Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
77,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone watching it yet?
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/index.html
looks like our Aussie hopes are fading. Molic lost tonight to Serina williams. but pratt made it through.
Leyton hewitt looks like he will go far.
But how can you stop Roger federer ,going for 5 titles in a row to equal Bjorn Borgs record.
i dont think Nadal will be a threat. maybe on clay.

all whites back

i think J Henin will win womens title.

·
Agent of Change
7,222 Posts
Aussie players seem to have lost their killer instinct. They get into a winning position and then go into their shells. Molik hit unforced errors during crucial moments in the match. She lost it more than Serena won it.

·
6,438 Posts
How bout Wayne Arthurs, comes in as a wildcard as the oldest guy in the draw at 36yo and in his last tournement, then fights back from 2 sets and a break down to win against a guy litteraly half his age, then comes out and beats the 11th seed in straight sets, moving on to face Jonas Bjorkman:

Arthurs rolls back the years
Richard Hinds
June 29, 2007 - 6:53AM

It's a case of walking frames at 20 paces.

Thirty six year-old Australian Wayne Arthurs versus 35 year-old Swede Jonas Bjorkman in a third round match at Wimbledon. And no, this is not the veterans event.

Arthurs set up this Battle of Geriatrics with a brilliant straight sets victory over the 11th seed Tommy Robredo, the Australian driving his Spanish oponnent to distraction - and the exit - with his booming left-hand then finishing him off with a flourish, a brilliant backhand passing shot from metres behind the baseline proving there was a bit of life left in one of the game's old dogs.

There is some piquancy in the fact Arthurs will now face Bjorkman, his contemporary and regular sparring partner - and not just because the Swede is being coached by his former doubles partner, Australian Todd Woodbridge.

Arthurs still recalls with a wince the Davis Cup match in which a Bjorkman smash caught him flush in what you might call the lower groin region. "Hopefully he's not going to hit me there," he said. "I think we both need to keep those (parts) alive for a little bit more."

By beating the world No.7 Robredo, Arthurs wrote another wonderful chapter in his farewell story - although, he said, it might not all be over yet.

A few more wins here and Arthurs ranking could climb into the top 100 again, something that might tempt him to postpone his retirement. Although he has not told his wife Caroline that.

·
Registered
533 Posts
How bout Wayne Arthurs, comes in as a wildcard as the oldest guy in the draw at 36yo and in his last tournement, then fights back from 2 sets and a break down to win against a guy litteraly half his age, then comes out and beats the 11th seed in straight sets, moving on to face Jonas Bjorkman:
As long as Hewitt doesnt get through into the QF im happy for arthurs to win all he wants. BTW, Federer and Justine to win the title.

·
Banned
460 Posts
What a pity Jelena Dokic didn't hang around a bit longer...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes:lol: Hewitt is out of Wimbledon:) Hate him with a passion. Beaten in 4 sets by Serbian Djokovic. Still Roger to win, but look out Justine here comes Venus:)

·
6,438 Posts
Poor old Rafa's had his work cut out for him, what with the rain. He started his match against Soderling on Saturday, had match points on Monday but couldn't finish the guy off until Wednesday, then had to come out the next day and play another five setter, then had to play his quarter final the day after. Meanwhile Roger spent the best part of a week with his feet up and didn't even have to get out of bed to beat an injured Tommy Hass.

Oh, and FYI Jean Luc, Jelena Dokic is still around. Her current ranking is...753!!! What I didn't realise though is that she has been as high as number 4 in the world (WTA profile)

·
_-_-__Adelaide__-_-_
88 Posts
I am sick to death of people constantly spewing their anti-Lleyton Hewitt comments. Have these people heard of "Let those/thou without sin cast the first stone... no person is perfect and the people who bad-mouth Hrewitt should realise they are hypocritical and ignorant assholes. At least, Hewiit has won a two grand slams. I should say he has won the most important grand slam, Wimbledon and he was world number 1 for 2 years in a row.

·
Registered
533 Posts
:lol: Why so defensive? Are you related to the wanker? Good he is out, hope he takes up afl.

Venus practically won the title on one leg? or is gamesmanship part of the tennis tactics these days...Roger to win, but I do like nadal very much

·
Registered
77,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont mind leytton. he is a good fighter. he tires his opponents. i shoudl have beta dokovich but made too many errors of his own.wasnt far off winning 4th, should have went to 5th.doko was tiring.anyway
gee the womens draw was boring at batshit. all the good ones bowed out ealry and venus had an easy ride and beat an unknown.
tonights mens final should be awesome. i think roger fed will win again. hes just too good. nadal will put up fight but this aint clay.
5 in a row for the champ.

·
Registered
77,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
roger federer is a legend

Fiery Federer makes it five
From Dave James in London
July 09, 2007 ROGER Federer emulated the legendary Bjorn Borg when he captured his fifth successive Wimbledon title with a 7-6 (9-7) 4-6 7-6 (7-3) 2-6 6-2 win over Rafael Nadal.

It was Federer's 11th career Grand Slam title, taking him within three of Pete Sampras' record of 14, and his 54th consecutive grass court win.

"Each win is special but to play a champion like Rafa and equalling Bjorn's record it makes it very special," said Federer who was later warmly embraced by the man whose record he'd just equalled.

He added: "Rafa is a fantastic player who will be around longer than me so I'm happy to win again before he takes them all.

"It was a close match and I told Rafa at the net that he deserved it as well. Today I was the lucky one."

The victory shattered Nadal's hopes of becoming only the second Spanish winner of the men's singles title, to follow Manuel Santana in 1966, while Federer moved to within two wins of Sampras' record of seven Wimbledons.

But Nadal came heartbreakingly close to adding the All England Club title to his three French Open crowns when Federer threatened to self-destruct at the end of the fourth set, launching an uncharacteristic rage at the HawkEye replay technology.

"Roger has had an amazing season and to win five Wimbledons in a row is fantastic," said Nadal, the triple French Open winner.

"But I made the final again. I had some tough matches, I hope to be better next year."

The world number one had beaten Nadal in the final in 2006 in four sets and he was quickly into the groove.

Federer, watched by Borg up in the Royal Box, swept to a 3-0 lead with a break in the second game, secured when Nadal netted a lazy forehand.

But the Spanish left ander hit back in the fifth game with a blistering backhand pass, and he was quickly on terms at 3-3 having served two consecutive love games.

Two errors on either side by Nadal allowed Federer to carve out three set points in the tiebreak, but Nadal saved them all, helped by a successful HawkEye challenge on the third. Nadal then saved a fourth but Federer claimed the opener on his fifth set point with a confident volley.

Federer saved two break points with successive aces in the sixth game of the second set, but Nadal, who came into the final having spent five hours more on court than his opponent, levelled by taking the second set in the 10th game with another searing forehand pass.

Serve dominated the third set but in the ensuing tiebreak Federer was on top, taking a two sets to one lead thanks to another Nadal forehand error.

Federer took a toilet break and probably wished he had stayed there as Nadal broke in the first game of the fourth set and repeated it to lead 3-0.

But it came in controversial circumstances, the Spaniard successfully challenging another call under HawkEye - a forehand was called long, which gave him the crucial break point.

Federer complained to umpire Carlos Ramos and demanded HawkEye be switched off believing it to have made an error by calling the ball in.

"It's killing me today," Federer told Ramos before slipping to 4-0 down. The drama increased when Nadal called for treatment to his right knee when he was leading 4-1. But he remained unhindered, taking the fourth set when Federer hit a weary backhand into the net.

Federer, playing a five-set match for only the second time in his Wimbledon career, saved two break points in the third and fifth games of the decider to go to 3-2.

The Swiss made Nadal pay by breaking to lead 4-2 and then served a love game on the back of his 24th ace to lead 5-2.

Federer wrapped up the final on his second match point in the eighth game with a thunderous overhead after 3hrs 45min of thrilling action.

Agence France-Presse

·
Mr Superstar
2,411 Posts
Well at least we can say the last 2 male wimbledon champions have been Hewitt and Federer.

·
Federer Express!!!
714 Posts
I'm glad that Federer won. I also like Nadal.I hope that when Federer is no longer World's # 1, Nadal will take home the Wimbledon titles, aside from the French Open. :)

·
Registered
77,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well its a year on and federer will play nadal again in final. my bet is federer! it will be history with 6 in a row.
the womens final came and went with taller williams sister winning 5th title.

·
Registered
77,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well what an epic. rain delayed match. 2 sets all going into 5th and 6games each then nadal ended up with 9-7. it was getting dark at the end.
badluck to roger for missing out on 6 in a row. has to be happy with equalling b borgs 5 ina row. maybe nexy time. good on nadal for effort. arrogant prick.

·
Registered
583 Posts
congrats to Nadal
thats all i can say
i dont like Nadal and Federer

1 - 20 of 276 Posts