181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Banned
100 Posts
Submit
29th October 13
New strategy ups Tanzania tourism marketing drive internationally
The Guardian Reporter

The implementation of the International Tourism Marketing Strategy for Tanzania is placing the country’s hospitality sector in a better position in the global market, Peter Mkumbo, the Principal Marketing Officer for Tanzania Tourist Board (TTB), has said.

It seeks to enable Tanzania to be clearly identified in the markets as a popular destination and hence be able to compete with other tourist destinations so as to increase its market share, according to the officer.

The five year (2013/2017) strategy was developed in harmony with stakeholders; he said adding that TTB and Tourism Confederation of Tanzania (TCT) worked together to come up with the strategy. Business Environment Strengthening Programme for Tanzania Advocacy Component (BEST AC) funded the process of establishing the strategy.

In 2013, TTB and the private sector held meetings with stakeholders to raise awareness on the strategy in Arusha, Iringa, Mwanza, Morogoro and Dar es Salaam.

“Such awareness is deemed important so as to have every player in the industry on board. The assumption is, if stakeholders understand the strategy, it will simplify the implementation process,” said Mkumbo in Dar es Salaam over the weekend.

It is very crucial that stakeholders particularly businesses are fully made aware about the strategy as the tourism industry is largely a business industry dominated by the private sector.

He said through such meetings, TTB has received many positive comments on the strategy and the wide observation shows that the majority of the stakeholders are pleased with the strategy.

“To compete in a world in which consumers are bombarded with millions of commercials, TTB and TCT developed the Strategy so as to enable
Tanzania be clearly identified in the markets as a popular destination and hence be able to compete with other tourist destinations,” he said.

On his part, TCT Chairman Gaudence Temu called for a sense of ownership of the strategy by both the Private Sector and TTB.

“The two should see this strategy as their own baby who needs to be nurtured to grow up,” he said.

According to TTB, in the strategy, specific primary, secondary and tertiary markets have been identified. TTB has opted to focus on fewer markets; four primary markets:UK, USA, Germany and Italy; and five secondary markets (France, Netherlands, Canada, Australia and Spain) and additionally two other new growth source markets (South Africa and India).

TTB noted that this was deliberately decided in order to create strong brand presence in focused markets.

“When the brand is well communicated and positioned, recognised and memorable by the individuals in the markets, it is expected to partly
contribute to the increase in flow of tourists from the markets to destination Tanzania,” he said.

THE GUARDIAN

·
I'll Fly Away/Blue skies.
18,810 Posts
Tanzania tourism reveals record results but storm clouds gather

Tourism has climbed to the top of the economic performance scale in Tanzania, outstripping all other sectors including gold mining which had claimed top spot a year ago amid record high gold prices at the time.

The Bank of Tanzania earlier in the week released data for the period October 2012 to September 2013, which shows an increase in tourism earnings from US$1.61 billion to US$1.82 billion.

While tourism stakeholders broadly welcomed the news, some also immediately suggested that the Tanzanian government better wake up to this new reality and facilitate the sector better compared to the past. “This performance, which has been long in coming, must now translate in to greater political clout of the sector in day to day politics. For one the government should provide greater funding to a sector which is performing so well to make it perform even better. More money for tourism promotion is however just one area where there is now need for action. We also require greater sensitivity by our government to the impact of several negative factors. Tanzania has always been a land known for conservation and the present poaching situation, which is completely out of hand and has been so without any serious government intervention until very recently, is giving us negative publicity around the world. If this continues the trend of more visitors can easily end abruptly unless we finally do something about it.

Tanzania has been singled out as the country where the most elephant are poached in the world and the confiscation of ivory in Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam are evidence that not all is well. Besides poaching our government also needs to refrain from causing international controversy and outrage over such shortsighted projects like soda ash farming at Lake Natron, the Serengeti highway, the Mwambani port and the tinkering with the Selous. Destroying that fragile habitat with Uranium mining and hydro-electric plants is not in the best interest of our sector. Let them bring back the application to have the Eastern Arc Mountains be recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, that would go a long way to reassure our future visitors that they are truly coming to the land of the Serengeti and Ngorongoro and those sites are protected and not ransacked by short sighted greed,” said a regular source from Arusha when discussing the good news on tourism sterling performance.

Meanwhile have senior stakeholders across the border in Kenya pointed at the Tanzanian performance and used it in a campaign gathering swift momentum to have their own government finally take decisive action to support the sector, which in particular at the coast is suffering from poor occupancies. “If Tanzania can overtake us just like that and become the regional tourism power house we obviously have not done our homework. Maybe our government now wakes up from their dreamland and sees reality as it is. Our officials are portraying the sectoral performance in a light which in reality is very dim. At the risk of repeating myself, you have outlined many action points which can and should be taken up. Let them start by dropping that silly VAT issue which has in the face of eroding market confidence added a great deal of extra cost to holiday packages to Kenya. KTB deserves a big fat check to blitz our overseas markets like we did in 2008 and 2009. Balala then knew what was needed but we are starting to wonder if our present political leadership understands what for him was obvious. He knows the coast and he knows how quickly things can deteriorate. We need to give airlines incentives to fly to Mombasa, and truly Kenya Airways should consider routing some of their European flights onto or via Mombasa.

There are whispers that their forecast bookings are down by up to 20 percent on the Nairobi to Mombasa route and if true that would be another blow for coast tourism. I admit that our coast resorts, many of them anyway, have for too long just raked in money and not invested but now is the time to do so. Now that our brothers in Tanzania have overtaken us at high speed, that should be our wake up call to do something about it and return the favor. Competition in the region is good because it will improve service levels and we are after all one region in Africa which has the best attractions spread over the 5 member states of EAC. But does anyone listen? I still hope that we can have a national dialogue going very soon because along the Magical Kenya Travel Expo these crucial issues were not addressed; perhaps because we had too many international buyers around and did not want to air our challenges while they were here. Let us use the review of WTM performance and impact to add that element of a national private public sector workshop to collect views and suggestions and then bring it to government for implementation,” said and wrote a regular Nairobi based source with decades of experience in the sector.

Challenges on both sides of the border, in Tanzania with worries over the future of tourism and the impact on the sector’s performance over poaching and projects threatening the very fabric of the country’s conservation concept of old and in Kenya, where some now say the abyss is so deep that they cannot see the bottom any longer.

AFRICA

http://www.eturbonews.com/39702/tanzania-tourism-reveals-record-results-storm-clouds-gather

·
Shrewd
21,139 Posts
Kilimanjaro Marathon 2014 Launches With Bang

THE 12th edition of the annual Kilimanjaro Marathon was launched with a bang in Dar es Salaam yesterday with a 25 per cent increase of prize money for full marathon, which goes up from 15m/- to 20m/-.

The organisers said that next year's Kilimanjaro Marathon is scheduled to take place on March 2 in Moshi, Kilimanjaro. "We've increased prize money by 25 per cent for the full marathon event, which will go up from 15m/- to 20m/-, the utmost objective is to enhance competitiveness," said Kilimanjaro Premium Lager brand Manager George Kavishe.

He said they expect the prize money rise will attract world's top runners and encourage record breakers as the marathon has grown from a local sporting event into a large international race.

Due to the increase, the top three athletes in the 42.2 kilometres (full marathon) event for both men and women categories will receive a total of 8m/- and the remaining amount will be spread out between the 4th to 10th position winners.

Kavishe further said that as the main sponsor they have set a 2m/- bonus for local athletes, who will break records in next year's event in an effort to motivate and encourage local athletes to improve their finishing time in the event.

According to the prize monies breakdown after the increase, the winner of the main event in each category will pocket 4m/- each and the first runner-up will be presented with 2m/- while the second runner-up will take home 1m/- each. Winners of last year's event, which was dominated by Kenyan athletes, got 3m/- each and the 1st and 2nd runners-up took home 1.5m/- and 850,000/- respectively.

During the launch, the government commended the good work done by the organizers and sponsors of Kilimanjaro Marathon which has enabled the event to gain popularity internationally plus promoting the country's tourism sector. The acknowledgement came from the Deputy Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Information, Youth, Culture and Sports, Elisante Ole Gabriel.

Ole Gabriel assured them that the government is ready to lend a supporting hand whenever required as to ensure the success of event prevails. Other sponsors of the event are Vodacom, who are managing the 5km Fun Run and GAPCO, who are supporting the 21km race for people with disabilities. Also in the sponsorship list are Simba Cement, CFAO Motors, KK Security, Key Hotel, TPC Sugar, FNB Bank and Kilimanjaro drinking Water.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201311140091.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
Zanzibar Aims to Become Leading Tourism Destination in Indian Ocean

04 DECEMBER 2013
A new marketing program was endorsed last week by Zanzibar's Ministry of Information, Culture, Tourism and Sports to drive the islands' tourist economy to the top destination spot in the Indian Ocean.

The program, called 'Destination Zanzibar', will be driven by Stone Town Based destination management company, Grassroots Traveler, and will compete with the Maldives and Seychelles Islands, which have long been top Indian Ocean destinations due to heavy investments in the tourism sector.

Preliminary promotional activities are already underway in the Gulf States, which were specifically selected due to their diversified market and status as an untapped region for advertising travel to Zanzibar.

In addition to its well-established reputation for pristine beaches and exotic ambiance, 'Destination Zanzibar' also aims to showcase the island as an environmentally sustainable destination with a variety of cultural events and experiences that will heighten the travel experience.

Tourism is Zanzibar's leading source of revenue, earning 72% of the islands' foreign currency and 27% of its annual GDP.

http://www.tanzaniainvest.com/tourism/news/940-zanzibar-leading-tourism-destination-indian-ocean

·
18,810 Posts
Tanzania: Israel to Send Direct Weekly Flights to Kilimanjaro

The Northern Zone Tourism Circuit will effective next year be receiving at least 150 leisure travelers aboard direct flights from Israel every week during peak season as Jerusalem braces to send here over 6000 tourists every year.

The path-finding flight from Tel-Aviv to Kilimanjaro International Airport with more than 150 travelers from Jerusalem, among them 10 physically challenged persons and representatives from various Israeli media outlets has successfully accomplished its maiden voyage beginning of December.

They used a chattered EL AL Israel Airlines the same company which will be used in the direct flights between Jerusalem and Kilimanjaro effective next April (2014).

EL AL Israel Airlines scheduled to land at KIA weekly effective April 2014.

"The tourists from Israel stayed here for nearly two weeks, with the handicapped persons taking the challenge of scaling Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest peak on the continent, while the rest sampled Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti National Park and Lake Manyara," stated Mr Geoffrey Tengeneza the Communications Officer with the Tanzania Tourist Board (TTB).

The Menelik operated, 'Safari Company,' of Tel-Aviv is organizing the Israel-Tanzania tourism- oriented flights. The firm's Managing Director Ms Ronit Hershkovitz said in addition to bringing tourists to KIA the airlines intend to pick Tanzanians heading for their pilgrimage from Kilimanjaro to Jerusalem and that direct flights between the two destinations take only 5 hours.

"We have been experiencing a number of Tanzanians as well as East Africans who travel to the Holy City for pilgrimage or simply to sample the sites described in their Holy Books, this is also a niche market for our direct flights," explained Ms Hershkovitz.

As for her experience in Tanzania's Northern Circuit, Ms Hershkovitz said it was awesome to an extent of making her spend her last cent on the touring experience; "I am totally broke but extremely satisfied and I am sure all Israelis back home will be happy to see what I saw!"

Mr Willy Lyimo, Arusha Branch Manager for the Tanzania Tourist Board points out that, for years, the visitors who come into the country hailed mostly from the United States of America, United Kingdom and other European countries hence the breakthrough to the Middle East was extremely important to the growing industry.

Starting from April 2014, El Al Israel airlines will be running four flights each month (once a week) in April, May, June, July, August, September and December between Tel-Aviv and Kilimanjaro, and these are expected to bring more than 6000 tourists from Jerusalem every year.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201312160279.html?aa_source=acrdn-f0

·
3,006 Posts
Mkuu hii propmo kali sana aisee, tayari nimeiweka kule Oasis....:cheers:
By the way inabidi ihamishiwe upande wa tousirm videos...

Reactions: kiligoland

·
18,810 Posts
Tanzania president says poaching boom threatens elephant population

(Reuters) - Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete said his country's elephant herds faced extinction following a wildlife poaching boom in east Africa's second-largest economy.

Kikwete said a new census at the Selous-Mikumi ecosystem, one of the country's biggest wildlife sanctuaries, revealed the elephant population had plummeted to just 13,084 from 38,975 in 2009, representing a 66-percent decline.

The president announced plans to call for a global ban in the trade of ivory and rhino horn, as a new wave of poaching is threatening its elephant and rhino populations.

"There is every sign that this animal (elephant) will become extinct in the near future if deliberate efforts are not taken to protect these herds," Kikwete said in a speech released by his office on Thursday.

"If this (ivory and rhino horn) trade is ended, not a single elephant will be killed. There won't be any incentive for poaching."

He said elephant slaughter in Tanzania declined sharply after 1987 when the government launched a major anti-poaching operation, which led to an increase in herds from 55,000 in 1989 to 110,000 in 2009.

But the poaching has revived in recent years, driven by fast-rising demand for ivory and rhino horn in Asia in tandem with growing Chinese influence and investment in Africa.

Kikwete appealed for assistance from the international community in fighting poachers, saying game rangers were overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the problem, with the area of the country's wildlife sanctuaries "nearly the size of the United Kingdom" at 232,535 square kilometers.

"We need technical assistance, funding and technology to … enable us to employ more game rangers and to give us modern technology to tackle poachers," he said.

In a separate statement released late on Wednesday, the Tanzanian president's office said the country had confiscated close to 20 tons of ivory between 2010 and 2013.

"The government is finalizing the employment of 900 more staff for the wildlife division ... However, the government still needs more equipment to match the existing challenges in wildlife conservation," the president's office said.

President Kikwete in December sacked four government ministers following accusations of abuses committed by security forces during a huge operation against wildlife poaching.

The government said it was now finalizing plans to re-launch the anti-poaching operation.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/13/us-tanzania-poaching-idUSBREA1C1CK20140213

·
18,810 Posts
Safari Njema: How to Road Trip Through Tanzania

When I first visited Tanzania in 2010, I brought only a carry-on suitcase and a small backpack. I was intending to be there for just three weeks.

I didn't leave until 2012.

Tanzania has a way of reeling you in. It is at once so challenging and raw, yet at the same time comforting and nurturing. It is verdant and it is arid. It is ocean and it is mountain; it is highway and it is island. For me, a 26-year-old teacher at the time, it was unlike any place I'd been before. I was in the middle of a trip around the world; I had just finished traveling through Egypt, Jordan, Israel, and Palestine, leaving Egypt only weeks before it exploded. I was in Tanzania for three weeks, and then I would move on to Vietnam.

I never made it to Vietnam.

It wasn't just the country I fell in love with, however. I met my husband there, a tall Tanzanian geography teacher, the descendant of a mighty Hehe chief. Falling in love in a new country changes everything. It makes the sun shine brighter and just for you. Suddenly the red dirt roads -- which reminded me so dearly of the orange clay in my native North Carolina -- seemed romantic; the short rain bursts in the afternoon were intimate; the skittering noise of salamanders on the tin roof became darling. Frank is the reason I stayed, why Tanzania became indelibly part of me. I birthed our first daughter there, producing the first Tanzanian-American in either of our families. During our time together in Tanzania -- before we moved to the United States -- we moved to Dar es Salaam, a coastal city far from where we began near rural, mountainous Iringa. We made monthly road trips back to Iringa, to visit Frank's family. It was an eight-hour trip westward, and during that time I became an expert on enjoying the ride. Safari, after all, is simply the Swahili word for journey.

Here is how you take a road trip in Tanzania:

You start in Dar es Salaam. When you step off the plane, you will be hit by equatorial, tropical heat, a heat that intensifies and becomes smoky-smelling as you enter the city. Spend a few days here. Eat at unmarked pubs in the city centre, where you will order beef mishkaki, smoked on a grill in front of you, and rice, kachumbari, the best roasted chicken of your life, and soda from a glass bottle (cold, if the electricity works that day). Take a dala dala (the city bus) or a bajaj rickshaw to the fish market or one of the downtown bookstores. When you need fresh air, take the ferry across part of the Indian Ocean to Kigamboni, where you will eat pilau and vitumbua. You will be excited to go on a road trip at this point, tired from the infamous Dar es Salaam traffic jams that congest the city. You will love the ocean but be ready for mountains, for elephants and banana trees.

You will truly know the trip has begun when the palm trees fade away. Suddenly, perhaps half an hour before you reach Chalinze, the tropical humidity leaves the air. You stop sweating. You watch Masai guide goats and cows along the side of the road, and watch the towns pass you by. You're surprised at how far the sprawl of Dar really goes.

Eventually you pass Chalinze by; you pass old men drinking tea by the road, by women selling ruby-red tomatoes and vibrant purple onions on makeshift stands, by boys shooting pool on a roadside pool table. You'll stop near Morogoro, cruising past where crowds of vendors vie for business, selling What's Up juice and bags of ground nuts, greasy packages of chicken and chips, and hardboiled eggs. You'll find a small shop, where you order beef soup and piles of chapatti, and you squeeze limes into your soup and thirstily down a soda.

It's time for Mikumi. Mikumi National Park is a treasure, a surprise, a reminder that you aren't home any more. As you drive down the highway towards Iringa, the highway takes you through a national park, which is only mentioned by casual "hatari" caution sides and the occasional speed bump. Suddenly, villages and small towns melt away, and it's only wide-open spaces, acacia and baobab trees. You have to pause to let a herd of elephants cross the road; you grow overwhelmed by zebra eating lunch by the side of the road, by giraffes stretching their necks for a snack, by hundreds of gazelles roaming. You've heard the Tanzanian government is considering closing down this highway, something to do with profits, but you hope they don't, you hope that every Tanzanian and traveler has the chance to drive through a national park full of elephants.

As you leave Mikumi, you can feel the pull towards Iringa. You're over halfway now, and an hour later you stop at the Comfort Hotel, a rest stop at the foothills of the mountains. Many people use this opportunity to bargain with vendors, to get cheap charcoal to take home or a basket of tomatoes. You will use this opportunity to use the bathroom, the first one you've found since your stop in Morogoro. In the shade of a mango tree, you watch busses pull in and out. You stop by one of the small shops selling food, and quickly eat some roasted chicken. You get a sleeve of shortbread cookies for the car, and continue on your way.

As you wind up the mountains, the flat lands have disappeared, and now it is lush, verdant, leafy. You see glimpses of the Ruaha River, winding through the wooded area below. Baboons sit by the side of the road, calmly watching you drive by, as if waiting for a bus; some baboons have babies clinging to their bellies, a sight so dear you must close your eyes, for just a moment. But the climb up the mountain to Iringa is some white-knuckle driving, a testament to gravity. You try not to peer into the sharp drop off the side of the road, where there is rarely any guardrail. Instead, you try to focus on the trees, on the sky.

Soon enough, you are there. Driving through more villages, passing traffic police dozing in bright white uniforms at checkpoints, past lanky dogs and laughing children and cornfields. You stop in Ipogolo first, at the feet of Iringa, pulling in behind the motorcycles and crowded daladalas at the bus stop. It's time for soup and chapatti again, this time at an unmarked restaurant where a bibi (grandmother) makes chicken soup and the best, flakiest chapatti in the country.

And then you drive up into Iringa town, up a steep, long road that winds around the mountain, past people walking up it carrying goods to sell or teenagers with schoolbooks. You'll find a hotel, and an internet café, and then you'll sit in the shade and plan your next step, as you watch Masai wander by in bright purple and red plaid, cars stirring up dust. Maybe you'll take a safari in Ruaha, or spend a few days here before returning to Dar, then Zanzibar, or Kilimanjaro. All are good choices. All are adventures, captivating, memorable. But through those adventures, the drive will cling to you, the experience of cruising through the heart of the country. There are many things I will never forget about Tanzania: the crow of roosters that woke me in Ipogolo, the bright red flame trees in Dar es Salaam, the ugali made by my mother-in-law, the feeling of falling in love walking on a red dirt road. All of that and more awaits you, awaits anyone who will be adventurous enough to seek it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katie-mgongolwa-/safari-njema-how-to-road-_b_4792321.html

·
18,810 Posts
Germany set to increase anti-poaching support to Tanzania

The Federal Republic of Germany is set to support Tanzania in anti-poaching operations using a special surveillance aircraft in the Africa’s famous Serengeti National Park.

Through this support, Germany government will also help Tanzania to control poaching in northern parts of this country where elephant and rhino species are threatened by poachers.

Hans Koeppel, Charge d’Affaires

Continue reading: http://www.eturbonews.com/43346/germany-set-increase-anti-poaching-support-tanzania

·
10,660 Posts
170 Tourists from Israel arrives for National Parks expedition​

READ MORE PHOTOS HERE

http://michuzi-matukio.blogspot.com/2014/04/170-tourists-from-israel-arrives-for.html

Israel National Airline Boeng 737-800 carrying 170 tourists arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport.

Smiling tourists from Israel after landing at Kilimanjaro International Airport.

A total of 170 tourists from Israel have arrived in the country today ready for a nine days visit in the country, which will take them through Arusha, Serengeti and Lake Manyara National Parks respectively.

Speaking during the arrival of the tourists at Kilimanjaro International Airport, Ms. Ronit Hershkovitz who is the Managing Director of the Israel based Safari Company said that the Tanzanian tourist attractions are now becoming famous in Israel and hoping that the number of Israel tourists in the country will increase tremendously in the near future following intensive promotion campaign done by her Safari Company which is the main organizer of the tour.

Tourists visit by the Israelis in to Tanzania Tourist attractions is organized jointly by the Tanzania National Parks (TANAPA) and Menelik Safari Company of Israel following the agreement reached in 2012 whereby TANAPA will offer special incentive package to attract more tourists from Israel.

While in the country, the Israel tourists will also spend time in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area as well as visiting the island of Zanzibar. Ms. Hershkovitz said that this is the second trip organized by her company the first one being held in November last year in the northern circuit tourist attractions. The tourists arrived directly at KIA from Tel Aviv through chartered Tel Aviv-based El Al Israel Airlines which will now be operating between the two countries on a monthly basis before engaging themselves into a regular flight schedules.

The Northern Tanzania tourist circuit is made up of Mount Kilimanjaro, Ngorongoro Crater, the famous Serengeti National Park, Tarangire National Park, Arusha National Park, and Lake Manyara National Park, famous for its rare tree-climbing lions.

Issued by Corporate Communications Department

Tanzania National Parks

12th April, 2014.

·
10,660 Posts

·
10,660 Posts
TANZANIA ATTRACTS MORE HIGH PROFILE BUSINESSMEN FROM USA

http://tanzaniatouristboard.com/blog/210-tanzania-attracts-more-high-profile-businessmen.html

The Minister of Natural Resources and Tourism, Hon. Lazaro Nyalandu holds talks with the Founder of Abercombie & Kent, Mr. Geoffrey Kent in VIP lounge at Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA).

