Status
Not open for further replies.
3881 - 3900 of 3911 Posts

·
15,383 Posts
EDITORIAL
Cheaper, faster internet
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:08 AM November 12, 2018

That, at least, is the promise of the third telco player being selected by the government to break the duopoly of PLDT Inc. and Globe Telecom.

Suspicions were bound to arise when the group of Davao-based businessman Dennis Uy and the Chinese government-owned China Telecom emerged as the lone qualified bidder for the third telco
slot.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
sakin wala akong problema sa security issues sa net ko. maski halungkatin pa nila ang hard drive ko at nakawain pa lahat ng bold na na download ko. Basta lang mabilis at MURA and net

·
フィリピン
782 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
^^

It may not be an issue for you, but it is a big issue to national security to let China Telecom hijack internet traffic like this. What more if China Telecom has access to Philippine's infrastructure?

In case you don't know - Globe and PLDT runs on Chinese equipment - specifically Huawei and ZTE.

If they wanted to hack us, they would have already hacked us for decades already.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dagdag pa dito yung NGCP 40 percent pla nun pag aari ng chinese. Yung connection mula sa planta ng kuryente papunta ng distributor gaya ng meralco

·
Registered
20,858 Posts
Boo's take and opinion on the selection of the 3rd Telco

I was expecting a lutong Macao article, but...

(Mods permission to post the article in full)

---

Aren’t they all cronies?
DEMAND AND SUPPLY
- Boo Chanco (The Philippine Star) -
November 14, 2018 - 12:00am

It is a sign of our times that the result of the third telco bidding is considered by some, lutong makaw. How can this be when the impression is given that most of the bidders are cronies of the President? Or think they are?

In that sense, it was a contest among equals. Of course, as in all things, some are more equal than others. And here is where the conduct of the bidding becomes important.

I thought this was one of the most transparent public biddings in recent memory. There was a lot of public consultation. The rules were out there for several months for participants to study and comment on.

The participants had almost a year to make their voices heard on the fairness of the rules, the heavy financial requirements, or anything else that may make the bidding questionable. Nothing much was heard until towards the homestretch.

First of all, the bidding was designed for the big boys, the ones with a lot of money to invest to compete with the duopoly. That’s why the financial commitments sought seem to be “extortionate” as one of the bidders put it, a couple of weeks before the deadline.

An industry analyst I trust for competence and honesty told me that she “witnessed a fairly transparent and consultative process from the start--from the drafting of the terms of reference down to the opening of the bids.

“If anything, the NTC included requirements that may seem tailor-fit for particular prospective bidder(s), like the telecom experience on a national scale for the last 10 years. That already disqualifies the potential local telco bidders because only PLDT and Globe have that experience.

“However, it does not preclude a local telco partnering with a foreign telco who has that amount of experience in its country of operation. It simply required a certification from the regulatory agency (equivalent of NTC) in the country where that experience is relevant.

“All it took was for a potential local bidder to partner with such a foreign telco. There was no rule barring anyone from doing so. Unless NTC knew from the start that the other bidders (such as PT&T) did not have a foreign partner, then it’s difficult to say that, indeed, there was an effort to pick China Telecom.”

I found curious the last minute withdrawal of the Pampanga Dennis Uy’s Converge and Korea Telecom. I read their explanation and I can’t believe they only belatedly saw how difficult the business model sought by the bidding rules is.

Given how conspiracy theories abound in this country, it is easy to cast doubts on the result of the bidding process. There is loose talk that a bidder colluded with the other bidders to submit incomplete requirements to throw a monkey wrench into the process.

The winner, the Davao Dennis Uy and China Telecom comes as no surprise to many. The Davao Dennis Uy has been visibly expanding his business empire as if President Duterte’s term will end tomorrow.

It does not help that President Duterte was reported to have offered the third telco slot to China Telecom in one of his China visits.

I don’t personally know the Davao Dennis Uy, but it seems only his group complied with all the published rules. Adherence to these rules is a pre-requisite to the opening of the second envelope containing the technical commitment.

