SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 4930 Posts

·
22,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a bit of fun . . .

It occurred to me that all of us know a lot about our great city, about it's past, it's present and it's plans for the future.

We all probably know LOTS of stuff that others amongst us may not, so why not have a thread where we can post these 'little snippets' of information, but perhaps do it in the form of QUESTIONS, to see if (indeed) we might occasionally be "the only one" who actually knew that fact . .

So, as a "starter for ten" how about this one . . I bet a lot of people know this . . but then again?

The below photo is of a famous (in it's day) Newcastle landmark. As a clue, it was in place and very visible for at least 20 years.

What is it, and where was it?

·
dE/dm
2,401 Posts
I'm guessing some sort of coal pit ventilation shaft?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am fairly sure it is a pillar for supporting the flyover which was intended to cross Jesmond Dene near the Flora Robson Playhouse.

·
22,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am fairly sure it is a pillar for supporting the flyover which was intended to cross Jesmond Dene near the Flora Robson Playhouse.
and I am fairly sure you are correct admuram well done! In fact, it was not an actual pillar for use on the flyover, it was a "test pillar" to check out the type of concrete required, but everything else (including the precise location) is 100% correct.

Even though the road the flyover was to be part of (the 'Coast Road Motorway') was not built until fairly recently, when it was then called The Cradlewell Bypass, this test pillar remained there (in Jesmond Vale near, as Admuram says, the site of the Flora Robson Playhouse) for many, many years. Full explanation below . . .

from No. 4 issue of DIVERSION (August/September 1972).

Above two photos courtesy of Forum Member, GBDT.

·
22,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before this thread was started, we have actually already had a couple of Newcastle General Knowledge questions posted on various other threads.

This one was posted by maxtoon on the 'Historic Newcastle' thread . . . and had to be answered by maxtoon himself, as no-one was able to answer it . . .

ok .. here's an interesting one .. any of you care to have a guess as to where this 1960's picture was taken :)

The ANSWER is . . . It's actually the last remnants of the little known Carliol Square Railway Station! Some of the goods yards beyond the gate house were being used as a bus compound. This whole area and the surrounding buildings were in the process of being demolished to make way for the central motorway.

·
22,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Then we had this one from johnnypd . . .

any guesses as to what this is?

The ANSWER to which no-one got, and was finally revealed as . . .
Nope - it is the inside of Tynemouth Priory as Sir Giles Gilbert Scott imagined it to be. He actually made a proposal to rebuild it to those specifications in 1878. Crazy huh?
Then, we had a question posed by hollow man on the 'Newcastle Metro Area Photography' thread . . .

Some of you will have seen this before but for those who have not, can you spot something fairly interesting and unusual in this next pic??

So, the above is the current question awaiting an answer . . .

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I didn't realise anyone had answered it last time, that's why I put it on here!! Never mind!

OK, who wants to ask the next question . . .
No Historian what I mean was that I made a thread of my pictures back in March and im sure Johnny remembered the question from back then!! You're right, no one answered the question from our photo thread.

1 - 20 of 4930 Posts