# 210 East Timor: 1.166 per 1,000 people
# 211 Burma: 0.844 per 1,000 people

This is mostly a Year 2007 data at
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/int_use_percap-internet-users-per-capita

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So in summary, Ethiopia is in both lists, the slowest and the least covered in the world.

Just in case you did not notice, Ethiopia is the only country in both lists, making it the very worst, dead last, in the world when it comes to internet access.

Internet access is not only extremely slow in the world, its the hardest to find in the world, whatever slow access is available.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, I tell you this so that you can share my pain.

ክቡራትና ክቡራን ኢትዮጵያን
እዩልኝ ስሙልኝ ጭንቀት ስቆቃዬን
ወሎ ተርቦ እኒዲያ ሲያልቅ
ታውሮ ነበር ነገር እንዳያቅ

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Internet access is specially essential in poor countries. Its specially needed in the rural areas where communication or the lack of it is oppressive.

I remember very vividly, the PM Meles went public and announced that Ethiopia will be one of the most covered countries in Africa, little did he know he was dealing with a rotten corporation called ETC.
Here we are after close to 6 years since then Ethiopia still suffers from a bad bad access to information

·
Registered
642 Posts
It is clearly obvious that ETC is the worst government institution in Ethiopia and the world ( period). The funny thing is they are not even pretending to do something about it, nothing at all. A small private company can do what they haven't been able to do for ever in less than 10 years.
On the flip side, Ethiopia's economy has been growing for the past 5 years at a very good rate without any help from the ETC, so just imagine how much the economy will be transformed when either a) After the election, there is more representation of opposition party members in the parliament or b) we elect a brand new party and leader into power, one that is patriotic, pragmatic and economically more liberal that this pseudo democratic leadership we got going on for 2 decades now. or c) [ this one is wishful thinking, but hey never say never, right?] making ETC more open to the private sector or completely replacing the Executive board of ETC by experienced, effective leaders from other institutions including foreign companies to handle the management of this failed institution.
There was a story I found a few weeks ago about the government trying to give the management responsibilities of ETC to a foreign company under the ownership of the government, but I don't believe it until I see it.
Here is the link of the story, it sounds more to be like a rumor than anything else, but here you go.

http://www.capitalethiopia.com/inde...le-to-liberalise&catid=12:local-news&Itemid=4

[ FYI: I made a mistake about replacement of management, its more like running the day to day operations ]

·
Registered
642 Posts
Internet access is specially essential in poor countries. Its specially needed in the rural areas where communication or the lack of it is oppressive.

I remember very vividly, the PM Meles went public and announced that Ethiopia will be one of the most covered countries in Africa, little did he know he was dealing with a rotten corporation called ETC.
Here we are after close to 6 years since then Ethiopia still suffers from a bad bad access to information
I am sorry but you seem to think that Meles wants more coverage but that the corporation was corrupt, I am sorry I completely disagree. I believe coverage of information is not his or his administration's top priority, if it was believe me he would get it DONE. Imagine you were in his position what would have done after being in office for 2 decades? ... at least cover half of the country, that is if you are doing a lousy job of governing. Meles's ( or I should say TPLF's) main economic principle is agricultural led development, we all know this and we have heard time and time again.
So, my point is the leadership IS NOT INTERESTED in expanding coverage. For those of us who have travelled outside of Addis Ababa, we know how scared the government is about access to information, whether it be newspapers, TV, radio, internet, phone communications .... everything is censored.
The situation of ETC is something that bugs me every time I think about Ethiopia, as bad as everything is, ETC is just on a different level that any other institution in the country. The problem with this government is unless they think something is good and needs our priority they wont do it, whether the people want it or not. They are very good in executing a project which they think is important, for example, road projects and hydroelectric projects; they have done more construction of these two things in the past 5 years than any other Ethiopian government has done combined so far. But, they have completely ignored other sectors, especially REFORMING F****** ETC, a complete and utter failure of epic proportions. I am sorry, it is just unacceptable in the 21st century for us to not have the option of providing a high speed internet, and cell phones, plain bullshit is what it is.
If I was the leader, the very first thing I would do is the complete re-structuring of ETC and open it up for private companies, because if we wont do what is takes someone else will.

FYI: I am neither a supporter nor an opposition of EPRDF, but a mere observer, I don't playing OLD politics when we have real problems to deal with.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
FYI: I am neither a supporter nor an opposition of EPRDF, but a mere observer, I don't playing OLD politics when we have real problems to deal with.
Thanx for sharing my pain. I needed to get that off my chest. I feel so terrible and suffocated about this issue. Its nice to know someone out there feels the same way. I know its not fair to you but I have to be selfish on this because the pain I feel is unbearable.

I am hoping the opposition will make of this an issue of political contention. ETC and ETV both are about access to information. They should make this a campaign issue.

As you said though, keeping rural people ignorant is a political capital for the government, assuming they have calculated those in the rural regions care about their daily bread rather than internet access. However internet and airwaves access is not a matter of luxury. This is what the opposition need to hit home within the broad masses. Information is power. In fact this should be the moto of the opposition. They could at least hurt the government some so that it will learn to be careful in the coming years.

Should we send this as a suggestion to the opposition?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I am hoping the opposition will make of this an issue of political contention. ETC and ETV both are about access to information. They should make this a campaign issue.

As you said though, keeping rural people ignorant is a political capital for the government, assuming they have calculated those in the rural regions care about their daily bread rather than internet access. However internet and airwaves access is not a matter of luxury. This is what the opposition need to hit home within the broad masses. Information is power. In fact this should be the moto of the opposition. They could at least hurt the government some so that it will learn to be careful in the coming years.

Should we send this as a suggestion to the opposition?
Honestly, even the opposition except for few leaders, most of them are not that different from the current regime. They are all part of the old gang, I don't see them as being the charismatic, energetic, and innovative leaders I envision Ethiopia to have. We need new blood in the leadership, but it will take at least a decade before we can get rid of the "Exit generation" as I like to call them. I have listened to a few of their slogans, and heard them chanting this and that, I never head them mention anything about access to information. They know it doesn't exist but they are not eloquent enough to express their ideologies in a clear and logical way, unfortunately.
But, that being said if you can find someone to listen to you, it will definitely hit home.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
የመለከታቸዋል ላልኳቸው የዜና ማሰራጫ ጣቢያዎች የላኩት መልእክት

To [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
CC [email protected]

subject- How bad is ETC (የኢትዮጵያ ቴለኮሚዮኒኬሽን መጥፎነት ደረጃ )

Hello to everyone. Please address this to the Amharic departments of your centers.

ጤና ይስጥልኝ ከቡራትና ክቡራን ኢትዮጵያውያን። ከዚሀ ቀጥሎ የምታዮት በውሂብ የተደገፈ ዘገባ እናንተን ኢትዮጵያውያንን በተስማራችሁበት የመረጃ ማሰራጫ ተግባር ይህንን ጉዳይ እልባት ለማስገኘት የምትችሉትን ሚና እንድትጫወቱ የሚጋብዘ ጥሪ ነው።

ብዙዎቻችን ስለኢትዮጵያ ጉዳይ የምንጨነቅ ማሳዳውያን ሰለ ኢትዮጵያ ቴለኮሙኒኬሽን የብቃት መጠን ማነስ የምናውቀው ቢሆንም፣ በያለንበት ሆነን መሻሻል እንዲታይ፣ እንዲዘገብ መመኘታችን አልቀርም። ዳሩ ግን፣ ከድጡ ወደ ማጡ እንዲሉ የዚህ ባለሥልጣን መ/ቤት የስራ ውጤት ደረጃው እያሽቆለቆለ ነው የሄደው።

ከዚህ ኢ-መልእክት ጋር የተያያዘውን ዶሴ እና ከዝህ ታች በተራ-ቁ 2 ላይ የተዘረዘረውን ተመልከቱ።

1. የተያያዘው ዶሴ፣ ማለትም slowctries.JPG የተባለው ዶሴ http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2010/01/13/4569627.htm ከተባለ መካነ-ደር የተወሰድ ነው። የህ በ 2009 እኤአ የተዘገበ መረጃ ነው

2. እንዲሁም ይህንን ተመልከቱ
# 202 Ethiopia: 3.803 per 1,000 people
# 203 Congo, 3.504 per 1,000 people
# 204 Bangladesh: 3.323 per 1,000 people
# 205 Central African Republic:3.174 per 1,000 people
# 206 Tajikistan: 2.977 per 1,000 people
# 207 Niger: 2.775 per 1,000 people
# 208 Sierra Leone: 2.116 per 1,000 people
# 209 Iraq: 1.964 per 1,000 people

ይህ ከላይ የምታዩት የጥናት ዝርዝር http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/in...ers-per-capita ከሚባል መካነ-ደር የተወሰደ ነው። ይህ በ 2007 እኤአ የተዘገበ መረጃ ነው።

slowctries.JPG የተባለው ዶሴ የሚያሳየው በአለም ላይ በጣም ዳተኛ የአለም-መረባዊ ግንኙነት ያላቸውን ሃገራት የሚዘረዝር ሲሆን፣ ኢትዮጵያ እንደምታዩት ከአለም ከመጨራሻ 9ነኛ ደረጃ ይዛለች። ይህ የዳተኛ ወይንም ቀርፋፋ የአለም መረብ ይዘት ያላቸውን ሃገራት የሚያሳይ ነው። ሆኖም ግን ይህ ዳተኛ ቅጥያ ራሱ ምን ያህል ስርጭት እንዳለው ለማየት ካላይ ተራ-ቁ 2 ላይ የተዘረዘረውን የጥናት ውሂብ ተመልከቱ።

ይህ ዝርዝር የሚያሳይው መንድን ነው፣ ባለው ህዝብ ብዛት መጠን አንፃር ሲለካ የትኞቹ ሃገራት አናሳ የመረብ ቅጥያ ወይንም መገናኛ እንዳላቸው ይገልፃል። እንደምታዩት ኢትዮጵያ በ 202 ኛ ደረጃ ላይ ትገኛለች።

ልብ እንድትሉ፣ ከሁለቱ ዝርዝሮች ኢትዮጵያ ብቻ ናት ተመዝግባ የምትገኘው። ይህ ማለት፣ ኢትዮጵያ በአለም ላይ የመጨራሻው ቀርፋፋ ቅጥያ ያለባት ሃገር ስትሆን፣ ኢንዲሁም የመረብ ቅጥያ ጭራሹን ለማግኘት የሚያስቸግርባት ሃገር ናት። ማለት እድግዲህ ኢትዮጵያ ውስጥ የመረብ ቅጥያ ማግኘት በጣም አስቸጋሪ ነው፣ ቢገኝም እጅግ ቀርፋፋ ነው።

አስታውሳለሁ በ 2005 እንደ አውሮፓውያን አቆጣጠር፣ ጠ/ም መለስ ከአደባባይ ቀርበው ኢትዮጵያ፣ በ 5 አመታት ውስጥ ከአፍሪካ ውስጥ ፈጣን የመረብ ቅጥያ ከሚገኝባቸው ሃገሮች አንዷ ትሆናለች ብለው ተናገርው ነበር። እነሆ ከ 6 አመታት በኋላ ኢትዮጵያ በዚህ ረገድ አዘቅት ውስጥ ተገኛለች።