I am curious about the bid of Chavit Singson which proposed the use of satellites and promised 100 percent coverage within a short time. But Chavit’s group failed to submit the P700 million LC to cover the required participation security.

Chavit told us at the Tuesday Club that he had the amount required in the form of BDO and Metrobank cashier’s checks and two LCs from the Industrial Bank of Korea. It was NTC’s failure to respond to their bank’s request for “proper language” for forfeiture that caused them to fail to provide the performance guarantee in the proper form.

Chavit also complained about the local telecoms partner of Dennis Uy. He said NTC should have disqualified the bid because Mislatel has a contract with them among other reasons.

The other bidder—PT&T (Zamora Group) failed to prove that it was operating on a national scale for the past 10 years. PT&T had been in operation for decades, but it didn’t meet NTC’s requirement.

They sought what amounted to a midnight definition from a court when this should have been clarified months before with the NTC and DICT.

The rules PT&T and Chavit’s group failed to comply with are not mere technicalities. Those were clearly in the Terms of Reference (TOR) that contrary to claims, were not changed at the last minute.

Because of the growing anti-Chinese sentiment in the country, many are wary about China Telecom. But paranoia aside, China Telecom has the advanced technology and the deep pockets to make a difference as a third telco fast.

As for the fear of China being able to monitor our messages, both Globe and Smart are already using advanced telecom hardware from Huawei, a Chinese company.

The remaining way left is for us to pressure Congress to pass the Open Access in Data Transmission bill. That will allow ownership and operation of infrastructure for and delivery of Internet services by entities that don’t have to be telcos and thus, provide more competition in broadband delivery.

A redistribution of spectrum now over 70 percent controlled by the duopoly will also allow for more than just the third telco. While the NTC has the power to audit and reassign spectrum, it is afraid to do so on its own. They want a law that will more clearly empower them.

For now, I think Acting Secretary Eliseo Rio, Jr. did as good a job of a transparent bidding as is possible. But in a battle of cronies, the losing cronies are expected to be noisily disappointed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wala nmn matibay na ebedensya na niluto ang bidding eh puro haka haka lng dahil campaign contributor at dahil china telecom. Eh tlga nmn kasi kulang sila sa requirements eh khit ano pang sabhin nila. Duda ko dyan sinadya nilang kulangan requirements nila para lng gumawa ng ingay dahil takot sila sa bond na sobrang laki ng halaga.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Initially, i gave Singson the benefit of the doubt (or daw, lol). But the promise of 100% coverage in a short span of time, months lang? Parang too good to be true naman. Yung sa Mislatel, they showed a timetable up to 2021 that they can cover all. Kasi nga building the infra takes time.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Di reliable ang SATCOM na pinagmamalaki ni Singson.. Maganda lang pakinggan yung 100 percent coverage pero puro intermittent naman. Based on my experience, sakit sa ulo yan satcom sa troubleshooting. Atleast yung Udenna group mas kapanipaniwala yung committed coverage nila. Halata kasing panggulo lang itong grupo ni Singson

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
using sats for net really really sucks.
BIG BIG time latency issues
Di reliable ang SATCOM na pinagmamalaki ni Singson.. Maganda lang pakinggan yung 100 percent coverage pero puro intermittent naman. Based on my experience, sakit sa ulo yan satcom sa troubleshooting. Atleast yung Udenna group mas kapanipaniwala yung committed coverage nila. Halata kasing panggulo lang itong grupo ni Singson
Salamat at sinabi nyo yan.

The past decade kasi, our company had a client that implemented a system in Manila with several remote locations including Visayas and Mindanao. They did not use VPN (virtual private network). Multinational pa man din. They used "microwave" instead. Making use of "satellite" technology daw. Ayun, problema sa connectivity. Nightmare sa implementation. It was resolved eventually but after some months. I was not sure lang if this "microwave" is similar to satellite that Singson is saying as i am not involved on the technical side.

3881 - 3900 of 3911 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.