SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Tesco Extra (Roker) | Sunderland | 2fl | Completed

86K views 406 replies 39 participants last post by  pablofantango 
Retail park dream moves step closer

MULTIMILLION-POUND plans to transform a struggling shopping centre are inching closer to becoming reality.

The development of Roker Retail Park was key to the deal which saw the old Vaux site, which has remained derelict since the brewery was flattened, finally transferred into Sunderland Council control last week.

Outline permission for the Tesco project on the retail park – which will create 800 jobs – was granted in October, and government approval soon followed.

Now, the planning application to detail the site’s transformation has been submitted by Tesco – for the final approval of matters which were “reserved” by the original permission.

It marks another step on the road for the scheme, which was originally revealed in February 2008.

The revamped retail centre would be anchored by a giant supermaket, with the bowling alley – which is still open for the time being – and former Reg Vardy car dealership bulldozed to make way.
Read more: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/retail_park_dream_moves_step_closer_1_3150779

I'll just be glad to see that bowling alley flattened.

Could be converted into flats, ---good opportunity there, --btw, --is this building the one beside Franks Carpet shop? cheers.
That's the one, another fantastic planning decision by Sunderland City council. I'm sure that building a two storey warehouse less than 5 metres from a monastery can be classed as 'adversely affecting the setting of grade 1 listed building'.

Haven't heard anymore news of this lately, ----I know outline planning permission was given earlier this year, --and then a detailed application was submitted, --so still waiting to hear, ---but I agree, lets hope we hear some news of a possible start date soon.
It was only approved on 26th May 2011 so there's probably legal issues/leases with the existing businesses to sort out (and the full application/conditions).

I'd expect a start date early next year say April/May with completion around the Autumn ready for the Christmas.

I hope so but Asda have bought Netto so maybe it was closing anyway ?
It will have been on a lease anyway, most retail parks are. So Asda buying Netto wont have any impact if the lease has been terminated by the park owners.

It would be nice to see the demolition guys starting on the bowling building because that's just an eyesore and the sooner that's gone the better.

Don't Asda now own Farmfoods?

Asda are not daft, the longer they hold up Tesco from building here then the longer they'll be getting the extra customers for Asda in Boldon.

There should be legislation to prevent retail wars from affecting run down areas like this.

Just a bit of news relating to Tesco and the Roker Retail Park, ----the Excel Bowling alley has closed, ---and will be moving to Hylton retail Park, ---so shouldn't be too long before Demolition begins.
Bit of an odd place to move to, I can't imagine there being much demand for a bowling alley there.

Still, good news that it's gone and hopefully the building will be demolished in the not to distant future.

Lets hope we hear that the Tesco Development will kick off this Month, ---it would be great to start the new year with some good news.
From the looks of those photos it'll take until the middle/end of January just for the bowling club to relocate the lanes and equipment so I suspect their contract for handover will be until the end of January so the bulldozers will probably move in during February and we might see some steelwork going up during the summer if the other units are secured quickly. Tesco rarely hang around once they've got their teeth into a project as we've seen on the Trinity Square thread up the road.

Really pleased that Demolition work is to begin, ---it shouldn't take too long before everything is flattened, --will look forward to seeing how this progresses, --cheers.
It'll be nice just to come along Newcastle Road and not see it.

And when the Tesco pops up it'll be set so far back from the road that it'll improve the image of area ten fold.

HAPPY DAYS!!!!! :cheers:

As hosted on the Facebook Sunderland Echo site.

And a couple more..

Published on Thursday 26 April 2012 09:11

DEMOLITION work has started on a landmark former nightclub and bowling alley.

Bulldozers have started to tear down the Excel alley and Palace nightspot in Monkwearmouth, Sunderland.

The Newcastle Road building, which closed in December after nearly 50 years in business, is being dismantled to make way for a new Tesco superstore.
Read more: Link

Really pleased they are Demolishing the final buildings on the site, ---then hopefully it won't be too long before Construction can begin, --btw, --does anyone know if the Red Lion on Roker Avenue is part of the site? cheers.
Not sure, there's still businesses operating from that terrace and it's not been fenced off and it's not included as part of the red line around the site.

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/Planning/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=574394&PDF=true&content=obj.pdf

I'd have thought it might re-open once the area gets regenerated with the increase in shoppers going to Tesco.

Here's a photo that I posted earlier in the thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.