SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
10th February 2008
59,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Unexpected on Blue Moon.

Think I might pop down.:cheers:

Ten Years After! What is the Legacy of the 2002 Commonwealth Games for Manchester?

This July marks the tenth anniversary of Manchester's hosting of the 2002 Commonwealth Games. Although born out of two failed Olympics bids, the Games were regarded by many in the city region as an undoubted success. Indeed, the emphasis at the time on ensuring that the Games left a legacy for East Manchester has informed the planning of other large scale cultural and sporting events around the world, including the upcoming 2012 Olympics in London. Yet, while there were lots of good intentions ten years ago, not everything has gone to plan. The global economic downturn has not helped, while the 2010 election of the Coalition government has led to a number of changes in the local institutional environment. Together what these mean for the on-going redevelopment of East Manchester remains unclear. This Forum will bring together a range of stakeholders to debate the legacy of the 2002 Commonwealth Games, both for the people of East Manchester, and for the city region more widely.

Tuesday 10 July, 6-7.30pm (followed by drinks reception)

PANEL

Pete Bradshaw (Manchester City FC), Camilla Lewis (University of Manchester), Tom Russell (former Chief Executive, New East Manchester), Councillor Neil Swannick (Labour Member representing the Bradford ward), Chair: Kevin Ward (University of Manchester)

VENUE

Anthony Burgess Foundation, Chorlton Mill, 3 Cambridge Street, M1 5BY

ABOUT [email protected] and the URBAN FORUMS

[email protected] is an initiative which brings together urban and cities researchers at the University of Manchester. The Urban Forums are our new series of panel discussions on contemporary challenges facing cities. Each forum will bring together speakers with different viewpoints, aiming to stimulate debate on issues of public concern.

http://www.cities.manchester.ac.uk/events/urban_forums/

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Curious, I am on annual leave. Much needed obviously having finished work, got home and went straight to bed and slept without a break until an hour ago!?

I have left my diary at work as per usual, I will check it Monday and if I have time I will come down.

So thanks unexpected and Jrb.

·
10th February 2008
59,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice little read. Warms the heart. Little did they relaize then what was eventually going to happen, and how much benefit the games would bring to Manchester, and in particular East Manchester. Bring on the next 10 years. Hopefully a few beans will be spilled next week.

Select Committee on Culture, Media and Sport Minutes of Evidence

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmselect/cmcumeds/173-i/2121103.htm

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Was anyone else at this?
I went along and found it very interesting.
There was one lead speaker (Kevin Ward) and four guest speakers:
Pete Bradshaw from MCFC
Camilla Lewis - A student who did her PhD on the East Manchester CG legacy
Tom Russel - The head of New East Manchester before its dissolution
David ??? - A local minister of religion and community leader

Very good points raised by the audience too!

·
10th February 2008
59,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was anyone else at this?
I went along and found it very interesting.
There was one lead speaker (Kevin Ward) and four guest speakers:
Pete Bradshaw from MCFC
Camilla Lewis - A student who did her PhD on the East Manchester CG legacy
Tom Russel - The head of New East Manchester before its dissolution
David ??? - A local minister of religion and community leader

Very good points raised by the audience too!
Sadly I couldn't make it. Is there any chance you could summerise it M60.(Collar site, East Manchester, etc)

Anything interesting come out about future proposals, etc.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I suspect the sports legacy such as bike racing will soon be lost to Stratford. Another London gain!
As I understand it British Cycling and Team Sky will remain based at the Velodrome. Don't get me wrong, these new Velodromes in Glasgow and London will be used to find local talent and will increase the popularity of cycling like the new Velodrome in Manchester has done for the North West.

When you start comparing, you actually realise Manchester is a far superior base. The new indoor BMX Arena which opened last year was to solidify Manchester's position as the capital for cycling and it has certainly appeased British Cycling.

The location is right too -the proximity to the hilly terrain of Northern England is ideal for road racing (most notably Bradley Wiggins), situated mid-way between Glasgow and London where competitions will be competed over the coming years and transport links (Metrolink and taxi) from Piccadilly and Manchester Airport. To get to the London Velodrome you would have bypass a wall of security (even post-games).

·
10th February 2008
59,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Click on the link for further images of the games.

As 2012 marks the 10th anniversary of Manchester hosting the XVII Commonwealth Games we are taking the opportunity to commemorate the occasion by uploading a selection of images taken by Greater Manchester Police’s photographers during the period.

The event, said to have been largest multi-sport event ever to have been held in the UK, was hosted at venues across the region.

Construction on the main stadium began in January 2000 and cost over £100 million.

The games were officially opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, then celebrating her Golden Jubilee, and a great sporting success and major boost for the region.

Thousands of tourists and members of the media flocked to the city from across the Commonwealth and the rest of the world.

Greater Manchester Police staged its largest ever planned operation to provide security for all involved and to ensure that life in the rest of the region went on as normal. The Force received much praise for its work and played its part, along with Manchester City Council and a wide range of other agencies in ensuring the reputation of Manchester was enhanced.

Visit here for more Commonwealth Games images.

To find out more about Greater Manchester Police please visit our website.
www.gmp.police.uk

You should call 101, the new national non-emergency number, to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response.

Always call 999 in an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, violence is being used or threatened or where there is danger to life.

You can also call anonymously with information about crime to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Crimestoppers is an independent charity who will not want your name, just your information. Your call will not be traced or recorded and you do not have to go to court or give a statement.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmpolice1/7676950274/in/photostream/

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
It's disappointing that the legacy doesn't appear to have produced local sporting talent.

Of the entire GB Team only four (2 men, 2 women) are Manchester born.

·
Banned
15,377 Posts
Legacy is in my opinion...
A while heap of major (and not so major) sporting events from Champions League final, the rise of City, World para games (or whatever it is called) and a huge heap of others that we just take for granted these days, the types of things that would make big news in much of the rest of the country.

From a personal point of view by far and away the biggest impact for me is the annual 10km which I am now regularly taking part in along with 40,000 other people, meaning I now going running on a regular basis and am much fitter than I otherwise would be. This is replicated with the thousands who take part in the annual swims and the Skyrides.

I don't know what it was like 20 years ago, but Sale Harriers (my house backs onto their fields) has never been busier from what I can tell, the Olympics has added to that, not sure it will continue.

On a much more subtle side of things I read recently a piece on the Olympics, some cockney basically saying that since 02 Mancs have walked 6 inches taller, it gave the local population and businesses a hidden self belief that the recently impoverished city could achieve something really successfully on the global scale, his desire for the legacy of the Olympics was the same for London, to make their population really prod of their city and what can be done there.

London 2012 is of course a major legacy, without 02, 2012 would not have happened, all involved with the London bid acknowledge that as fact.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Are you sure you need to identity where you live Kurt?

There again I thought it was allotments at the back of there?

Surely you and your delightful Raspberry blonde Kurta dont live in a tent or an out house?

Legacy?

Obviously the Velodrome. Lets hope that London empire building doesn't erode this.

Again I would concur with most of your points Kurt.

On a longer historical thread, it's an understated and over stated cultural renaissance that is still evolving.

Hate to say this, but I am sure the grand children of Volty will be studying hard on what ever updates the Internet on curious subjects like the Commonwealth Games and the impact of Dry Bar opening.

·
Banned
15,377 Posts
So the most visible legacy of the Commonwealth Games is taking part this weekend with the City Games and 10km tomorrow.

Again I'm running tomorrow, hoping to smash my 54 minute personal best with about 46 minutes which is what I've been running all year in practice having lost about 12kg in the last year.

Anyone else running this year?

·
Banned
15,377 Posts
48:49mins for me yesterday

Great atmosphere in town, it's my favorite date in the Manchester calendar.

Also, with gift aid and matched giving from company I work for have raised over £1,500 for British Heart Foundation so good all around

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Legacy?

Obviously the Velodrome. Lets hope that London empire building doesn't erode this.

Strictly the Velodrome is a legacy of the previous Olympic bids; it was already built when the 2002 Commonwealth Games were awarded to Manchester.

The Aquatic Centre is a more specific physical legacy of the Games; plus the Regional Athletic Arena.

The more nebulous; but arguably more substantial, legacy was in demonstrating Manchester as an 'Event City'; a place where major events (whether sporting or otherwise) could readily be accommodated. We forget, fo example, that the relocation of Party Conferences to Manchester followed on the Commonwealth Games.

·
IT City Planner
4,259 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts