SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 407 Posts
Haven't heard anymore news of this lately, ----I know outline planning permission was given earlier this year, --and then a detailed application was submitted, --so still waiting to hear, ---but I agree, lets hope we hear some news of a possible start date soon.
It was only approved on 26th May 2011 so there's probably legal issues/leases with the existing businesses to sort out (and the full application/conditions).

I'd expect a start date early next year say April/May with completion around the Autumn ready for the Christmas.

Popped across to Blockbuster at Roker retail today and noticed the Netto has closing down signs displayed.. is this the first sign of movement in preparation >

We can only hope that things are moving in the right direction, --and maybe, --like architect 1976 has said, --work might begin around next Springtime, --fingers crossed, --btw, --welcome to the forum tripper 16, cheers.

I hope so but Asda have bought Netto so maybe it was closing anyway ?
It will have been on a lease anyway, most retail parks are. So Asda buying Netto wont have any impact if the lease has been terminated by the park owners.

It would be nice to see the demolition guys starting on the bowling building because that's just an eyesore and the sooner that's gone the better.

It will have been on a lease anyway, most retail parks are. So Asda buying Netto wont have any impact if the lease has been terminated by the park owners.

It would be nice to see the demolition guys starting on the bowling building because that's just an eyesore and the sooner that's gone the better.
Yes the old bowling alley is an eyesore as is the rest of the park, --lets hope we see some movement within the next six months or so, --fingers crossed.

This from the Sunderland Echo, -----

STORE VISION: An artists impression of the Tesco store planned for Sunderland Retail Park at Roker.

Published on Friday 9 December 2011 12:34

WORK could start next month on the new giant Tesco store which will create 400 much-needed jobs on a run-down retail park.

Supermarket chain Tesco has announced it wishes to start work as soon as possible to create a new store and retail development at Sunderland Retail Park, Roker.

The firm has now asked Sunderland City Council to use a compulsory purchase order to take over two remaining business units which stand in the way of the development.

Cabinet secretary Councillor Mel Speding said: “This council is committed to supporting Tesco’s comprehensive redevelopment scheme for Sunderland Retail Park and the physical, economic and social benefits to the city that will arise from the development of this site, including the creation of 400 jobs.”

Council leader Paul Watson added: “It will be really nice to see some ground being broken down there.”

They were speaking at a meeting of Sunderland’s ruling cabinet, where senior councillors approved the use of planning powers to remove the two remaining businesses.

City leaders say the Tesco development will bring jobs to some of Wearside’s areas of highest unemployment.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/business/latest-news/work_could_start_soon_on_new_tesco_1_4047892

Are they refering to farm foods? as I thought the plan involved them staying put
Yeah your right, ---I thought the plans included retaining some retail units, --including Farm Foods, ----and that these units would be at the far side --near the Roker Avenue side of the site, -- I could be wrong like, -----anyway, ---one of the objections is coming from the Property Director of Farm Foods.

Don't Asda now own Farmfoods?

Asda are not daft, the longer they hold up Tesco from building here then the longer they'll be getting the extra customers for Asda in Boldon.

There should be legislation to prevent retail wars from affecting run down areas like this.

Don't Asda now own Farmfoods?

Asda are not daft, the longer they hold up Tesco from building here then the longer they'll be getting the extra customers for Asda in Boldon.

There should be legislation to prevent retail wars from affecting run down areas like this.
Asda took over Netto, who have since vacated their unit.

However this would suggest that they're still 2 seperate companies
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/busine...d-with-farmfoods-in-the-wings-91466-29736639/

Just have to hope this gets sorted quickly, ---and the Development begins early next year.
Yeah and after tesco have spent all that money building there supermarket, I hope people remember the Vaux fiasco and very few people go in it.

And whilst I am on the subject please see below of why our councilors are a credit to our city.

Exactly

21 - 40 of 407 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.