In effort to promote Tanzania as a tourist Destination in US market, Tanzania Tourist Board (TTB) in collaboration with CNBC TV organized a press trip for two Television Producers to join 42 US Businessmen who visited the country from March 28th - April 1st, 2014.

CNBC is an American basic cable and satellite business news television channel that is owned by the CNBC Universal. The combined reach of CNBC and its siblings is 390 million viewers around the world. CNBC is available to approximately 96,242,000 pay television household in the United States.
The Minister of Natural Resources and Tourism, Hon. Lazaro Nyalandu speaks to the group of high profile businessmen at Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA) before their departure.

The tourists group arrived in KIA by Boeing BBJ 737 HB-110 owned by Abercombie & Kent.

·
18,810 Posts
Conservationists from Tanzania and Mexico Win 2014 National Geographic/Buffett Awards

Biologist Enriqueta Velarde, a researcher at the University of Veracruz’s Institute of Marine Sciences and Fisheries in Mexico, who has devoted 35 years to studying and conserving the seabirds of the Gulf of California’s Isla Rasa, is the 2014 winner of the National Geographic Society/Buffett Award for Leadership in Latin American Conservation. Scientist and biologist Benezeth Mutayoba, professor at Tanzania’s Sokoine University of Agriculture and vice chairman of the Tanzania Elephant Protection Society, who highlights the plight of African elephants and the bushmeat crisis in Africa, is this year’s recipient of the National Geographic Society/Buffett Award for Leadership in African Conservation.

For more than a decade and a half, Benezeth Mutayoba, a professor at Sokoine University of Agriculture’s Department of Veterinary Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Toxicology, has engaged in challenging conservation research, especially on elephants and the bushmeat trade, and has mentored students to take action to protect their unique natural heritage.

Among his many conservation accomplishments was to develop, with colleagues, mitochondrial DNA testing methods to identify bushmeat sold illegally as domestic beef and pork to hotels in Tanzania and other East African countries. His technique is now used by scientists in other parts of Africa. He also served as a member of the Bushmeat Crisis Task Force aimed at identifying and supporting solutions that effectively respond to the bushmeat crisis around the world

Continue reading: http://newswatch.nationalgeographic...o-win-2014-national-geographicbuffett-awards/

·
18,810 Posts
Luxury hotels: Two resorts in Tanzania rank among world's most expensive hotels

wo luxury resorts in Tanzania are listed among the most expensive hotels in the world. A recent survey conducted by TravelMag.com came to this conclusion after comparing the summer rates of luxury hotels across the globe.

The survey established the world’s 20 most expensive luxury hotels for the months of July and August 2014, the main summer holiday period. The minimum price a couple can expect to spend to stay at each respective hotel served as the survey’s basis of comparison.

The Singita Sasakwa Lodge, a ranch-style hotel set on a hill with panoramic views of the Serengeti Plains, ranks as the seventh most expensive accommodation in the world. A price tag of $3,700 per night for a vacationing couple during the 2014 summer months catapulted this hotel into the Top 10. A bit cheaper, and rounding out the Top 10, is the Mnemba Island Lodge. Situated on an exclusive island about three miles away from the northeastern tip of Zanzibar, this hotel is charging couples $3,100 nightly this summer, according to the survey.

Honors for the most expensive hotel in the world go to North Island Lodge. To stay overnight at this private island resort located in the Seychelles, a vacationing couple can anticipate spending, on average, $6,995. Another two private island resorts, a second in the Seychelles and one in Fiji, rank second and third most expensive in the world.

Following are the world’s 10 most expensive hotels. The rates listed reflect the average nightly amount a couple has to spend to stay at each respective resort during the summer period spanning July 1 through August 31, 2014.
http://www.eturbonews.com/48101/luxury-hotels-two-resorts-tanzania-rank-among-worlds-most-expens

181 - 200 of 222 Posts