Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been meaning to start a thread about the homegrown tech industry in Tanzania for a while.

This is the thread for local tech initiatives and innovations.

One of the few criticisms I have of the government is the lack of investment in homegrown science and technology industries. I know that Magufuli stated that he wants Tanzania to be at the cutting edge of technology, I would like to see more state led companies and initiatives in this area, perhaps invest in a mini silicon valley.

The tech sector has become the new modern media, not just because of the way people interact with technology devices but the power and influence that companies like Google, Facebook and Twitter have over the masses. The importance of creating your own tech industry is that you can mitigate outside influences with local based media.

Importantly, this sector can help to provide jobs to Tanzanians

But please do post any tech news you can find in this thread. If you have any news I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some of the tech industries/innovations I would like to see the government starting up.

• Homegrown technology to assist in the management of Tanzanian wildlife, Flora and Fauna. (Currently a lot of the workforce and technology around this is outsourced. I think mainly to German companies
  • Technology to assist in securing, sourcing and managing Tanzania's natural resources
  • Technology to support local manufacturing
  • Technology to support the health sector
  • Smartphones and Tablets
  • Videogame companies (Yes, I said it)
  • Local social media sites and platforms
  • Anti corruption innovations

·
Shrewd
21,847 Posts
thanks for sharing this story, im glad to see education is transforming with the time. The computer is the great equalizer with it a young person has access to the same information as any phd graduate. Anyone who is a good listener and got a reasonable mind can achieve great things with a calculator and computer tutorial.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Vision for the Tech Industry.
Tanzania and it's neighbors have a lot of natural resources that can support a successful electronics industry. However we need a lot people with the know-how for electronics and our education system is not churning out enough these people. Due to budget and other constraints it is difficult to teach and inspire electronics at the level we need.

We need an inexpensive method to train students to learn how electronics work and how they can design them to deal with our unique problems.

Raspberry Pi is a computer company that manufactures small, inexpensive computers that enable user to learn a lot of electronics.

With prices ranging from $40 -$100, we need to have Raspberry Pis in our computer rooms in schools so that students can interact the electronics and understand how they function at a deeper level. Then we host competitions to design the best electronic solution for our everyday problems. This exercise with accomplish the following:

1) It will get more young people working on designing electronics.
2) It will inspire more young people to pursue a career in electronic services.
3) The winners of the competitions will birth the electronic industry that could become big and contribute a lot to the country in terms of taxes, jobs, and skills.
4) It will equip the next generation with skills to compete in the world market.
5) Upon success it will inspire other industries to invest in technical education by sponsoring competitions or providing equipment.

If we can successfully manufacture PCB(printed circuit boards) then we could make the logic component of almost any electronic device.

Here are some images of the different Raspberry Picomputers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Water is our most important asset, it's great to see that recently the government has focused on improving sanitation infrastructure across the country and improving access to water systems. This is a very interesting project.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A Tanzanian Netflix? Fantastic idea for many reasons. A Tanzanian Netflix if done properly could stimulate the local film industry and be central to it's eco-system. One thing that should be the driver of such a concept is the Swahili language, it's the world's fastest growing language and is spoken in many African countries. Where the language is spoken there's a potential customer. I would love to see this, if done properly it could be huge.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts