Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ternopil was the city of my ancestors before they immigrated to Canada in 1950. Ternopil is where my Viennese great, great grandfather choose to live, after marrying a Ukrainian wife. :eek:kay:

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Thanks for the contribution. I was wondering what's your story, so now I know it. Planning to visit Ukraine at some point in your life or not?

Btw, don't know much about this city, but looks good :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pan_Stanislav said:
Thanks for the contribution. I was wondering what's your story, so now I know it. Planning to visit Ukraine at some point in your life or not?

Btw, don't know much about this city, but looks good :)
I have plenty of family that I can visit. I was interested in traveling to Ukraine last year, but the economic and political situation is not exactly desirable. Plenty of Ukrainian-Canadians seem to come from Ternopil.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Well, it's about the best time to visit Ukraine ever. It's more tourist-friendly than ever and tourism-infrastructure gets constantly better. Plus this year there's Eurovision and a flock of western European tourists.

·
:::::україн&#1
524 Posts
Maksym said:
but the economic and political situation is not exactly desirable. Plenty of Ukrainian-Canadians seem to come from Ternopil.
hmm why not? I would of went even if the political situation was not as great, it's not like there was a 50-50 chance you were going to die. lol. But then again, I would want to live in Ukraine even though everything isn't that great but that's only coz I love it that much. :)
and yes, i agree there are many ukrainians in canada from Ternopil since i have a friend from there.. :tongue3:

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
TERNOPIL' - ТЕРНОПІЛЬ

It's not Chernobyl ;) I've heard people confuse the two.

It's in Ukrane. It's a town of 235,000 people.

Danylo-Galyc'kyj, Ukrainian King.

Shevchenko

The railway station of Ternopil' ;)

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Which one, there's two?

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Yeah it's a really weird one, never seen one like that. Looks like a fortress :D

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
:nocrook:

·
Registered
384 Posts
This church is new (you can seeby little details like fake briks, modern sculptures etc) and modeled after ancient ukranian churches and yes it does look pretty imposing (also i like the second one more)

·
Річ Посп
162 Posts
Is there a monument of Taras Shevchenko, Ivan Franko and Lesya Ukrajinka in every Ukrainian town ? ;)

·
У Борщин
1,204 Posts
^Most likely :)... theres also a few monuments to Taras Shevchenko and Lesya Ukrayinka in Canada. ;)

I know outside of the Manitoba Legislature they have a Shevchenko one, and then in Canora, Saskatchewan there is a Lesya one.

·
Річ Посп
162 Posts
There is Shevchenko's monument in Warsaw too. We still don't have monuments of Franko and Lesya Ukrajinka but I presume, that ukrainian community of Warsaw will deal with this painful absence soon ;)) Now I see, that what I read in one of Yuriy Andruchovych's texts was true - if two Ukrainians meet somewhere outside Ukraine the first thing they do is erection of a monument to Taras Shevchenko.

And then ukrainian school kids are tought, that TS is a poet, who has the most monuments in the world ;))

·
У Борщин
1,204 Posts
^^Also one of the first things was to build a church :tongue2:... the Canadian prairies are littered with Ukrainian churches... some abandoned :(

And I REALLY like that statue of King Danylo :) looks fantastic. Very strong and imposing.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Me too, I'm even jealous that it's not in Kyiv.

1 - 20 of 468 Posts