SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cheers: Spain and Morocco to link via rail tunnel

Following an agreement signed in January 2004 between Morocco and Spain to build a 39 km (24 miles) rail tunnel under the strait of Gibraltar an international call for tender was launched by joint venture company Societe Nationale d'Etudes du Detroit de Gibraltar (Morocco) and SECEG (Spain).
The tender consists of drilling 7 boreholes for geological studies that will determine the depth and final route of the tunnel.

The Spanish and Moroccan governments have been undertaking negotiations to build the tunnel for over 20 years. Construction is due to start in 2008 and the overall cost of the project is estimated at 3 - 10 billion Euros. Both Morocco and Spain are investing several million Euros in intensive research studies and they are likely to seek the European Union's assistance for financial support. The final project will include the construction of two tunnels with a service tunnel in the middle to connect them and will be similar to the Channel Tunnel that links Britain to France. The two adjacent tunnels are planned between Punta Paloma (40km west of Gibraltar) and Punta Malabata, near Tangiers.

Kindest regards

Mustapha
0208 508 9905
www.propertyborders.com
Moroccan Hospitality With British Professionalism

·
Casa hiya mdinti
117 Posts
they finished the testings according to this article

The decision was taken after technical studies confirmed the feasibility of the project.

The global cost of the project was estimated at 10 million Euros.

The studies, undertaken by the two public companies, the National Company of the Strait studies (SNED) and SECEGSA, concluded that a tunnel of 40 km should relate Tarifa in Spain with Malabata Region, near Tangier, Morocco.

About 28 km of the tunnel will be constructed under water, and the rest on each side of the Strait's ground.

The tunnel's construction will cost about four to five billion Euros, which will be paid by the EU, the concerned countries and private sector organisations.

The Spanish government expects the launching of the project at 2008 and its final completion at 2020.

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
good news ( this will make a lot of marocan people in holland happy :p )

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
excellente nouvelle donc le debut des travaux du tunnel sous la méditerrané va commencé en 2008? :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Oh je n'irai pas jusqu'a spéculer par rapport a une date, je reste assez septique de ce cote la, d'abord on parle d'un pont et puis mntnt d'un tunnel, qui et quoi croire ?

·
Banned
2,633 Posts
I would have imagined that Spain wouldnt be fond of the idea, in light of the mass illegal migration from northwest Africa into Spain. Wouldnt this increase that problem?

·
Registered
494 Posts
harkerb said:
I would have imagined that Spain wouldnt be fond of the idea, in light of the mass illegal migration from northwest Africa into Spain. Wouldnt this increase that problem?
Well it's getting better now, due to the increased security by both the moroccan and spanish coast-guards, subsaharan illegal immigrants are trying to head to the canary islands through mauritania and senegal nowadays since those routes lack adequate security.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
^^
Oui, il y a un site sur cet project. Regarde ici: http://www.dipucadiz.es/observatori...0de Gibraltar
Mais cet site est en espanyol....
The site I posted gives information about this project. Thanks to Aicha.

And HakerB, spain is very fond about this idea. They were the one who came up with it and they are one of the biggest financiers of the project.

And dont worry about the illegal immigration. Crossing the strait of gibraltar illegal is nearly impossible. First you have to survive all the mrooccan soldiers patrolling allong the coast and secondly the spaniards have hi-tec radars and much stuff like that. They can watch every move made in the strait of Gibraltar. If something suspicious is found they can catch it within 5 minutes! The illegal immigration thru the Strait is impossible now. It has been quiet for a long time.
And I think the tunnel will not be an option for illegal immigration. I think there will be millitary patrolls on both side 24/7.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
"And I think the tunnel will not be an option for illegal immigration. I think there will be millitary patrolls on both side 24/7."

If ever they elude the guards, how is the possibility of surviving at the deepest point of the tunnel?

·
:D
2,037 Posts
How is the border controlled in Ceuta and Melilla? This question has nothing to do with the tunnel but someone mentioned immigration.

Anyways, I think it's really good that they do this tunnel. Andalucia has similarities with Morocco in my opinion.

·
PEACE!
774 Posts
Chalaco said:
How is the border controlled in Ceuta and Melilla? This question has nothing to do with the tunnel but someone mentioned immigration.

Anyways, I think it's really good that they do this tunnel. Andalucia has similarities with Morocco in my opinion.

It's heavily guarded especially on the Spanish side with fences .

1 - 20 of 446 Posts