1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sefton too seems to be quite common at the moment. Not had a problem with any of them when they've turned up but I can understand the frustration of those going by the book with local licences and the conditions that apply to them!

·
Banned
1,093 Posts
Getting taxis at the airport is a joke, but then Manchester Airport is a joke.

A young female friend of mine ordered an uber from Deansgate last night to Vimto Gardens, he tried to drop her off at Salford Central, she refused to get out but when the driver finally took her to Vimto Gardens he doubled the charge that was originally stated, ended up being £14. It's enough to stop people going out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A young female friend of mine ordered an uber from Deansgate last night to Vimto Gardens, he tried to drop her off at Salford Central, she refused to get out but when the driver finally took her to Vimto Gardens he doubled the charge that was originally stated, ended up being £14. It's enough to stop people going out.
For every bad Uber story I can tell you 100 good ones, and far more taxi horror stories. Anything that makes it harder for Uber drivers is a bad thing in my view. She can and probably should complain through the app in that situation, though if she stated the drop-off point as Vimto Gardens I'm not sure how that situation would've even arose.

I also caught an Uber home late last night. My driver was great, he was really friendly and incredibly chatty, well spoken etc. And then after he accidentally missed a turn off, causing a few minutes delay, he gave me a fiver in cash as compensation.

·
Registered
329 Posts
For every bad Uber story I can tell you 100 good ones, and far more taxi horror stories. Anything that makes it harder for Uber drivers is a bad thing in my view. She can and probably should complain through the app in that situation, though if she stated the drop-off point as Vimto Gardens I'm not sure how that situation would've even arose.

I also caught an Uber home late last night. My driver was great, he was really friendly and incredibly chatty, well spoken etc. And then after he accidentally missed a turn off, causing a few minutes delay, he gave me a fiver in cash as compensation.
The issue with complaining about private hire cars is that the regulator is whatever council they are licensed through. You have to remember that and then go through that council. At least you know that a hackney carriage that you flag down in Manchester is licensed by MCC. The same applies for Uber in London, you know it's licensed by TFL.

I have tended to avoid Uber, when there is a reasonable alternative, because they have fit the definition of an organised crime organisation for much of the past several years. The new management may be changing that, but they don't have a stellar history of legal operations.

·
Registered
26,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uber drivers are fantastic, I could easily say that every one I've used in the past year (and I use it every week) have been polite, funny and just generally a pleasure to be with.

I had the misfortune of being in Wilmslow a few months ago, bandit country. They don't have Uber there so I had to use one of those private hire things where you ring them and ask for a taxi. The guy first rang me to say he "couldn't find me" (I was at the train station), when he eventually arrived he was all huffy with me. Then I was telling him how I'm used to using Uber and he just cracked up into this racist rant about how all Uber drivers are paedophiles and how I should never get into an Uber cab.

So yeah, Uber for the win

·
Registered
993 Posts
Does advanced scheduling with Uber only work in the city centre?

I need to book a cab to the airport in the wee small hours next weekend and have tried following the instructions here - https://www.uber.com/info/scheduled-rides/uk/ - but I don’t see the cab/clock icon. I’ve ended up inadvertently ordering a couple of cabs for straight away, but luckily realised and cancelled before they turned up…

Does this icon only appear if you’re within a specific geographic location, or am I just being dull?

·
Registered
21,039 Posts
Proposal is the 10 boroughs harmonise their taxi enforcement to a single set of standards and agree the right to enforce taxis registered in each others areas. Proposed common standards would be:

*A common “fit and proper” policy, which will ensure that the same strict
standards are applied to all drivers across GM in relation to convictions
and other conduct-related matters.

*A common template for Livery, Plates and Door Signage for PHVs, to
ensure GM licensed vehicles are easily identifiable. This should help the
travelling public be more selective when deciding which vehicles and
operators to use.

*A common age policy, namely PHV when licensed must be less than 5
years of age from the date of first registration, and a licensed vehicle will
not be relicensed after it reaches 10 years of age from the date of first
registration.

*Common authorisation to allow licensing officers from all ten Districts to
enforce against each other’s licensing conditions.

And to lobby government for the law to be changed that a taxi ride must begin or end within the district the borough the taxis is licensed in. They've apparently been talking to each other since the end of last year and want the boroughs to adopt the new standards by the start of the 2019/20 financial year.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Proposal is the 10 boroughs harmonise their taxi enforcement to a single set of standards and agree the right to enforce taxis registered in each others areas. Proposed common standards would be:

*A common “fit and proper” policy, which will ensure that the same strict
standards are applied to all drivers across GM in relation to convictions
and other conduct-related matters.

*A common template for Livery, Plates and Door Signage for PHVs, to
ensure GM licensed vehicles are easily identifiable. This should help the
travelling public be more selective when deciding which vehicles and
operators to use.

*A common age policy, namely PHV when licensed must be less than 5
years of age from the date of first registration, and a licensed vehicle will
not be relicensed after it reaches 10 years of age from the date of first
registration.

*Common authorisation to allow licensing officers from all ten Districts to
enforce against each other’s licensing conditions.

And to lobby government for the law to be changed that a taxi ride must begin or end within the district the borough the taxis is licensed in. They've apparently been talking to each other since the end of last year and want the boroughs to adopt the new standards by the start of the 2019/20 financial year.
Sounds sensible and good progress to me.

·
Registered
26,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I think would be interesting is if we got a local car manufacturer (e.g. JLR) to design a taxi cab model unique to Manchester which then becomes the standard taxi for the city (similar to black cabs now).

It'd have to be cheap if we're forcing taxi drivers to buy them to make a living, and would be good if they were 100% electric or hybrid. Would support local jobs and create a new identity for the city

·
Registered
591 Posts
What I think would be interesting is if we got a local car manufacturer (e.g. JLR) to design a taxi cab model unique to Manchester which then becomes the standard taxi for the city (similar to black cabs now).

It'd have to be cheap if we're forcing taxi drivers to buy them to make a living, and would be good if they were 100% electric or hybrid. Would support local jobs and create a new identity for the city
They'd be way too expensive due to the low production volume.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Invite manufacturers to tender for the contract to provide vehicles for the taxi fleet, with strict emissions criteria among other things.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Uber drivers are fantastic, I could easily say that every one I've used in the past year (and I use it every week) have been polite, funny and just generally a pleasure to be with.

I had the misfortune of being in Wilmslow a few months ago, bandit country. They don't have Uber there so I had to use one of those private hire things where you ring them and ask for a taxi. The guy first rang me to say he "couldn't find me" (I was at the train station), when he eventually arrived he was all huffy with me. Then I was telling him how I'm used to using Uber and he just cracked up into this racist rant about how all Uber drivers are paedophiles and how I should never get into an Uber cab.

So yeah, Uber for the win
Uber isn't perfect. But if the driver goes via a longer route than they need to you can query it immediately via the app and more often than not it will automatically calculate the route and deduct money. That sort of thing should have happened years ago. Some Uber drivers directions aren't great as some moonlight as a taxi driver but you get a lot more protection.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

The maker of traditional black cabs are building manufacturing next generation electric ones in Coventry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts