Registered
161 Posts
its not concrete

i think it looks great and so modern

(iam talking about the Tehran one)

·
Registered
161 Posts
oh i thought that picture was for the old air port and the new one is in the other pictures

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
There was a new airport built by a turkish company in Tehran and it looked much better than this one!!What happened to it?

·
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
^^ It's this one. :D

It looked better than this on the renders ;)

Anyway...This airport was planned to be built before the revoltion and it's design is from that time.

IMO, It has a nice interior it's just the exterior which could be better...and they can still fix it (if they want to) :D

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
freedom said:
IMO, It has a nice interior it's just the exterior which could be better...and they can still fix it (if they want to) :D
yup! agree.. the interior looks modern and very glassy too but the control tower is abit.. :uh: need a good make-up i guess..

·
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)
1,106 Posts
#PHOTOS: IKIA (Imam Khomeini Intl Airport)

This is The Newly Made Imam Khomeini Intl Airport (IATA code:IKA;OR code:OIIE), roughly 30 km away from Tehran Mehrabad (IATA code:THR; OR code:OIII)

i took this...srry for bad quality...

Artists Rendition of IKIA

heres the real Pics i took:

heres a pic from just outside the airport, as u can see the airport is situated on a very flat piece of land, which may be useful beacuse say there is an emergency landing, the plane can land safeley without being damaged.LOL and also there is quite abit of flowers near th eentrance, beside the control tower, altogether these flowers i think cost 50,000$US, the airport Is quite beautiful and the whole project i think costed roughly 1billlionUS! the scheduled opening day for the airport was set for May 2004, the 35th aniversarry of the Islamic Revolution. But as some of you may know, the airport was delayed in its opening because the revolutionary guards closed it because they thought that the contractors, TAV (Tepe-Afken Vie) a turkish company had Ties with Israel, and beacuse some airlines such as Iran Aseman refused to operate to an airport "run by foreners". Only one plane was allowed to land which was an Airbus A330 Emirates Airlines from Dubai, the second flight from Dubai which was an Iran Air a310 was forced to land at Isfahan Intl Airport, because mehrabad didnt allow it to land there (AND IT WaS AN IRAN AIR FLIGHT!) the closing of the airport eventually came out to be a loss of 1,000,000 USD per day!
eventually in The airport is also close to the shrine of Imam Khomeini. only phase 1 of the airport has been completed, which in reality took 35 years to complete!, this is because the original design of the airport was before the revolution, but the construction only started in 1994.

heres some other info..

A new airport opened in Tehran, Iran, in May 2004. Imam Khomeini International Airport (IKIA) is equipped with advanced aviation technology and is estimated to have cost almost $1 billion. Associated investment projects, carried out by either private or public enterprises, include aircraft hangars, in-flight catering, hotel, duty-free shops, fuel supply and passenger and cargo handling facilities.

MARKET RATIONALE

This new airport will take over all domestic and international flights from the Mehrabad Airport (Tehran's other international airport). Studies carried out by the Civil Aviation Organisation (CAO) of Iran recognised that the present airport could not be upgraded and expanded to meet the expected growth levels.
Imam Khomeini International Airport is located in a 15 hectare area located some 30km to the south of Tehran on the Tehran-Qom highway. Work on the project began before the Islamic Revolution during the 1970s but was halted due to political circumstances. Overall responsibility for the project rests with the ministry for roads and transportation.

PROJECT TIMESCALE AND SIZE

Work on the airport started in 1994 and is due to progress in various phases. The first phase, completed by February 2001, initially gives a capacity of 12 million passengers and 200,000t of cargo a year. Depending on demand, the design allows for further expansion to 20 million passengers and 375,000t of cargo, with a final phase scheduled capacity of 40 million passengers and 700,000t of cargo.

RUNWAY

Phase 1 included construction of a single runway of 4,200m by 45m, with 10.5m-wide shoulders. A total of 12.8km of taxiway area connects runways with passenger and cargo terminals, hangars and a 30m-wide engine test pad. The apron area is more than 450,000m² wide to accommodate a total of 24 aircraft.