ስለዚህ አሁን ኢትዮጵያ ውስጥ በሚደረገው ሥነ-መንግስታዊ የሥልጣን ውድድር ወቅት ይህ ጉዳይ እንደ አንድ አብይ ነጥብ ተወስዶ ክርክርና፣ ግሳፄ እንዲደረግበት የተቻላቸሁን እንድታደርጉ ጥሪ እናደርጋለሁ። የባለሥልጣኑ ፓርቲና ተቋዋሚዎች ይህ ለምን እስከ አሁን እንዳልተቀረፈና ወደፊት ምን ለማድረግና በምን ያህል ፍጥነት ቸግሩን ለመፍታት እንችላለን እንደሚሉ ለህዝብ እንዲያስታውቁ ታደርጉ ዘንድ ጥሪ እናደርጋለሁ።

በነገራችን ላይ ስለዚሁ ጉዳይና ስለጠቅላላው የኢትዮጵያ ጭብጣዊ ይዘት የምንነጋገርበት ድረ-ገፅ እነሆ
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=50292327#post50292327

ሰላም ለሁላችሁ ኢትዮጵያውያኖች
መልካም ግዜ

·
Registered
642 Posts
To [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
CC [email protected]

subject- How bad is ETC (የኢትዮጵያ ቴለኮሚዮኒኬሽን መጥፎነት ደረጃ )

Hello to everyone. Please address this to the Amharic departments of your centers.

ጤና ይስጥልኝ ከቡራትና ክቡራን ኢትዮጵያውያን። ከዚሀ ቀጥሎ የምታዮት በውሂብ የተደገፈ ማመልከቻ እናንተን ኢትዮጵያውያንን በተስማራችሁበት የመረጃ ማሰራጫ ተግባር ይህንን ጉዳይ እልባት ለማስገኘት የምትችሉት ሚና እንድትጫወቱ የሚጋብዘ ጥሪ ነው።

እንደምታውቁት ብዙዎቻችን ስለኢትዮጵያ ጉዳይ የምንጨነቅ ማሳዳውያን ሰለ ኢትዮጵያ ቴለኮሙኒኬሽን የብቃት ደረጃ ማነስ የምናውቀው ቢሆንም፣ በያለንበት መሻሻል እንዲታይ፣ እንዲዘገብ መመኘታችን አልቀርም። ዳሩ ግን፣ ከድጡ ወደ ማጡ እንዲሉ የዚህ ባለሥልጣን መ/ቤት የስራ ውጤት ደረጃው እያሽቆለቆለ ነው የሄደው።

ከዚህ ኢ-መልእክት የተያያዘውና ዶሴና ከዝህ ታች በተራ-ቁ 2 ላይ የተዘረዘረውን ተመልከቱ።

1. የተያያዘው ዶሴ፣ ማለትም slowctries.JPG የተባለው ዶሴ http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2010/01/13/4569627.htm ከተባለ መካነ-ደር የተወሰድ ነው። የህ በ 2009 እኤአ የተዘገበ መረጃ ነው

2. እንዲሁም ይህንን ተመልከቱ
# 202 Ethiopia: 3.803 per 1,000 people
# 203 Congo, 3.504 per 1,000 people
# 204 Bangladesh: 3.323 per 1,000 people
# 205 Central African Republic:3.174 per 1,000 people
# 206 Tajikistan: 2.977 per 1,000 people
# 207 Niger: 2.775 per 1,000 people
# 208 Sierra Leone: 2.116 per 1,000 people
# 209 Iraq: 1.964 per 1,000 people

ይህ ከላይ የምታዩት የጥናት ዝርዝር http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/in...ers-per-capita ከሚባል መካነ-ደር የተወሰደ ነው። ይህ በ 2007 እኤአ የተዘገበ መረጃ ነው።

slowctries.JPG የተባለው ዶሴ የሚያሳየው በአለም ላይ በጣም ዳተኛ የአለም-መረባዊ ግንኙነት ያላቸውን ሃገራት የሚዘረዝር ሲሆን፣ ኢትዮጵያ እንደምታዩት ከአለም ከመጨራሻ 9ነኛ ደረጃ ይዛለች። ይህ የዳተኛ ወይንም ቀርፋፋ የአለም መረብ ይዘት ያላቸውን ሃገራት የሚያሳይ ነው። ሆኖም ግን ይህ ዳተኛ ቅጥያ ራሱ ምን ያህል ስርጭት እንዳለው ለማየት ካላይ ተራ-ቁ 2 ላይ የተዘረዘረውን የጥናት ውሂብ ተመልከቱ።

ይህ ዝርዝር የሚያሳይው መንድን ነው፣ ባለው ህዝብ ብዛት መጠን አንፃር ሲለካ የትኞቹ ሃገራት አናሳ የመረብ ቅጥያ ወይንም መገናኛ እንዳላቸው ይገልፃል። እንደምታዩት ኢትዮጵያ በ 202 ኛ ደረጃ ላይ ትገኛለች።

ልብ እንድትሉ፣ ከሁለቱ ዝርዝሮች ኢትዮጵያ ብቻ ናት ተመዝግባ የምትገኘው። ይህ ማለት፣ ኢትዮጵያ በአለም ላይ የመጨራሻው ቀርፋፋ ቅጥያ ያለባት ሃገር ስትሆን፣ ኢንዲሁም የመጨረሻዋ የመረብ ቅጥያ ጭራሹን ለማግኘት የሚያስቸግርባት ሃገር ናት። ማለት እድግዲህ ኢትዮጵያ ውስጥ የመረብ ቅጥያ ማግኘት በጣም አስቸጋሪ ነው፣ ቢገኝም እጅግ ቀርፋፋ ነው።

አስታውሳለሁ በ 2005 እንደ አውሮፓውያን አቆጣጠር፣ ጠ/ም መለስ ከህዝብ ፊት ኢትዮጵያ፣ በ 5 አመታት ውስጥ ከአፍሪካ ውስጥ ፈጣን የመረብ ቅጥያ ከሚገኝባቸው ሃገሮች አንዷ ትሆናለች ብለው ተናገርው ነበር። እነሆ ከ 6 አመታት በኋላ ኢትዮጵያ በዚህ ረገድ አዘቅት ውስጥ ተገኛለች።

ስለዚህ አሁን ኢትዮጵያ ውስጥ በሚደረገው ሥነ-መንግስታዊ የሥልጣን ውድድር ወቅት ይህ ጉዳይ እንደ አንድ አብይ ነጥብ ተወስዶ ክርክርና፣ ግሳፄ እንዲደረግበት የተቻላቸሁን እንድታደርጉ ጥሪ እናደርጋለሁ። የባለሥልጣኑ ፓርቲና ተቋዋሚዎች ይህ ለምን እስከ አሁን እንዳልተቀረፈና ወደፊት ምን ለማድረግና በምን ያህል ፍጥነት ቸግሩን ለመፍታት እንችላለን እንደሚሉ ለህዝብ እንዲያስታውቁ ታደርጉ ዘንድ ጥሪ እናደርጋለሁ።

በነገራችን ላይ ስለዚሁ ጉዳይና ስለጠቅላላው የኢትዮጵያ ጭብጣዊ ይዘት የምንነጋገርበት ድረ-ገፅ እነሆ
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=50292327#post50292327

ሰላም ለሁላችሁ ኢትዮጵያውያኖች
መልካም ግዜ
Thats some good stuff. እነ እንደዘ አድርገ መሳፍ አልችለም ይሀን ለመሳፍ የወሰደብህ ግዘ ምን ያሀል እንደሆነ ማወክ እፈልጋለሁ። ዞሮ ዞሮ እዘህ ላይ ያስከመትከዉን አበት ብሎ የመሰማን ሰው በናገን በታም ደስ ይለን ነበር ገን በዙም ተስፋ የለንም። ለ ሙከራሀ ግን :applause::applause:

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats some good stuff. እነ እንደዘ አድርገ መሳፍ አልችለም ይሀን ለመሳፍ የወሰደብህ ግዘ ምን ያሀል እንደሆነ ማወክ እፈልጋለሁ። ዞሮ ዞሮ እዘህ ላይ ያስከመትከዉን አበት ብሎ የመሰማን ሰው በናገን በታም ደስ ይለን ነበር ገን በዙም ተስፋ የለንም። ለ ሙከራሀ ግን :applause::applause:
የምታየውን ፅሁፍ ለማዘጋጀት ወደ ግማሽ ሰዓት ወስዶብኛል። አማርኛ ለመጻፍ የሚወስድብኝ ግዜ እንግሊዝኛ ለመፃፍ ከሚወስድብኝ ግዜ ጋር የተመሳሰለ ነው። እነሆ በአማርኛ መፃፍ ከጀመርኩ ወደ 4 አመታት ሆነኝ፣ ስለዚህ ልምዱ ካለ ፍጥነት ይከተላል።

በነገራችን ላይ "ሃምስ" የተባለው ወረድ ሥር የሉትን ሆሄያት ለምፃፍ እንደተቸገርክ አያለሁ። ኪይማን የምትጠቀም ከሆነ፣ የመረጃውን ፋይል ልልክልህ እችላለሁ።
እነ እንደዘ አድርገ መሳፍ አልችለም == እኔ እንደዚህ አድርጌ መፃፍ አልችልም

አዎን ሙከራ ብቻ ነው የያዝኩት። ነገር ግን ቢያንስ ቢያንስ አንድ ሰው መልስ ሊሰጠኝ ይችላል። እንዲያ ከሆነ እንደ ትልቅ እመርታ አየዋለሁ። የምታየውን መልእክት ለሁሉም ተቃዋሚ ፓርቲዎች ለመላክ ሃሳብ አለኝ። አድራሻ እየሰበሰብኩ ነው።

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
I am not surprised. I've tried Internet Cafés in Addis Ababa and I couldn't even check my Gmail. I am actually more suprised that Rwanda is almost as bad.

Is Ethiopia even connected with a fiber optic lines or is all the traffic still going trough slow exepensive satellites?

·
Banned
16,927 Posts
I think that it is connected to SEACOM but I'm not sure. There are articles in Sunday's papers about SEACOM and EASSy representatives coming to Addis to talk to the gov. The articles are not updated yet. Should be up tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Internet in Ethiopia

"Ethiopia has the second lowest Internet penetration rate in sub-Saharan Africa (only Sierra Leone’s is lower) and is currently attempting a broad expansion of access throughout the country. These efforts have been hampered by the largely rural makeup of the Ethiopian population and the government’s refusal to permit any privatization of the telecommunications market. Only 360,000 people had Internet access in June 2009, a penetration rate of 0.4 percent.24 The state-owned Ethiopian Telecommunications Corporation is the sole Internet service provider (ISP) in the country. Internet cafés are the main source of access in urban areas, and an active community of bloggers and online journalists now plays an important role in offering alternative news sources and venues for political dialogue. However, three-quarters of the country’s Internet cafés are in the capital city, and even there access is often slow and unreliable.25 A test conducted by a Media Ethiopia researcher in July 2007 determined that the average connectivity speed was 5 KBps and that Internet service in most cafés was down between 10 and 20 percent of the time.26

In 2005, Ethiopia announced plans to spend hundreds of millions of dollars over the next three years to connect all of the country’s schools, hospitals, and government offices, and most of its rural population, to broadband Internet via satellite or fiber-optic cable.27 Between 2005 and 2007, the government spent USD40 million to install WoredaNET and SchoolNET, two nationwide networks meant to increase connectivity.28 WoredaNET provides e-mail, videoconferencing and Voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP) services to local governments, and SchoolNet provides streaming audio and video through a downlink-only VSAT (Very Small Aperture Terminal) satellite. The government has pledged to dedicate 10 percent of its annual budget to the development and maintenance of these networks, which are managed by the government-run Ethiopian ICT Development Authority (EICTDA).29

Ethiopia has made several attempts to increase available broadband by laying 4000 kilometers of fiber optic cable along the country’s major highways, by making overtures to the East African Submarine Cable System (EASSy) and by connecting Addis Ababa to existing fiber optic networks in Port Sudan and Djibouti. These ventures have had mixed success. The domestic network is not yet operational, though the government has promised to lay 10,000 more kilometers of cable by 2010.30 Once the cable has been laid, Ethiopia will consider opening the network to a second, private operator.31 EASSy has been delayed multiple times by disagreements among the member countries32 (though at the time of writing it was scheduled to be completed by June 201033), and the line to Djibouti was sabotaged and looted, allegedly by ONLF and OLF rebels, shortly after its completion in 2006.34

Currently satellite Internet is available to some large corporations, but individuals are not permitted to have private satellite connections. The ETC also bans the use of VoIP in Internet cafés and by the general population,35 though its web site lists VoIP as part of the company’s future broadband strategy.36"

http://opennet.net/research/profiles/ethiopia

:eek:hno:

·
Banned
16,927 Posts
The government really really needs to let private operators enter the market. This is just freaking absurd!!! If it's for the censorship, they can still control the information even if there are private operators. AaaaaaaHHHH!

·
Registered
817 Posts
^^I don't think the censorship is the main problem. It's all about money, both ETC and EEPCO are a huge source of income for the government. If private operators would enter the market it would be the end of ETC.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Ethiopia and Fiber Optics

"Recently, the Ethiopian Telecommunication Corporation (ETC) announced the deployment of an 80 gigabyte fiber optics network that would connect our telecommunication infrastructure to the rest of the world via the Port of Sudan fiber landing station. The justification to put such efforts in motion was to compliment and eventually replace the aging microwave network that allowed ETC to connect inter and intra country.
Of course, the Addis, Dire Dawa, Djibouti fiber route was a colossal mess, and as recently as last fall, there was no clear strategy on how to bring this service back online. Looters were credited for single-handedly destroying the fiber leg between Dire Dawa and Djibouti. Since the fiber network requires that it connect to the various undersea cables that run through the Red Sea; options to connect were at the Port of Djibouti and the Port of Sudan. In mid 2007 Ethiopia was finally (though only technically as it turns out) connected via fiber optics to the rest of the World through the Port of Sudan!

So where is the marked difference in quality? Our Internet connectivity is not faster. Our calls are not clearer. Our network is no less congested. Currently, there is only one live connection linking Addis Ababa with the Port of Sudan;
and the cable system connecting to the Verizon Network in the Middle East. However, this route is plagued with network incompatibilities, allowing most to deduce that the project did little to provide the much needed relief to the congested network.

Recently, the undersea cable known as Sea Me We 3, which links Europe-Middle East-Asia, experienced a severe cable cut near the Port of Alexandria in Egypt, and a second cut off the coast of Dubai which literally brought the Internet world in Ethiopia to a screeching halt. Currently Sea Me We 4 is under construction and will provide extra redundancy on the network. However one must wonder why, in this day and age, one cable cut would have such an adverse affect on service levels?

Like good wine, an aged (proven) and mature network is best, is perhaps the thinking that is embraced within ETC. As the rest of the world is communicating using multiple mediums, Ethiopia is still trying to perfect a few basic services. Without a reliable network backbone, and an ability to tap into global fiber networks, Ethiopia will still be light years behind in upgrading its facilities to even catch up with what is happening other East African countries.

Recently, it was announced that the Eastern Africa Submarine Cable System (EASSy) is close to making itself available to Ethiopia via the Port of Djibouti. Funded by the World Bank and the Development Bank of Southern Africa, EASSy will interconnect six sea outlet countries and five landlocked countries, with South Africa. SEACOM cable system, funded by private investment companies with landing points from South Africa through Mombassa, Kenya, should give Ethiopia yet another alternative to connect to Southern Africa, Asia and beyond. This cable system is expected to go live in 2009/10. ETC must embrace these new alternatives immediately to create much needed redundancy and load sharing.

And then there is the inter city and intra city connectivity issue. While having the last mile as fiber would be music to anyone’s ears, the reality of achieving such a huge undertaking is next to impossible. WiMax would be the favored network architecture that can achieve similar objectives (see story on page 19).

While work is continuing to interconnect seven major cities to Addis Ababa via fiber, the length of time to complete the projects seems mind-boggling. ETC needs to learn a thing or two from the Ethiopian Roads Authority, who have done a tremendous job expanding the road capacity within the capital city and beyond. The need to embrace new technology and expand communication pipelines, to connect to the rest of the world is critical to building the Ethiopian economy, for without reliable instant communication capabilities, Ethiopia will continue to lag behind and cannot be a serious contender in the global economy."

http://www.horizonethiopia.com/inde...ber_Optics_Network_Potential_in_Ethiopia.html

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ይህ http://gce-etc.tripod.com/index.html ድረ-ገፅ ከ2005 እኤአ ጀምሮ የ መ/ቤቱን ዝርክርክነት በተቻለው ሲያጋልጥ የነበረ ገፅ ነው። ከገፁ የተጠቀሰውን የ ኢ-መልእክት አድራሻ ተጠቅሜ አዘጋጆቹ እዚህ እንዲመጡ ጋብዣለሁ፣ ተሳካም አልተሳካ መሞከሩ አይከፋም በማለት። አንድ ላይ ሆነን፣ የዜና ማሰራጫዎቹ ጣቢያዎች፣ የኢትዮጵያን ቲቪ ማእከል ጨምሮ፣ ተቃዋሚዎችን አክሎ፣ የኢህአደግ የህዝብ መገናኛን ከፍል ያካለለ፣ የመነጋገሪያና የመወቃቀሻ ችሎት እንዲከፈት፣ እንዲሁም ማስተካከያው ምን መሆን እንዳለበት ክርክር እንዲደርግ የሚያስችል፣ ከህዝብ ፊት የሚቀርብ የመድረክ ዝግጅት እንዲያደርጉ መገፋፋት እንችላለን። እንዲያው ቁጭቱ ቢያቅበጠብጠኝ ባገኘሁት ቀዳዳ የምችለውን ላድርግ ብዬ ነው።

·
Registered
642 Posts
ይህ http://gce-etc.tripod.com/index.html ድረ-ገፅ ከ2005 እኤአ ጀምሮ የ መ/ቤቱን ዝርክርክነት በተቻለው ሲያጋልጥ የነበረ ገፅ ነው። ከገፁ የተጠቀሰውን የ ኢ-መልእክት አድራሻ ተጠቅሜ አዘጋጆቹ እዚህ እንዲመጡ ጋብዣለሁ፣ ተሳካም አልተሳካ መሞከሩ አይከፋም በማለት። አንድ ላይ ሆነን፣ የዜና ማሰራጫዎቹ ጣቢያዎች፣ የኢትዮጵያን ቲቪ ማእከል ጨምሮ፣ ተቃዋሚዎችን አክሎ፣ የኢህአደግ የህዝብ መገናኛን ከፍል ያካለለ፣ የመነጋገሪያና የመወቃቀሻ ችሎት እንዲከፈት፣ እንዲሁም ማስተካከያው ምን መሆን እንዳለበት ክርክር እንዲደርግ የሚያስችል፣ ከህዝብ ፊት የሚቀርብ የመድረክ ዝግጅት እንዲያደርጉ መገፋፋት እንችላለን። እንዲያው ቁጭቱ ቢያቅበጠብጠኝ ባገኘሁት ቀዳዳ የምችለውን ላድርግ ብዬ ነው።
good job.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts