SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 3911 Posts

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1990 I remember people were selling rights to their phone lines because it took years to get one and the Philippines was one of those places in the world where we were so behind in terms of basic UN human Index numbers with regards to telephony per 100 people (less than 1!) In basically a decade, we've become leaders in this field (specifically sms) worldwide notonly setting new metrics for use but winning awards for creative ways of using ths and Since the Pinoys are so much into their phones I just figured this thread would be an interesting look at our telcos and other mobility issues like wifi (in malls coffeeshop etc) since it's a very essential infrastructure now. Perhaps even an active look at which buildings are smart enough to qualify. Besides this cell sites are now so ubitquitous I wonder (since they also add to the height of the city skyline and profile) if there are any interesting ones architecturally.

Here's some opening articles which are intersting. This first one shows how dynamic this industry is now the consumer is truly king!

Eclipsing the Sun, circling the Globe
Posted: 1:05 AM | Mar. 11, 2005

Victor Agustin
Inquirer News Service

printable version

email a story

write the editor

feedback

A TWIN "25/8" plan offering unlimited call and text messaging will be launched this Friday by Smart Communication in trademark tri-media blitz to counter similar plans earlier launched by Globe Telecom and Digitel Mobile's Sun Cellular.

The "25/8" is apparently a mischievous reference to Sun's "24/7," which late last year launched the first subscription plan offering unlimited within-network calls and text messaging.

Smart marketing brains Anastacio Martirez is confident that "25/8" is superior to the competition since Smart has allocated a dedicated, separate network to handle the expected surge of both voice calls and text messages and, at the same time, protect the network quality for the post-paid subscriber base.

For P115, any Smart-branded pre-paid subscriber can make unlimited phone calls to any Smart phone for 10 days, even to those overseas. A cheaper P60 plan would offer unlimited "texting," but no free calls, for six days.

The twin plan is also available to post-paid subscribers as an extra service.

In contrast, Sun offers a P100 unlimited phone and text plan that is good for seven days, while Globe offers a P300/30-day plan, also for unlimited phone and text service.

Smart, in separating the phone and text plans, thinks it is counter-intuitive for subscribers to still type and send short text messages when they can make unlimited phone calls any time.

The small print is that "25/8" subscribers will be told upon sign-up that the phone calls will be limited to five minutes each, apparently to ensure that the network will not collapse with the expected surge in "telebabad" [extended] calls, as apparently had happened to Sun, especially during peak hours.

Smart's various brands have a combined subscriber base of 20 million, as against Sun's 1.3 million, and to ensure consistent service, "25/8" subscribers have to text first the number they would want to call, with the computerized network calling back after routing the call request through the pre-paid network to establish the connection. + Martirez said Smart was simply responding to market's demand for "bucket pricing," where subscribers who want better, instant connection, may pay for premium service like business-class passengers.

"Those who are willing to queue and pay less may opt for the economy class," he said.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man we're in the wrong business!

BROKER CALL
PLDT net profit seen at P29B in 2005--ATR
Posted: 4:31 PM | Mar. 11, 2005

Erik de la Cruz
XFN-Asia

printable version

email a story

write the editor

feedback

ATR-KIM ENG Securities Inc. said it expects Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. (PLDT) to book another record net profit of 29 billion pesos this year, supported by an improvement in its fixed-line operations.

It said PLDT's interest payments and foreign exchange losses should also be lower this year as it continues to cut its debt.

PLDT posted a record net profit of 28 billion pesos for 2004, including one-off gains. It soared from a restated 2003 net profit of 2.12 billion pesos, on continued robust earnings in its mobile phone segment.

PLDT expects net profit this year to reach 27 billion pesos.

In a research note, ATR-Kim Eng said that with PLDT's huge capital spending on network expansion this year, the carrier should be able to accommodate increased phone usage resulting from new pricing schemes.

PLDT earlier said it would devote 18-20 billion pesos to capital expenditure this year, half of which would be for the cellular business and the other half for fixed-line operations. Previous capex budgets were channeled mainly to the wireless segment.

Smart Communications Inc., a wholly owned unit of PLDT, and Smart unit Pilipino Telephone Co. (Piltel) are launching on Friday promotional charges for calls and SMS or text messages within their networks.

Competitor Globe Telecom Inc. launched a promotional pricing scheme ahead of Smart and Piltel. But it was Digital Telecommunications Philippines Inc.'s Sun Cellular service which ignited a price war when it began offering attractive rates as early as October last year.

PLDT has also been offering a similar pricing scheme to its fixed-line customers.

"From a top-line perspective, revenue stream would stabilize, as ARPUs (average revenue per unit) now become more predictable with subscriber growth becoming key for (PLDT earnings) growth," ATR-Kim Eng analyst Martin Enrile said.

"The challenge now is to see whether the current network and near-term capex schedule can be maintained in view of higher anticipated usage."

He sees Smart's net profit this year breaching 27 billion pesos.

(one dollar = 54.2 pesos)

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even Cebu is setting up smart buildings with telephony.

First wi-fi hot zone set up in Cebu

Posted 09:43pm (Mla time) Feb 25, 2005
By Neil Iosif Ilagan
Cebu Daily News

CEBU-based company ASA Enterprises has just set up the city’s first wireless Internet zone.

ASA launched the Dominion Wireless Broadband Access at Mango Square Mall Friday last week -- Cebu’s first wireless-fidelity (wi-fi) zone, more popularly known as “hot zones.”

This means that owners of wi-fi-compatible gadgets like laptops, personal desk assistants, mobile phones, and even personal computers can now access the World Wide Web without a telephone or cable connection.

These hot zones cover a large area, unlike wi-fi spots powered by other telecommunications companies limited to certain establishments like malls.

There is a demand for faster and cheaper wireless Internet access in Cebu, said Jed Fidellaga, Dominion special operations manager.

He said that their goal is to make the entire Metro Cebu a hot spot, with the city as the starting point.

Now Dominion services, which can be used for free until March 31, covers a big part of uptown Cebu.

"We
Print this story
Send this story
Write the editor
View other stories

want the Cebuanos to enjoy 24 hours of cheaper, but definitely faster than DSL, seamless Internet access," Fidellaga said.

ASA is negotiating with telecommunication firms to use ASA wi-fi facilities.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way the tallest structure we have in the Philippines to my knowledge was supposed to be Channel 2's telcom tower, we should include any communication tower here too, maybe someday we'll have our own eifel tower (kamusta ka va!)

·
Here Since 2002
7,257 Posts
well.. we probably wouldn't know much about these telecom towers due to the tight security reasons.. commies love to burn these towers don't they? But since you said tallest structure then it must be more than 259m;)

kasi daw yung mga soldiers nating text messaging or something mobile related ang communications nila.. well that's what I'm told:D

·
Khal vezhven!
2,285 Posts
thanks for putting up this thread. i've been wanting to see one here on SSC Pinas.

our sms-based applications are wayyyy more advanced than what they have here in the US. but then, we should also consider the fact that what drove our local telcos to innovate such high standard applications is to augment the low internet penetration in the philippines. it's cheaper for us to use sms than go to an internet cafe. plus, internet isn't just available in far-flung areas in the country, whereas the mobile network has already covered pretty much the whole philippines.

also, what i would want to see is for our fixed-line sector to flourish. i read somewhere that we still have one of the highest rates compared to our asian neighbors.

by the way, i am using a Globe sim here in california so my family, gf, and friends can send me sms using the local rate (Php 1/sms) so it's cheaper:D

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just in case you were curious, this is my understanding to be the tallest structure in the Philippines, I don't even know where it is.

NET 25 is the UHF television station of Eagle Broadcasting Corporation (EBC), a pioneering broadcast institution in the Philippines. NET 25 reinforces EBC's national network of five AM stations and an FM station located in major urban centers of the country. The network is poised to offer Filipino viewers a new era in television programming.
Vision and Mission

The station started its broadcast operations last July 27, 1999 and was officially launched in a multi-media exhibit dubbed Destination: PLANET 25 last April 23, 2000. The network's vision is to become the premiere values-oriented broadcast communications network. Its mission is to inform, entertain and educate the public by providing high-quality values-centered programs that enrich life.

The station is dedicated to the growth and revolution of the new media era. It is created as a community and a resource - a center of values where its best practices can be explored and where vision and innovation are shared to build new opportunities that enrich life.

Capable of 120 kilowatts of transmitter power (for a total of 7,896 kilowatts ERP), NET 25 boasts of the Philippines' first trilon TV tower that soars to an impressive 907 feet above sea level. This makes it one of the tallest and most imposing structures in Metro Manila. A state-of-the-art JAMPRO 48-panel antenna and two 60 kw ACRODYNE transmitters complete the tower package. NET 25 also boasts of an all-digital production facility complete with studios and editing suites for in-house and post-productions.

·
Khal vezhven!
2,285 Posts
saw this feature in TV Patrol World last night (or was it the night before?) that a group of Ateneo (tama ba?) students invented this gadget that will translate text messages to the braille system so blind people don't need to ask someone to read their messages for them any more. the report said the gadget was for their thesis project. isn't that great :eek:kay: it looked a little bulky though. it's supposed to be portable but it looked quite big for one to keep in his pocket. but still, it's very useful to blind mobile phone users :)

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,972 Posts
That's actually a very good idea. I don't see why size would be much of a problem since from my understanding, braille would require hardware and mecanical parts so I wouldn't expect these gadgets to be too small.

·
Banned
2,043 Posts
explain nyo naman sa akin kung ano ibig ipahiwatig ng commercial ng Touch Mobile. Di ko na gets kasi puro construction boys may hawak ng cellphone kasama si cesar montano tapos sumisigaw ng power of the people. Ano ba naman yon. Kung ako wala pa cel di ako mag susubscribe sa kanila the commercial is not convincing.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess it's obvious that Pareng Stephen is a Lasallite:)

I heard about that news too. I wonder if it's already out in some form in the market or if it's still just an idea. The other mobile providers were saying that if you were blind just talk on the phone. But of course here in the Pinas we prefer sms even if you had unlimited phone time due to the style of communication. (Madaming pacute and nonsense the bati pero ok lang sa atin).

On another note I heard that the whole Greenbelt or Ayala Center was a mobile hotzone? Can anyone confirm this? In fact it may be usefull if somebody posted where the hotzones in Manila are right now. I only know about the coffee places but it must spread out already.

·
resident web developer
1,185 Posts
hehe.. i am a lasallite but i dont have any prejudices to ateneans.. we're all filipinos.. :D

i know that they were featured in a news program last week.. i think that there were several companies that were trying to find a way to mass market the product.. i wish them well..

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just read in another thread that they're building a new telecom tower in Cubao. Anyone care to post pictures or info on this. Is this for TV, cell Phone, etc.

·
Federer Express!!!
716 Posts
tyronne said:
by the way, i am using a Globe sim here in california so my family, gf, and friends can send me sms using the local rate (Php 1/sms) so it's cheaper:D
bakit un text ko sa kaibigan ko na anjan din sa California ang laki din ng charges? whereas sabi nya dapat PhP1.00 lan bayad ko? e nun dumating billings ko, nasa 100 pesos plus. thrice lan ata ako nag-text sa kanya. :?:

btw, galing naman ng mga students na un. :cheers:

@ncbmandy, once ko pa lan napanood un commercial na sinasabi mo. may kausap pa ako nun kaya hindi ko inintindi kung anuman un. :sleepy:

·
Bad! Bad Ikaw!
93 Posts
ncbmandy said:
explain nyo naman sa akin kung ano ibig ipahiwatig ng commercial ng Touch Mobile. Di ko na gets kasi puro construction boys may hawak ng cellphone kasama si cesar montano tapos sumisigaw ng power of the people. Ano ba naman yon. Kung ako wala pa cel di ako mag susubscribe sa kanila the commercial is not convincing.

the commercial wants to emphasize that even those low-income people can now subscribe to their product.. a P1.00/minute call .. and sa maniwala kayo't sa hindi, halos lahat ng mga construction workers now a days e may hawak-hawak nang cellphone.. :)

·
Banned
1,747 Posts
pag naka international roaming tinitext mo, dapat Php 1.0/text lang. im texting a Smart Prepaid sa AUS at SG, ok naman. ewan, or di ko lang kaya na check balance ko?

by the way, DLSU students are real good in tech...pati robotics. they were once featured sa activity center ng Glorrieta. lahat mga lasalista. mrami ata Chinese. saludo ako sa kanila. world class capabilities.

1 - 20 of 3911 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.