CONTROL TOWER

The 56.9m-high control tower has an area of 1,100m². The four-storey, glass-fronted technical block spans 6,800m². Navigation aids include the 755 DVOR (Doppler, very-high frequency, omni-directional radio range) supplied by the UK company Fernau, the 2020 DME (distance measuring equipment) and the Normarc ILS NM 7000 instrument landing system, providing the airport with CAT III approach and landing capability. IT HAS A FAIRLY ODD DESIGN, BECAUSE THE CONTROL TOWER IS SITUATED OUTSIDE THE AIRPORT, NOT INSIDE LIKE OTHER AIRPORTS

TERMINAL BUILDING

The passenger terminal building of 78,357m² is a three-level structure comprising a basement, departure and arrival halls at ground level, as well as a mezzanine arrivals floor. 14 air bridges link the aircraft, piers and gate lounges. 1,800 car parking spaces in a two-storey car park can be reached via footbridges. Two-level access roads separate arrivals and departures. Supporting structures include administration, services, maintenance, airport police and security guard buildings, and nearly 100 residential buildings on a 10,000m² complex.

The remote location of IKIA has placed considerable demands on the supply of utilities. A branch line was laid from the main gas trunk line to the east of the Qum highway, while wells were drilled for water supply. This is only sufficient for a few years of operations and the eventual aim is to transfer and treat water from Tehran's reservoirs. Tehran refinery is establishing a fuel supply through a new 250mm-diameter pipeline, 33km long. Distribution of utilities around the airport will be facilitated via a 2,850m concrete tunnel. Telecommunications contracts have been awarded and work is in progress to link the new airport to Mehrabad with around 400 communication lines, increasing to 2,000 lines in the future.

PHASE 2 of the airport is also set to be completed, including a Terminal 2 and resedential Area.

people might think that IKIA will compete with DIA (dubai intl airport) but this si not so. DIA has about 1,000,000m2 of room, and oh i wont go into the details, maybe later. But DIA is much bigger than IKIA, but IKIA doesnt even need to be big, i mean how many flights per day come to Iran, let alone Tehran in the first place? DIA can handle roughly 500 flights per day, whereas IKIA cant even handle half that amount.

unfortuaneteley, i wasnt able to go all the way inside the airport, so heres the pics that i got from insidee, THIS iS not The terminal, the terminal is behind the check-in sectionn (as u all know)...

The baggage claim sectionn:

And heres the view from outside the airport:

Any other questions? jus askk

·
Banned
297 Posts
Awesome man , thanx a lot .

Nainawaaz said:
Thanks for the pics....why so empty?
Becuz it only operates flights from the gulf region , which is like 15-20 flights a day for such a big airport . It kinda pisses me off that foreign airlines still didn't agree to land there . They say the runway has security issues . Well , there are planes landing for a long time now , and nothing happened yet .
I like this airport , the only disadvantage is the long distance to the city .
Anyway , it should be fully operational in near future , becuz Mehrabal Int'l is a total mess !

·
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)
1,106 Posts
it already is, flights have already been changed, the asian flights such as from Doha and Baku and Tashkent have already been transfered there, rest of the flights to transfer soon

·
Believer
105 Posts
I like the location of the airport...it has a very nice design. I am sure with this airport, the developement of the region will follow. Any big projects around the airports so far?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
ah man i dont want to land there, itl take way to long for me to get to my place in tehran :cry: and imagine how much the taxi would cost :cry: right now its like 5000tomans to amir abbad from mehrabad, itl cost a lot more from out there... stupid airport!! :cry:

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
Me like (but they need to pimp it up (at this momment the control building looks kinda like the one in Amsterdam shiphol) And they need to ad maybe 2 or 3 runways to be a international player...

·
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)
1,106 Posts
Actually, NO
i was ther in Iran! Mehrabad is not going to be A park, itll be for Domestic flights and a nother Military Base, like the two other airports beside mehrabad (Ghale Morghi and Doshan Tappeh)

IKIA is actually small, i mean believ me i was JUSt there. The airport cannot be a competitor for Dubai (REad My thread which got put into this thread, i explained alot!)

Tehran does not need a big airport because simply there arent many flights to Tehran. Dubai and IKIA will not compete, there are more than 100 Intl carriers operating to Dubai, whereas Iran has like 40-50 at the most! IkIA only needs 2 runways, in which they already have. Not 3 because they dont need it.

Dubai also opertaes around 500 flights per day, and if IKIA was to try to operate its maximum, it wouldne even reach half that amount of Dubai's

IKIA is defeniately VERRY Beuatiful and Modern and lovevly, and i agree the control tower shud be given a makeover

·
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)
1,106 Posts
And, Iran IS going to be, and already is a Main Traffic area for Air Traffic, because it is the route to connecting Asia to Europe. It is roughly the "heart" or center of the middle east. but Air traffic is dense, not Routes to Iran, but routes THROUGH iran

21 - 40 of 444 Posts