SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Tesco Extra (Roker) | Sunderland | 2fl | Completed

86K views 406 replies 39 participants last post by  pablofantango 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In view of the council's approval of this application by Mountview Securities for a Tesco Extra store, with car parking facilities below and several other retail units at the southern end of the site, lets hope this development gets started soon.

Initial render of Tesco store (anchor of development):

Ground Floor Plan (showing the car parking UNDERNEATH the store)

First Floor Plan

More information - on the development website.

See less See more
#2 ·
As this has been made into a new 'PROJECT THREAD' . . .

(1) Can someone please advise the proposed height in Metres, when known?

(2) Does anyone have any renders and/or plans for this development?

(3) I have added the usual 'Project Thread' TAG of Project - Sunderland Area to the thread.

(4) I have sent a "PM" to North East 4 Ever, to ask him to add this new Project to the Development Summary thread, ASAP.

#6 ·
New jobs to be created at new Sunderland Tesco
October 15th 2010, by Adrian Pearson, The Journal

PLANNING chiefs have paved the way for a hundreds of Sunderland jobs after green-lighting a new Tesco store.

Officers at Government Office North East have confirmed they will not block plans for a new superstore in the north of the city at the Sunderland Retail Park.

The move follows Tesco’s decision to sell the former Vaux brewery site to One North East, allowing it to be redeveloped as a business district.

Tesco’s plans will create up to 759 full-time jobs in a new superstore and four smaller retails units.

Sunderland Council leader Paul Watson said: “This is a major boost for the regeneration of an important development site at one of the key gateways into the city centre.

“It has been achieved as a result of lengthy but very productive negotiations between the City Council, its partners and Tesco. The fact that it will bring with it almost 800 jobs and millions of pounds worth of investment is really good news for the prosperity of the city, especially in the current economic climate. It’s also heartening that this announcement coincides with us launching our economic masterplan next week which will set out the council’s vision for the city’s economic growth over the next 15 years.”

Last week Sunderland Council’s planning committee said it was ‘minded to approve’ the application. But, as with any major retail development, it had to be referred to Government Office, which could have resulted in a lengthy planning inquiry.

Bosses say the development includes 900 car parking spaces, many of which will be below the supermarket, which will be equipped a number of battery vehicle charging points provided as a planning condition of the scheme.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...underland-tesco-61634-27475500/#ixzz12PnhpxxC

#7 · (Edited)
It's difficult to work out exactly but looking closely at the plans they seem to include a remodelled intersection with Roker Avenue, Southwick Road, Newcastle Road and North Bridge Street.

It looks like it removes the oval roundabout in favour of a traffic light controlled junction.

Edit:

I've tried to make the image a bit easier to see.

#8 ·
Yeah, the Section 106 contributions from the developer will be used to remodel the road system. It was previously to be funded by the DfT, but it was scrapped along with a number of other small projects.

The existing gyratory is a bit of a nightmare and the condition of some of the roads is abysmal. Hopefully the highway works will allow for better road access to the Stadium and allow extra capacity for developments around Stadium Village such as the Ski Centre and possible hotels.

#10 ·
Retail park dream moves step closer

MULTIMILLION-POUND plans to transform a struggling shopping centre are inching closer to becoming reality.

The development of Roker Retail Park was key to the deal which saw the old Vaux site, which has remained derelict since the brewery was flattened, finally transferred into Sunderland Council control last week.

Outline permission for the Tesco project on the retail park – which will create 800 jobs – was granted in October, and government approval soon followed.

Now, the planning application to detail the site’s transformation has been submitted by Tesco – for the final approval of matters which were “reserved” by the original permission.

It marks another step on the road for the scheme, which was originally revealed in February 2008.

The revamped retail centre would be anchored by a giant supermaket, with the bowling alley – which is still open for the time being – and former Reg Vardy car dealership bulldozed to make way.
Read more: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/retail_park_dream_moves_step_closer_1_3150779

I'll just be glad to see that bowling alley flattened.

#16 ·
That's the one, another fantastic planning decision by Sunderland City council. I'm sure that building a two storey warehouse less than 5 metres from a monastery can be classed as 'adversely affecting the setting of grade 1 listed building'.

Yeah I agree about that carpet store, ---and I thought it strange at the time, ---anyway lets hope this old Monastery building can be put to good use.

#21 ·
Haven't heard anymore news of this lately, ----I know outline planning permission was given earlier this year, --and then a detailed application was submitted, --so still waiting to hear, ---but I agree, lets hope we hear some news of a possible start date soon.

#32 ·
This from the Sunderland Echo, -----

STORE VISION: An artists impression of the Tesco store planned for Sunderland Retail Park at Roker.

Published on Friday 9 December 2011 12:34

WORK could start next month on the new giant Tesco store which will create 400 much-needed jobs on a run-down retail park.

Supermarket chain Tesco has announced it wishes to start work as soon as possible to create a new store and retail development at Sunderland Retail Park, Roker.

The firm has now asked Sunderland City Council to use a compulsory purchase order to take over two remaining business units which stand in the way of the development.

Cabinet secretary Councillor Mel Speding said: “This council is committed to supporting Tesco’s comprehensive redevelopment scheme for Sunderland Retail Park and the physical, economic and social benefits to the city that will arise from the development of this site, including the creation of 400 jobs.”

Council leader Paul Watson added: “It will be really nice to see some ground being broken down there.”

They were speaking at a meeting of Sunderland’s ruling cabinet, where senior councillors approved the use of planning powers to remove the two remaining businesses.

City leaders say the Tesco development will bring jobs to some of Wearside’s areas of highest unemployment.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/business/latest-news/work_could_start_soon_on_new_tesco_1_4047892

#35 ·
Yeah your right, ---I thought the plans included retaining some retail units, --including Farm Foods, ----and that these units would be at the far side --near the Roker Avenue side of the site, -- I could be wrong like, -----anyway, ---one of the objections is coming from the Property Director of Farm Foods.

#57 ·
From the looks of those photos it'll take until the middle/end of January just for the bowling club to relocate the lanes and equipment so I suspect their contract for handover will be until the end of January so the bulldozers will probably move in during February and we might see some steelwork going up during the summer if the other units are secured quickly. Tesco rarely hang around once they've got their teeth into a project as we've seen on the Trinity Square thread up the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.