1 - 20 of 696 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cheers2::cheers2::cheers2:

Bulgaria asks for Internet addresses registered in Cyrillic letters

2008-06-23 15:58:06 -

SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) - Officials say Bulgaria has become the first country to request Internet addresses registered in Cyrillic script.
The government agency for information and communications said Monday it has made an official application to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN.
EU newcomer Bulgaria wants its to be .bg, written in Cyrillic letters. Internet sites in this Balkan country currently use addresses in the Latin script.

Bulgaria persuaded the European Union last year to accept its request to spell the euro currency as «evro» according to the Cyrillic phonetic rules, after threatening to veto EU business.

P.S. ...though I have to admit that Russia was the first to ask for a ".ru" domain in cyrillic.

·
καταχωρη&#
1,704 Posts
Well the whole world uses Latin alphabet for domain names and addresses, but while its technically easy to use anything you wish, if ICANN accepts it of course, the problem will obviously be that people that don't use Cyrillic alphabet will have a hard time on accessing Bulgaria web pages.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I dont really understand how important is the chirillc alphabet to you guys. I see that most of you know the latin one also. In which one do you learn in school? In which of the 2 are the newspapers, commercial texts, official documents etc?

Chirillic alphabet only complicates things as far as i see, but if you want and internet domain in chirillic i have no problem with it. But someone please answer the questions above. I'm really curios.

Thanks

·
dRusenec :)
10,679 Posts
Well it's pretty much like the latin one in Romania or the Greek one in Greece - all our newspapers, books, etc are in cyrillics. Unlike Serbia we don't have a dual system - we use only the cyrillic alphabet (just like in Russia for example).

Cyrillic alphabet complicates things in the IT sphere a lot, yes. As for the cyrillic TLDs I'm strongly against and I have a number of reasons but it's a loooong story anyway. Let's say I am into that since a number of years. I can only say that this is more about some idiot business interests than about promoting the cyrillic TLDs. There is that guy, Markovski (born in Skopje, son of a famous Macedonian writer) that owns a large ISP...and there is that company, Digsys that operates the .bg TLD, they are in a conflict since at least 10 years. Markovski is a government IT advisor with strong political influence while Digsys have strong influence in the ICANN. It's a bloody stupid Balkanic business game.

I don't like that Markovski shithead though - he is a complete idiot. Too bad a business thing is marked as a very patriotic act, this just sucks.

Anyway, like I said that's a looooooooong story and I'm too lazy given those absurd temperatures (more than 35 degrees, Christ!) to explain that.

·
19,494 Posts
I dont really understand how important is the chirillc alphabet to you guys. I see that most of you know the latin one also. In which one do you learn in school? In which of the 2 are the newspapers, commercial texts, official documents etc?

Chirillic alphabet only complicates things as far as i see, but if you want and internet domain in chirillic i have no problem with it. But someone please answer the questions above. I'm really curios.

Thanks
The Cyrillic alphabet is the official alphabet in Bulgaria, so everything is in Cyrillic, and we love our alphabet.

·
инто спе
6,821 Posts
Of course we should stick to the Cyrillic (just like the Greek guys stick to the Greek alphabet). Our alphabet was developed in medieval Bulgarian state - so it's inseparable part of our culture and even lifestyle. And it's practically the second most used in the world. It can be easily translated phonetic to Latin letters anyway.
But as for the domain thing I don't thing is that good idea.

·
Banned
410 Posts
We keep using the Cyrillic and there are absolutely no reasons to change it with the Latin alphabet because it perfectly covers the specifics of our language.For example we have sounds for which are necessarry 3-4 Latin letters while we use only one.For instance the Germans use 4 letters for the sound "tsch" whereas we have only "ч".For "sch" they need 3 whereas we need just "ш" :)
As for the domain in Cyrillic, obviously it will be used only by a certain group of countries, representing less than 5% of the world`s population but after it`s possible, why not then?

·
Bulgarian
1,102 Posts
Of course we should stick to the Cyrillic (just like the Greek guys stick to the Greek alphabet).
totally agree with u ! this is our culture and this is out heritage !

And it's practically the second most used in the world.
No, actually it isn't, it's the 5th with around 250 mil. "users" in the following countries : Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Belorus, x-ygoslavia (with the exception of Slovenia and Croatia) Bulgaria, Tajikistan, Kirgyzstan, Macedonia.
There are also countries which, de jure, don't use the cyrilic alphabet but in which, de facto it's being used by almost 1/2 of the population : Ouzbekistan, Tyrkmenistan and Estonia.

cheers

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fallen, at the time when Serbia was starting to switch to Latin alphabet around the middle of last century, I think (they are still in a process of eliminating Cyrillic), there were attempts in Bulgaria to follow that practice but many intellectuals arose against the idea. After all it failed miserably which means that it'll never happen again.

It's about the only thing Russia got because of Bulgaria. We celebrate the memory of it's creators St. Cyril and Methodius almost as solemnly as the national holiday.

As for the domains, I think it's the perfect choice for strictly Bulgarian communities, and because of some trade mark issues some companies can't use a domain name that represents the company name in Latin transliteration because it conflicts other international company's name for example.

·
-----------
18,513 Posts
Едно интересно мнение относно домейните на кирилица :

Днес глобализацията приключи такава, каквато я познаваме

Глобализацията се балканизира (благодаря на Симо за определението). И последният пирон в ковчега и е на наш Гоце и на другаря Путин (разбира се, няма нищо случайно). Светът от днес не е вече същият.

След епохалните решения на ICANN, при неограничен брой домейни от първо ниво (TLD, като .com, .net, .bg и така нататък), ситуацията с ориентацията в нета става невъзможна. Това е началото на края на ситуацията, в която всеки двама души които имат email на планетата могат да си кореспондират. Това е краят и на свободата на словото, каквато я познаваме днес. От днес отново сме пленници на лобитата и "националните" елити.

как ще пътуват мейли от вида [email protected] до мојотмејл@јанко.анѓелов, а също и до хоремага@село.злокучене, без да има никаква гаранция че тези имена, клавиатурни подредби и езици се поддържат във всяко място по света ?

Оказа се, че лобитата в ICANN победиха и разделиха бащината дружина. Това е историческо събитие, сравнимо със схизмата в християнската църква през 1054 г.

"Дори след 1054 година приятелските взаимоотношения между Запада и Изтока продължават. Двете части на християнството все още не разбират огромната бездна между тях... Спорът е бил нещо, за което обикновените християни на изток и на запад въобще не подозирали", епископ Калистос

Сегашните интернет потребители също не са наясно.

"Загрижен съм за прахосването на нашето TLD наследство за бъдещите TLD потребители", казва Дейв Уоделет (Dave Wodelet), член на борда на ICANN.

"Със сигурност не бих искал бъдещите поколения да погледнат назад към нас с презрение, защото не сме били достатъчно добри пазители на тяхното TLD наследство"
И аз съм загрижен, Дейв. Дори повече от тебе.

Ето ги двете клипчета на нашата дискусия с Григор в retv.bg

1 2

·
Registered
5,345 Posts

Thanks
Hey Fallen, To answer your question specifically:

School, newspapers, books, street signs, official documents, movie subtitles are in cyrillic.

Car licence plates use only letters that exist in BOTH latin and cyrillic: A, B, C, E, K, M, O, P, X, H,

phone messages are usually sent using latin latters, often foreign brand names are only in latin or use both; i.e. McDonalds is usually witten both in latin and in Cyrillic, online chats are sometimes in latin; i prefer latin myself, but my case is weird, because of my schooling.

Since Cyrillic was more or less created in Bulgaria, commissioned by Tsat Boris I, and in Bulgarian Academies (Ohrid and Preslav), we feel a strong connection to it and see it as one of our major contributions to world (and especially Slavic) civilization. If we had just borred it we could easily change it, but since we created it -- that's why we want to keep it alive.

24 May (Sts. Cyrill and Methodius Day) was very close to becoming the national Day in 1991.

·
Banned
3,054 Posts
that´s the biggest shit I´ve read in quite a while. How can such a little country request such idiotic things. Yes, isolate even more. We Bulgarians will make a world only for us and isolate us from the rest of the world. Not that too many Bulgarians don´t know other languaces, now they want the internet to be only in cyrillic letters. Bulgaria is a european country and everyone must be able to read in Latin, I have talked with many Bulgarians and they find the cyrillic alphabet the biggest pile of shit, I agree on that, the Latin alphabet, looks better, is easier to read and most importantly is universal. I hope this dumb request will be denied because what counts for everyone MUST also count for Bulgaria. One has to get programs like flextype which aren´t free except you get them illegally and without such a program you even wont be able to enter Bulgarian sites at all. and I think any person in the world should be able to enter Bulgarian sites since we are in europe and not in an Asian country where they have more difficulties to learn the latin alphabet because it has nothing to do with their letters.

