SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3981144,00.html

Jaffa square named after Muslim leader

Tel Aviv-Jaffa municipality has decided to name a Jaffa square after Bassam Abu Zayid, who was a senior figure in the Islamic Movement in Israel and founded the movement's Jaffa branch.

Abu Zayid, who passed away in July of 2008, was considered by Jaffa's residents to be one of the foremost religious authorities.

A square located on the corner of Dolphin and Yehuda Hayamit Streets is to be named after the sheikh, who remained neutral during the internal split of the movement into northern and southern branches.

Since his death a public battle has taken place regarding his commemoration, led by Jaffa council member Ahmad Mashrawi (Meretz), who resigned from his post at the municipality over the issue.

"The fact that Sheikh Bassam was not a member of any branch, northern or southern, makes him very likeable to Jews because he made sure to maintain moderation and coexistence," Mashrawi told Ynet. "There are hundreds of streets named after Jews in Jaffa, some of them biblical characters, even in Ajami neighborhood, which is absurd."

Likud councilman Arnon Giladi expressed surprising support for the move. "The Likud supports the commemoration of people who contributed to coexistence and moderation for the benefit of Israel's prosperity, whether they were Arabs or Jews," he said.

Another street will also be named after an Arab, the seventh so far. It will carry the name of George Hananiya, who chaired Jaffa's Orthodox Union and was one of the city's most beloved leaders.

The city council is also embarking on a neighborhood-naming spree, as part of which Giladi has suggested calling his neighborhood after former Prime Minister Menachem Begin. However he encountered opposition on the part of Councilwoman Haviva Avi-Guy, of the Pensioners' Party.

"Begin was the first prime minister to bring peace. If we commemorate prime ministers, as we have the late Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, it would be proper to honor him with a neighborhood as his namesake as well," Giladi responded.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
You know what I would love to see.. your travel photos. You seem to have been everywhere

And regards to this, I guess its just honorable mention to the dude because he was a mediator. However, I am otherwise against naming after religious figures... people of importance sure, but when that importance is backed by ideology I don't like it.

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know what I would love to see.. your travel photos. You seem to have been everywhere

And regards to this, I guess its just honorable mention to the dude because he was a mediator. However, I am otherwise against naming after religious figures... people of importance sure, but when that importance is backed by ideology I don't like it.
I sure would love to see his photos from his trip to Lebanon and other MENA countries (outside of Turkey, Jordan, Egypt and Israel).

·
Banned
1,336 Posts

I never take pictures. I probably should but packing a camera is just another chore and I like to travel light.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
חבר1.0;66709925 said:
I sure would love to see his photos from his trip to Lebanon and other MENA countries (outside of Turkey, Jordan, Egypt and Israel).
The most beautiful city in the ME is Istanbul. There is nothing like it. The bridges, the layout, the center, etc. are stunning. The only thing that is always annoying are the rug salesmen. They strategically stand near the tourist sites, give direction but than become irritated if you refuse their request to visit the stores.

It is one of their shticks. They demonstrate emotions, irritation, raise their voice and use their low level psychology to entice a tourist.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
חבר1.0;66710685 said:
Cameras these days weigh practically nothing. Not even 0.5 pounds. I don't understand how anyone can fly half way around the world to visit some exotic foreign country and be too lazy to pack a camera because it's "too heavy". Doesn't make any sense.
LOL, I lost enough of them. You can take pictures for me and post them on the internet.

·
"Chewie, we're home"
8,023 Posts
חבר1.0;66709327 said:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3981144,00.html

Jaffa square named after Muslim leader

Tel Aviv-Jaffa municipality has decided to name a Jaffa square after Bassam Abu Zayid, who was a senior figure in the Islamic Movement in Israel and founded the movement's Jaffa branch.

Abu Zayid, who passed away in July of 2008, was considered by Jaffa's residents to be one of the foremost religious authorities.

A square located on the corner of Dolphin and Yehuda Hayamit Streets is to be named after the sheikh, who remained neutral during the internal split of the movement into northern and southern branches.

Since his death a public battle has taken place regarding his commemoration, led by Jaffa council member Ahmad Mashrawi (Meretz), who resigned from his post at the municipality over the issue.

"The fact that Sheikh Bassam was not a member of any branch, northern or southern, makes him very likeable to Jews because he made sure to maintain moderation and coexistence," Mashrawi told Ynet. "There are hundreds of streets named after Jews in Jaffa, some of them biblical characters, even in Ajami neighborhood, which is absurd."

Likud councilman Arnon Giladi expressed surprising support for the move. "The Likud supports the commemoration of people who contributed to coexistence and moderation for the benefit of Israel's prosperity, whether they were Arabs or Jews," he said.

Another street will also be named after an Arab, the seventh so far. It will carry the name of George Hananiya, who chaired Jaffa's Orthodox Union and was one of the city's most beloved leaders.

The city council is also embarking on a neighborhood-naming spree, as part of which Giladi has suggested calling his neighborhood after former Prime Minister Menachem Begin. However he encountered opposition on the part of Councilwoman Haviva Avi-Guy, of the Pensioners' Party.

"Begin was the first prime minister to bring peace. If we commemorate prime ministers, as we have the late Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, it would be proper to honor him with a neighborhood as his namesake as well," Giladi responded.
Wanna bet an Israeli policeman shouting to a Palestinian Arab is a hundredfold more likely to make the headlines than this news? Unfortunately, nobody cares about good actions coming from Israel. Or wrongdoings by Arabs. Only Israeli supposed actions against Arabs. Simple as that...

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
^^
i think its the same both ways ,, :eek:hno:

it is sad
It is not. When the Hamastani terrorists fire at Israel the reporters keep silent. When Israel responds it is the front page news. That is the Jewish reality. If the PM of Israel passes gas it is the front page news as well. Israel is under a microscope 24/7. There are more international reporters in Jerusalem than either in London or Delhi.

Jews are news!

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
^^
i don't think Israel is " so hated around the world "
Unfortunately, Israel is hated. That is again the Jewish reality. It is also represents a challenge. Jews need to survive and move forward despite all obstacles. The Jews have no option but think outside the box. Regardless, it is nothing new. They had to survive in Morocco, Iraq, Russia or Romania. Now the world is challenging them in their historical homeland. 70% of all UNGA resolutions are directed against one tiny country. However, despite all current tribulations the Israelis are amazing. They have come a long way. If just 65 years ago the Jews obediently marched into the European gas chambers these days they can respond and when they do it hurts.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
חבר1.0;66717309 said:
Russel, are you on facebook? Add me: "Assaf Cohen"
Sorry, I am not into the Beilinists, the wayward creatures, the low.......Kapos or anything of that nature. On the other hand, I would gladly add Yaghuth from Saudi Arabia.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts