar none. I would be surprised if half the metro population even knows they have a NFL team let alone teams in the other 2 and half major sports.

·
Channelside Pioneer
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I lived in Atlanta from 97 to 01, and went to a few Falcons games in the GA Dome. Yawn.

Two of these games were against the Bucs, and it seemed like there were more Tampa Bay fans than home crowd Falcons fans. Certainly the Bucs backers were louder and more decked out in team paraphernalia.

·
Registered
72 Posts
^Wow, what a turn around. I remember going to Bear/bucs games and it was about 75 percent bear fans year in year out at tampa stadium. Or going to Detroit Lion games to see the Great Berry Sanders and there was a total of 10,000 fans max.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
TheJim -- two things helped contribute to that and you can see both of those things in St. Petersburg with the Devil Rays:

Porrous management and ownership of the home team and a stinking venue. Some people might recall Tampa Stadium fondly but I've heard the horror stories about games played on hot days and people pissing in the sinks because the lines in the bathroom were too long... Bleacher seating for the entirety of the stadium? In a major league sport? Ugh..

Glazer - as cold and shrewd as he is - took care of both the Bucs day-to-day operations and management problems as well as getting that highway-robbery deal for Raymond James Stadium. You couldn't see Hugh Culverhouse doing either of those things because he was happy with the income and didn't think to invest it back into the team to gain more income.... Oh well....

·
Channelside Pioneer
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm guessing that Mayor Pam will be turning up the intensity level ever so slightly on the RiverWalk downtown. She seems to have adopted this as her "pet project," and I'm sure she would love nothing more than to show it off for a Super-sized audience in a few years' time.

Given all the new residential and other projects on the boards, it's kind of fun to think about how Tampa will be changing between now and January 2009 (TTT, Floridan, Fairmount, O2, SkyPoint, museums, interstates, etc.).

Or, take it a step further and think about all the changes since our LAST Super Bowl in 2001 (TECO Streetcar, Channelside, International Plaza, etc.).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts