Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess this means one of the numerous super talls will be built

There was an article in AFR today here is the brief

> In one of the biggest ever office pre-commitments in Brisbane, Telstra is seeking 50,000 square meters of space in the city's CBD. The move, which construction experts tipped could cost more than $400 million to build, will add pressure to Brisbane. Suncorp Metway is also looking for up to 40,000 square meters of office space while the QLD government wants another 30,000 sq m.
> Telstra wants its new office to be Australian Building greenhouse rated at 4.5 stars or above.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Excellent! FFS someone propose an 80,000 sqm iconic office tower!!! I mean has there EVER been a better time.

If they go mixed use and, isn't that all the rage, then that could have the makings of a new tallest.

The air is thick with notional supertalls!:)

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Yeah, Any other city.. if 100,000SQM of office space was precommited would build like that...

I swear if we get like 3 shorter buildings out of this ill kill someone!

·
New Urbanist
5,570 Posts
If someone knows someone that can bloody build a 300+ tower!! Tell them now!! :gaah: does anyone have access the the AFR site to get the actual article?
its called...
"Telstra orders Brisbane offices shake-up"

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SORRY!!
i the article stated telstra wanted one building - so hopefully not a number of small buildings!

yes i have the article will put it up tomorrow

·
Registered
296 Posts
Maybe Telstra can seek liquidation while its at it? And let a decent company operate for the public?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vishalt said:
Maybe Telstra can seek liquidation while its at it? And let a decent company operate for the public?
yeah good idea - let the government own everything - bit dodgy with the owner also regulating the industry - conflict of interest?
lets try and create a successful USSR
USSR!!! USSR!! USSR!! USSR! USSR!

·
Registered
252 Posts
In response to SoulVision, I'd say the William Buck building (solar powered) could have close to a 4.5 rating.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Have a water tank that holds like 50k litres take up a floor or 2 on the top levels... Solar panels somewhere that dont compromise on the design...

·
Agent of Change
7,218 Posts
You guys are in luck as I have access to all. :D

Telstra orders Brisbane offices shake-up
Mathew Dunckley and Lisa Allen

1 May 2006
Australian Financial Review

In one of the biggest office pre-commitments in Brisbane, Telstra has gone to the market seeking 50,000 square metres of space in the city's central business district.

The move, which construction experts tipped could cost more than $400 million to build, will add pressure to Brisbane. Suncorp Metway is looking for up to 40,000 square metres of office space while the Queensland government wants another 30,000 square metres.

A Telstra spokeswoman said the telco had just begun an expression-of-interest process to centralise its Brisbane operations.

The decision was part of a strategy to rationalise the company's property portfolio following a broader strategic review.

Its staff are spread across eight Brisbane buildings, taking up 68,000 square metres in the CBD.

The Australian Financial Review understands real estate agents were notified of the requirement on Wednesday while top landlords were tapped on the shoulder on Friday.

The spokeswoman said Telstra could gain significant benefits to business operations and reduce operating costs through a change in its property management strategy.

The company had already exited 15 business leases this financial year, providing a saving of about $4.1 million, she said.

"The functions and people [who] were previously located at these sites were relocated to existing Telstra sites, improving the utilisation of our existing property portfolio," she said.

"Current leases on the eight Brisbane CBD premises Telstra staff occupy will expire over the next four years and we expect that Brisbane-based Telstra people will progressively move to the new premises once their office lease expires."

Telstra wanted its new office to be Australian Building Greenhouse rated at 4.5 stars or above, she said.

At this stage, Telstra had merely sought expressions of interest from the market, and did not anticipate any immediate changes to workplaces.

One construction industry source said Telstra could well select a developer with an option over a site as BHP Billiton had done with Grocon at Melbourne's QV development.

The man who orchestrated that shift for BHP, Vito Chiodo, is now Telstra's general manager of real estate and accommodation management services.

"It is BHP all over again," the source said.

Telstra's requirement in Brisbane joins Suncorp Metway's demand for up to 40,000 square metres. Suncorp's property portfolio is managed by Investa, which ironically has Telstra as its biggest tenant.

The Queensland government is also looking for CBD space of up to 30,000 square metres.

Brisbane-based Jones Lang LaSalle national director Mark Curtain said Telstra's lease expiries were staged over the next two to three years.

"I think there is a variety of existing new buildings they can consider depending on their final split-up of their requirements," Mr Curtain said.

"And then there's various new buildings that are mooted around the CBD that could accommodate their requirements."

Knight Frank national research director Matt Whitby said gross effective rents in prime office accommodation in Brisbane had grown by more than 20 per cent last year after 15.5 per cent growth in 2004.

"This rental growth is showing no signs of abating as continued limited market opportunities drive the rents towards the levels that make new construction viable," he said.

"This will encompass a further 15-20 per cent lift in market effective rents expected to be reached within the next 12 to 18 months."

Knight Frank also believes Brisbane is starting to look less cost-effective for larger, location-neutral users compared with other cities.

KEY POINTS

* The company is rationalising its property portfolio following a broader strategic review.

* Its Brisbane staff are spread across eight CBD buildings.

* Telstra has exited 15 business leases this financial year.

·
7,976 Posts
Then again, rather than some new building we don't know about, it could just help get projects like Empire Square of the ground even quicker.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Don't know if ES is quite big enough to fit Telstra, but maybe they could add a few floors;) As it is though, the developers of ES said demand was very strong as it was so they'll be fine even without Telstra. I mean if you can sell the hotel component, a good portion of the apartments which will have killer views, then you are already half way there. With demand for office space as it is in Brisbane I'm sure ES's floors will be in hot demand.

Now if we could just get Telstra and the state gov requirement in one building, then that's 80,000 pre-committed straight off the bat, even a super cautious developer could add 20,000 then for misc other business, and wholah, we are at a 100,000 sqm supertall office building!:)

·
26,701 Posts
Things are getting closer and closer as time goes on for a supertall in Brisbane...I swear one will be proposed in the next year and a half for sure...I can feel it!!!

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
What do you need to be to count as a "supertall", 300+?

This is defenitly good news for the buildings already planned, after our apartment boom an office boom is the cream on the top!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts