SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An update of sorts on the InVision project.

Tampa project seeks to re-imagine downtown

By Richard Danielson,
Tampa Bay Times Staff Writer
In Print: Thursday, July 19, 2012

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/tampa-project-seeks-to-re-imagine-downtown/1240974

An excerpt from the article...
TAMPA — Since the 1950s, downtown Tampa has been seen overwhelmingly as a business district where major roads exist to move huge volumes of traffic in and out during rush hour.

Time for a change, a consultant suggested to Tampa City Council members Wednesday.

"You have a lot of roads that are busy for about 20 minutes, and then they're empty," said Pete Sechler, the project manager for AECOM, a Fortune 500 consulting firm hired to work on Mayor Bob Buckhorn's yearlong InVision Tampa project.

Instead of designing a downtown that's geared toward handling an hour of heavy commuting every day, Sechler said officials might consider designing a downtown for the other 23 hours.

That could mean reworking how people think about downtown, changing the perception from it being only a business district for offices to a neighborhood where people live and shop.

Buckhorn launched the $1.43 million InVision Tampa project in April to create a 25-year blueprint for downtown development. He wants a master plan that will address design guidelines, amenities and connections between downtown and areas like Ybor City, the Channel District, Tampa Heights and North Hyde Park.
To read the rest, click the link above.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Once again, I agree with this: http://tampasphere.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/roundup-7-20-2012/. It is just wasting money on the obvious.
You do know it's illegal or could easily be challenged in court to change planning docs and make all the changes to code everyone here wants without public input process as a part of planning, right? Seriously lots of dumping on getting public input only serves those that don't want any changes.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I agree with Tampasphere (and Jasonhouse) - why are we paying consultants and wasting time when the answers are so obvious? That has nothing to do with actually getting any codes or planning documents changed. It just wastes time and money.

Why would any support?

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Because without studies to back opinions - even bogus studies - politicians will NEVER make an even half bold move for or against something. Not to mention that the city really does not have time to do these type of studies/work. Ironically, if they were doing the work themselves most people would be angry that they are wasting time on this type of thing rather than the issues we have now - not 25 years in the future.
It's all well and good for us to say that the politicians know, or that "everyone knows" when in fact without these types of studies most people would not know or would have no way of making their voices heard.

Finally (and most importantly), you need real studies to secure financing for major improvements and to help garner state and federal funds. This would also apply to private investments, or to attract more private investments.

Steve

·
Registered
946 Posts
^^^ This. You must have a "Master Plan" to get money.

Plus this is a public input process and seriously get over yourselves if you think you know everything the public wants.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Because without studies to back opinions - even bogus studies - politicians will NEVER make an even half bold move for or against something.
Bingo. Now that is leadership. I guess they are assuming second terms for all, because nothing will happen for years.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
What do we need consultants for. Get rid of the one way streets. Put more ground retail, offer different kinds of housing in the area. Low-rise, mid-rise, highrise.

·
Designer, 1404designs
1,117 Posts
^^ add in fewer traffic lanes, more bike lanes, wider sidewalks, more seating opportunities, diagonal crossing opportunities, and then you'll get there.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't see your point, there is plenty of outside seating currently and it's often quite busy.
Your right knee. Downtown has a lot of breezes and outdoor seating is even popular now at the end of July. That said we have less really hot weather then places like Minneapolis has snow and Seatlle has rain and they have lots of outdoor seating. I have no idea what your talking about.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like your thinking. But as for the outdoor seating, you will be sweating all over your lunch. I've never felt any kind of breeze in downtown Tampa. It's a sauna.
So what's also needed in addition to outdoor seating is some shade and some fans or a misting system.

·
Registered
946 Posts
So what's also needed in addition to outdoor seating is some shade and some fans or a misting system.
Shade yes, misting system I don't really think it's absolutely necessary. Honestly the bigger issue during the hot months is rain -- but the shade should be able to take care of both. Fans are nice, but again not really necessary. If people don't want to sit outside they don't have to. Outdoor seating useful for most of the year and those that want it will use it (a lot of us).

DC has lots of outdoor seating and does it with shade not misters etc. And if you compare temp/humidity there is not much difference (2 to 3 degree temp for avg high/low) during the worst months between DC and Tampa.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Well, back in the early 20th century they used to build fixed AWNINGS on buildings in Florida. It blocks sun and rain. But, then, that would be obvious . . .

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
You know what also provides shade? Taller buildings. ;)

But seriously, less lanes and wider sidewalks is a must. I've drove through Tampa before, too many people treat the main streets as racetracks instead of being a street in the middle of downtown with dozens of people all around you walking and driving. People will b*tch about the traffic, but the automobile has way more of an advantage in Tampa compared to any other way of transportation.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Exactly what's being developed along Zack St that will have so many people walking along it that it needs wider sidewalks? Where will this mass influx of peds be coming from and going to that are walking along Zack St?

We now have 'pedestrian corridors' along Franklin St, Marion St, Zack St and eventually the DT riverfront. Franklin St is the only one that even remotely resembles something worth walking along. WTF is the purpose of all of this, other than to waste limited resources stoking the ego of the politician du jour?

How about we finally make Franklin St the attractive urban corridor it's supposed to be, and only direct limited resources to developing other corridors when the first one is built out and is being fully utilized?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Have you guys seen the progress on Zack street? Despite it being panned on this forum it is exactly what you have been talking about here. Very wide sidewalks, less lanes (two way instead of one way), trees, shade, etc.
I am not talking about ruining traffic - as though everyone in Tampa is such a wimp that they can't cross a three lane street. I have also not talked about wasting money on trite coloring of the sidewalk. I will say the planters are not bad but other than that, it is a complete waste of money. Half the sidewalks there were expanded when the blocks were redeveloped anyway.

The real problem is that the city wastes money on that but won't insist that the buildings be built in an urban way - so what is the point?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts