287 Posts
NFL

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

1x Champion:

RAYMOND JAMES STADIUM
Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
capacity: 65657
opened: September 20, 1998

Raymond James Stadium is the home of the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers, University of South Florida Bulls football and the New Year’s Day Outback Bowl, as well as countless concerts and special events every year. It was also the host of Super Bowl XXXV on January 28, 2001.

The Pirate Ship:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sikario said:
That's crazy!! A pirate ship as part of a stadium... only in America! Is it a permanant feature?
Yes it's a permanent feature of the stadium. However under certain circumstances it can be temporarily moved to add thousands of more seats for special events. This has never been done before though, and it probably won't for a while. They may do it for the 2009 Super Bowl, which is being held here in Tampa, but nobody knows for sure...

Also, the ship's cannons fire (blanks) after every point scored by the Buccaneers. It really rallies the crowd and gets everyone pumped up. It's a truly unique feature, and makes the "RayJay" one of the most unique places to watch a game of American Football.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NFLeuropefan said:
What the hell is showjumping???
equestrian... It's when horses jump over various barriers. If I'm not mistaken it's kind of an obstacle course for a horse and rider.

I've never watched it, and I personally never knew that fact. I've lived here all my life, and I'm still learning new things about my city :)

·
Resonation's what u need
657 Posts
MoreOrLess said:
Cue RVN diving joke. ;)
Very Good ;) Just as well for you he had colic on Monday!

Key (for anyone who's wondering esp. confused Americans):

RVN = Ruud van Nistelrooy
relevance = commonly facially compared to a horse
plus = I am a United fan

colic = incapacitating sickness, prevalent in horses
Monday = United v Spurs
relevance = MoreOrLess is a Spurs fan (if I remember rightly)
plus = van Nistelrooy had a quiet/poor game

NB = we still won 2-1!

Apologies for drifting off thread....or am I?

(tenuous) Link = The Glazer family... :(

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Durbsboi said:
Nothing special just another box built NFL stadium.
I don't quite know what you're expecting. This stadium was built to maximize side views, while trying to make use of the endzone areas for fan amenities.

When Raymond James opened in 1998 it was praised as "the crown jewel of all NFL stadiums" and is still considered among the best in the nation by several national media sources.

It's not "just another box"... maybe you could call me a "homer" or whatever, but I just love this place

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are a few more pics I found online
lower deck, off center

A few hours before the Super Bowl in 2001:

From the scoreboard (empty, blank stadium)

Pregame ceremonies

palms

Bucs getting scored on :bash:

After a night game

Opening Day at Raymond James

from the endzone looking across

fans in the upper deck

fans

more pics

1 - 20 of 125 Posts