SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
love it!!!pivko is one of the best architects in israel.this project fits well in tel aviv.human, modern and playfull,unlike ugly boring glass towers.thanks for good architecture.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well while edumviort has been criticizing everything today, i have to agree with him on this one, they are very ugly, and for a reason remind me of dreidels...
edumviort comes in to hate..
he is a hater. he writes 1-2 ok comments to mask writing 50 negative ones

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It's good if people like edumvior have a strong opinion. But they need to explain why and what are the reasons for their judgement.

Especially with a building like this, I find it difficult to decide. (although Pivko usually turns out well)

(I find the dreidel shapes of the buildings are beautiful, but those asymmetrical window slots uglify whole thing.)

·
8,674 Posts
Well, I hate Pivko's famous "dick" tower in Ramat Gan, but this particular design is kinda nice in my opinion.
I would need to see the whole area to pass judgment though as this picture is obviously is made up and doesn't reflect the real surroundings of the site.

·
8,674 Posts
Its called Migdal HaGan I think.
You can see it from Ayalon as you go north as the last tower after City tower,Ayalon tower etc.
Funny thing is, I actually have visited this tower and was on its top floor a few times :)
The view is obviously amazing ,but the tower itself is pretty ugly.

·
NYC
424 Posts
edumviort comes in to hate..
he is a hater. he writes 1-2 ok comments to mask writing 50 negative ones
That is just nonsense.
I've been posting thousands of pictures and making many comments; some of them good and some of the bad- just as architectural developments in Israel are- some of there are great and others (sadly,many) are just simply mediocre.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That is just nonsense.
I've been posting thousands of pictures and making many comments; some of them good and some of the bad- just as architectural developments in Israel are- some of there are great and others (sadly,many) are just simply mediocre.
Even the most mediocre projects in Israel are generally effecting an improvement, since they are knocking over and replacing those 1950s-1970s shikunim which were uninhabitable.

·
8,674 Posts
edumviort, thats the nature of urban development.
Most projects are mediocre.
You can't have a city all made up of architectural works of art, it wouldn't be practical either financially or technically.
The thing about mediocre projects is, that they shouldn't be terrible to the point as to make lives of their inhabitants (or neighbors) miserable.
Other then that I don't mind most projects being mediocre in looks and quality.
Moreover from pure economical reasons we want them to be mediocre so they are affordable for general public.

·
NYC
424 Posts
edumviort, thats the nature of urban development.
Most projects are mediocre.
You can't have a city all made up of architectural works of art, it wouldn't be practical either financially or technically.
The thing about mediocre projects is, that they shouldn't be terrible to the point as to make lives of their inhabitants (or neighbors) miserable.
Other then that I don't mind most projects being mediocre in looks and quality.
Moreover from pure economical reasons we want them to be mediocre so they are affordable for general public.
I wouldn't call Ramit Aviv or the developments around the sea as " affordable to the general public". That's the sad thing about Tel Aviv; that they are building ugly stuff at very ugly prices

·
8,674 Posts
Well, sure most stuff in Northern Tel Aviv is bland.
Apartments are expensive there because of the location though.
If they used famous architects and built architectural masterpieces instead of boring blocks, the prices would be even higher.
Even rich people usually prefer to to pay less and since most of them buy these apartments for practical reasons (either investment or for living) they would rather pay less then more for something they don't care so much about (being architectural merits or lack thereof in residential buildings they buy their apartments in).
People are prepared to pay for the privilege of living in Ramat Aviv, but they aren't prepared to pay for a privilege of having some famous architect design their building.

In any case I believe there are enough good looking buildings being built in Tel Aviv now especially if you consider that Tel Aviv has a lot of construction going on compared to most European cities.
Add to that insane amount of renovation going on and I will say you shouldn't be so negative about Tel Aviv's development.

Regarding towers there are plenty of really good looking ones being built or recently completed in Tel Aviv.
There is First International tower which I think you will agree has a pretty special design even on the world scale.
Most other towers along Rotschild while not being unique in design so far came out very nicely and I think added a lot to Tel Aviv's urban landscape.
These towers are the reason Rotschild blvd is now undergoing a revival it didn't have in the last 50 years.

For other locations which in my opinion are developing properly I could name Kiria (South Kiria and Sharona).
new Sharona hotel and Azriely Sharona aren't half bad.
The old templar's houses were revived and the area looks simply great.
Again thanks to the towers being built around the place.

You also have Northern Begin strip which we will see rising in 3-5 years and new towers along Ayalon bank both in Tel Aviv and Ramat Gan .
Most of these towers are at least no worse in looks then towers in any major financial center around the world.

Granted residential towers aren't so great, but name me any big city with residential towers looking good.
In most places they are either bland or downright ugly.
Have you seen high rise residential blocks in China?
You have to admit though that in Israel the fear of residential towers turning into slums as some have predicted didn't materialize (perhaps its too early).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts