SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,157 Posts
^^ I agree that not every building needs to be a high rise but UP TO 350 units on 5.5 acres with what sounds like a detached, sprawling 2 level garage on prime real estate is just bad urban planning in my opinion. Its going to end up being a noho flatts on downtown prime real estate and it's going to not be as dense as peirhouse. This lot is too large and valuable to waste it on 350 units. It is close to the river and should have enough height to offer quality views of the area. This lot is walking distance from Julian b lane riverfront park and really close to Curtis Hixon as well. I feel like the demand is there for more units and there should be at least double the units for that amount of land. If they do decide to allow for this low of density then I would at least hope that the garage is hidden. I rather is sit empty than waste it on this amount of density

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Good points... As others have stated this lot is such an important piece of land for the viability of downtown. It's location is perfectly situated where it has the potential to be a GATEWAY to the west side of the river aka future "West Downtown area" as well as a popular checkpoint for the riverwalk as well as an open opportunity to improve our "cultural district". Filling up this space with single use low density apts and a sprawling detached parking garage would do nothing but solidify that area as "dead space" and ruin a golden development opportunity.

I believe It would best serve downtown as a mixed use residential and plaza type development capable of numerous points of interest. I don't see why a developer wouldn't want to build more density and build a tower even If it's a mid rise. I would think the demand would be there plus it's on the river and wouldn't you want to provide as many people with spectacular views and be able to charge for it. Why sell themselves short.. I mean I understand most developers only care about what's the most return on investment they can get with what they're budget is but as community member or an authoritative figure of the community there should be a shared vision and standards for properly designing our downtown.

Again this is an important junction and should be treated as such..honestly I wouldn't be upset at all if it was only 4 stories but had plenty of available commercial space to serve the people coming to and from Julian b lane park and as well as people coming to and from both ends of the riverwalk. If you think about that is last spot before you hit a huge dead space walking all the way to water work park as well as the last place before you enter Julian park which has zero places to eat or drink. I would hope that they make whoever develops on the land accountable for building enough retail space. At least 10000 Sq feet to go with the 10000 that will be apart of the straz.

· Registered
1,157 Posts
It would be nice if they built something similar to the pedestrian only corridor on Franklin st. Running east to west of the whole span of the lot with Plenty of shade and seating with fountains with the retail on both s running along that corridor on both sides and two towers on the north and south side of the lot with attached parking garages..

Plus a nice gateway marker paid for by the city as well as some public art before entering Laural bridge

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.