SkyscraperCity banner

681 - 700 of 1621 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
This is a fantastic addition to the south bank, the brutal over bearing quality of Tate modern is its strong point, and this is even better. With its use of material and the way it plays with light.

Some people are just never happy and seem to lack the skills to see things in a new light.

·
16,683 Posts
.Adam said:
This is a fantastic addition to the south bank, the brutal over bearing quality of Tate modern is its strong point, and this is even better. With its use of material and the way it plays with light.

Some people are just never happy and seem to lack the skills to see things in a new light.
I don't 'lack the skills', I'm not stupid.

·
cockney sparrow
4,460 Posts
This isn't prejudice, I just don't like this building. Why us this do hard to understand? I have said nowhere it should be a neoclassical building. Modern is quite appropriate for this site.
You didn't just say you don't like it, you said it is bad and oppressive, those are two statements to be debated.

If you don't want to be challenged on what you post, don't post.

·
cockney sparrow
4,460 Posts
I haven't falsified any statements by you, I've been careful to quote only that which you have posted, anything else has been inference. If I have falsified any statements by you feel free to ban me.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I love the design but do have serious qualms about the brick facing.

How on earth are they going to keep it clean? It is a perfect cliff face for nesting pidgeons so it will have to be netted. Webs, leaves, detritis, dust will all have to be regularly removed to stop Budlia growing and what about the freeze thaw effect of water collecting in all those cavities. Not to mention the security fence that will have to errected to prevent people climbing it.

·
cockney sparrow
4,460 Posts
The groundlevel will have sheerfaced brick walls without gaps so there will be no need for a fence.

I am not sure about some of the other points metroranger raises but I do know that it is possible to keep pigeons away without using netting as Birmingham's new library will be using sonic equipment to scare them off.

Anything relating to the engineering of the brickface may well be covered in the 50+ pages in the planning document that relate to the facade. Feel free to check it out before believing the architects and engineers have overlooked it.

·
Thermobaric Thagomizer
19,067 Posts
Better is human scale, better is looking at what had been before to see what works and what does not. Londons most successful urban spaces are human scaled in nature, they have details to inspire and capture the imagination, old or modern. Large oppressive walls such as this have shown time and time again to fail. Mark my words, the people will hate this.
You don't even know what you want. The Tate is incredibly popular and this addition is no different to it, other than being a more modern and creative form. "Human scale" what do you even mean by that? You do know bricks are inherently human scale? You know that one fits in your hand.

·
actual gherkin
13,933 Posts
'Human Scale' means nothing. The Turbine Hall, The British Museum Courtyard... are these human scale? Are they successful?

I'm not a huge fan of this extension, I don't like the height and the general form annoys me; but good architecture celebrates its materials... and the use of brick as a kind of translucent screen is a great example of what's possible with a building material we all think we knew so well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks great in that photo, but your concerns are well founded. What were they thinking?
In a way it works similarly to a Gabion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabion

They have been used since roman times.

I find them very attractive.

PS: regarding that "we deserve better" I am happy that we are getting better than better, we are getting "best". There, anyone can say a nonsense.

·
Registered Abuser
17,024 Posts
Words cannot express how much I am excited about this development. I'm a big fan of Herzog & de Meuron.

Upon completion viewers to the Tate Modern will be looking at the art before they even enter the building. As well as the tower, 2 new public gardens will be created. Which will be good news to those who fear this will be too much brick to handle.

Apparently in Brick it will be 60% more energy efficient then the glass proposal.

·
Registered
869 Posts
But london lad, everything has to be 'beautiful' and survive the 'bomb test' according to the rules, even though the rules never give any examples of what this beauty actually is.
Oh dear. Clearly you're a bit stung by an argument you can't counter.

Why should I come up with examples of what beautiful is? That *should* be the job of designers and architects.

The point I've made time after time is that today, architects and planners don't consider it their *job* to make beautiful buildings and environments.

And the result is that with rare exceptions, most of what has been built in the last 40 years is shit.

I think if someone did bomb Tate Modern - a great, hulking, oppressive, square, hard-angled building that many consider ugly, quite a lot of people would be pretty bloody devastated quite frankly.
I find this quite funny really. The *only* reason that Tate Modern was scheduled for listing is that it was a fine example of the work of Giles Gilbert Scott - one of the architects who considered it important to make buildings beautiful - whether a cathedral (Liverpool) or just a lowly power station.

And beautiful it is. I'm glad they saved it, and wish they'd sort out its larger brother up the river.

Are you sure you're an architect? I suppose it makes sense. How could the vast majority of modern buildings from the last 50 years have been so miserably shit unless people with your cynicism about beauty and craft were in charge?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Incidentally, one of the issues with the original proposal and this alternative was that both severely upset the symmetry of the power station's design. The key to the design from the front is the intersection of the top horizontal beam with the vertical chimney - something that H&deM accentuated successfully with their refit.

An extension this close and so dominating the original building would always upset this balance.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am not sure about some of the other points metroranger raises but I do know that it is possible to keep pigeons away without using netting as Birmingham's new library will be using sonic equipment to scare them off.
Hilarious. You design a wall to look like the world's biggest dovecote, then you think of ways of shooing the thousands of pigeons attracted to it by a fucking loud high pitched car alarm type noise.

The system you are talking about is installed on the swiss centre carillon in Leicester Place. It is a scourge to those of us who can hear high frequency sounds.

It's just a variant of 'cat scarer'. They should be banned.

Frankly, if you need to emit loud noises that annoy a significant minority of the population to stop thousands of pigeons nesting, it's a bit of a design issue.

Anything relating to the engineering of the brickface may well be covered in the 50+ pages in the planning document that relate to the facade. Feel free to check it out before believing the architects and engineers have overlooked it.
LOL Oh yes, like those planning documents have saved us from the endless **** ups from the last 50 years of architecture haven't they.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Looking at the plan I see any future expansion, if needed, towards the east where that nasty red roofed pomo rubbish behind the globe now resides.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, well said cnapan who needs documents, arguments and reasons if one has at hand some derogative adjectives to dismiss them: planning technical documents are for idiots.

681 - 700 of 1621 Posts