I jsut see such invalit bollocks arguments that the Bulgarian languace has sounds which would require the use of more letters but in cyrillic only one. Well, there are countless languaces which require more letters for one certain sound, in Germany there is also the SCH, in English the SH and so on. And I do see that the children have no problems to adapt to it at all, when they chat in skype, which most children do in bulgaria they write with Latin letters and they all have no problem with that, yes even the villagechildren don´t have a problem and it would make it complicated for Bulgarians aswell to type addresses in cyrillic.

Pilottos, the cyrillic letters are only important to oldfashioned Bulgarians, inteligent Bulgarians don´t care or even are against the cyrillic letters because they not only aren´t international, but they are harder to read for shortsited people like me. I would find it best if Bulgaria stops teaching in cyrillic and by time replaces it with Latin, it would look way better and clearer for people with bad eyeside. bulgaria has other things to be proud of. And don´t compare with greece, the alpahtbet was used in old books which made history and so on. And you have also to consider that Greeks are very patriotic, I know this for sure.

·
Ой Ламьо
1,906 Posts
the cyrillic letters are only important to oldfashioned Bulgarians, inteligent Bulgarians don´t care or even are against the cyrillic letters because they not only aren´t international, but they are harder to read for shortsited people like me. I would find it best if Bulgaria stops teaching in cyrillic and by time replaces it with Latin, it would look way better and clearer for people with bad eyeside. bulgaria has other things to be proud of. And don´t compare with greece, the alpahtbet was used in old books which made history and so on. And you have also to consider that Greeks are very patriotic, I know this for sure.
ok bratle :lol::lol::lol: :nuts::nuts:

·
Ой Ламьо
1,906 Posts
that´s the biggest shit I´ve read in quite a while. How can sucha little country request such idiotic things. Yes, isolate even more. We Bulgarians will make a world only for us and isolate us from the rest of the world. Not that too many Bulgarians don´t know other languaces, now they want the internet to be only in cyrillic letters. Bulgaria is a european country and everyone must be able to read in Latin, I have talked with many Bulgarians and they find the cyrillic alphabet the biggest pile of shit, I agree on that, the Latin alphabet, looks better, is easier to read and most importantly is universal. I hope this dumb request will be denied because what counts for everyone MUST also count for bulgaria. One has to get programs like flextype which aren´t free except you get them illegally and without such a program you wont be able to enter Bulgarian sites at all. and I think any person in the world should be able to enter Bulgarian sites since we are in europe and not in an Asian country where they have more difficulties to learn the latin alphabet because it has ntohing to do with their letters.

I jsut see such invalit bollocks arguments that the Bulgarian languace has sounds which would require the use of more letters but in cyrillic only one. Well, there are countless languaces which require more letters for one certain tone, in Germany theere is also the SCH, in English the SH and so on. And I do see that the children have no problems to adapt to it at all, when they chat in skype, which most children do in bulgaria they write with Latin letters and they all have no problem with that, yes even the villagechildren don´t have a problem and it would make it complicated for Bulgarians aswell to type addresses in cyrillic.

Pilottos, the cyrillic letters are only important to oldfashioned Bulgarians, inteligent Bulgarians don´t care or even are against the cyrillic letters because they not only aren´t international, but they are harder to read for shortsited people like me. I would find it best if Bulgaria stops teaching in cyrillic and by time replaces it with Latin, it would look way better and clearer for people with bad eyeside. bulgaria has other things to be proud of. And don´t compare with greece, the alpahtbet was used in old books which made history and so on. And you have also to consider that Greeks are very patriotic, I know this for sure.
bratle, kato inteligenten 4ovek, s latinsko pisane, mislia 4e te razbiram kakvo ikash da kajesh; no 4ovek taka kakto pishesh na angliski zvu4i malumno i sam sigoren 4e ako beshe v shtatite ve4e shtiaha da te sadiat po "patriot act"

·
Banned
3,054 Posts
Jumper, ne znam v kakvo tochno mislish che ne sym prav v tozi post I po princip ne me interesuva, no iskym da kaja che v 21 vek na trqbva da gledame tolko kym istoriata a da se orientirame kym sveta, kirilicata cyzdava problemi v tova otnoshenie, tia po trudno se chete ot hora s kysogledstvo ili slabo zrenie, tia pravi problemi s computri i internet (iziskva dopylnitelni programi, nekoi programi ne raschitat kirilica), Bylgarite trqbva da znaiat dva asbuki, i taka na tatak.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ako beshe v shtatite ve4e shtiaha da te sadiat po "patriot act"
ако продължава така може да стартираме подписка за анти-ради акт в България
а ето и още една причина да има домейни на кирилица. че знаеш в тях няма да влезе тоя помиар!

1 - 20 of 696 Posts