SkyscraperCity banner

561 - 580 of 4930 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·

Think of 'a person' rather than a firm or organisation. Think of the type of project this was ('entertainment') and who used to often feature in the 'nights out' scene as owner/developer of venues, in Newcastle in the 1980s and before and since . . .

(That's another big clue, but I'm trying not to just give it away).

Also, there is still the clue about, the answer to one of my recent questions . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
Based on that clue, Joe Robertson was the owner of bars and what have you?
C O R R E C T Geordie!!

I 'gave it away a bit' in the end, didn't I?

Never mind, just a bit of fun, and one of my more successful ("longest lasting") ones!!

It is also (as ever) just a useful and fun way for all of us to learn about bits of our local history, that we may not have been aware of - that's what this thread is all about really!!

Interestingly, the same page from my '1980s records' has got an article (shown in bottom left corner of the above) about the "West Central Route" being approved on April 29th 1988.

Or, St James' Boulevard, as we now call it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It's not quite the same; the above proposal would have controversially continued along Strawberry Place and through the car park behind Eldon Gardens before rejoining Percy Street. The then council had to admit defeat due to the strength of opposition, although there was a fair bit of controversy over the CPOs required for the boulevard where it crosses Westmorland Rd.

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #567 ·
(1) Anyone know WHAT this is? It is not there now, this photo was taken in the 1970s.

(2) Whereabouts in Newcastle was this photo taken?

·
Registered
204 Posts
(1) Anyone know WHAT this is? It is not there now, this photo was taken in the 1970s.

The symbol on it is the old pre-Nexus Tyne and Wear PTE logo so taking the date into account I'll hazard a guess that it has something to do with the construction of the metro tunnel. An air vent perhaps?

Where? I'll plump for the end of Northumberland St./Haymarket

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
The symbol on it is the old pre-Nexus Tyne and Wear PTE logo so taking the date into account I'll hazard a guess that it has something to do with the construction of the metro tunnel. An air vent perhaps?

It was indeed the 'Tyne & Wear PTE' / 'Tyne & Wear Transport' LOGO, that was designed (and used) as an attempt (for many years) to get a 'Regional Identity' to our transport in this City and area along with our YELLOW buses and Metros, in the same way as the circle with a horizontal line through it had achieved for London Transport and their RED buses!

The 'blue line' across the middle represents the river Tyne, as this was originally the "Tyneside PTE" Logo (before Tyne & Wear).

HOWEVER,

The photo is NOT an air vent for the Metro, neither was it in the Northumberland St/Haymarket area (though, there may have been a one around there somewhere, as there were a fair few of these) just NOT this one!

·
cogito ergo sum
1,622 Posts
(1) Anyone know WHAT this is?
I liked to imagine that they were the PTE's equivalent of a Police Box or (being in the transport business) a Tardis-like staff hyper-travel machine. But in fact I assumed that they were merely a staff refuge at changeover-points.
Nowadays, relief staff simply wait in small white vans. I guess they were also stocked with ticket-blanks and other materials.
They MAY even have been staffed for route monitoring and cash collection -that, I don't know.
That's the junction of Heaton Road with Shield Road. Most (all?) of the buildings are still there. The bank (empty) and the 30's steel window frames in the top left.

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 · (Edited)

It was indeed the 'Tyne & Wear PTE' / 'Tyne & Wear Transport' LOGO, that was designed (and used) as an attempt (for many years) to get a 'Regional Identity' to our transport in this City and area along with our YELLOW buses and Metros, in the same way as the circle with a horizontal line through it had achieved for London Transport and their RED buses!

The 'blue line' across the middle represents the river Tyne, as this was originally the "Tyneside PTE" Logo (before Tyne & Wear).

HOWEVER,

The photo is NOT an air vent for the Metro, neither was it in the Northumberland St/Haymarket area (though, there may have been a one around there somewhere, as there were a fair few of these) just NOT this one!
(1) I liked to imagine that they were the PTE's equivalent of a Police Box or (being in the transport business) a Tardis-like staff hyper-travel machine. But in fact I assumed that they were merely a staff refuge at changeover-points. Nowadays, relief staff simply wait in small white vans. I guess they were also stocked with ticket-blanks and other materials. They MAY even have been staffed for route monitoring and cash collection -that, I don't know.

(2) That's the junction of Heaton Road with Shield Road. Most (all?) of the buildings are still there. The bank (empty) and the 30's steel window frames in the top left.

PERFECT answer DXNewcastle, thanks!

I always assumed they had telephones in there too.

Here is a 'wider view' version of the same photo, showing the precise location you described . . .

·
cogito ergo sum
1,622 Posts
There are some quite unusual buildings on Shields Road, which always makes it an interesting place to observe.
From the wedge-shaped bicycle shop at the top, the facade-only of Millers Auctioneers (ex Rington's), the banks, swimming pool, fragment of Roman Wall, the 30's style of Ethel Austin (in your pic) and the magnificent Bevans' tea-rooms first floor windows (now flats) - not to metion the view over the city looking West down Heaton Road.
The range of shops is also interesting - more fruit and veg per meter than anywhere else in the city - much the same for charity shops; but that's another matter. Oh, and there's still a solitary wooden "telegraph pole" on the site of the old Heaton station (slightly north of Shields Road itself).

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
There are some quite unusual buildings on Shields Road, which always makes it an interesting place to observe.
From the wedge-shaped bicycle shop at the top, the facade-only of Millers Auctioneers (ex Rington's), the banks, swimming pool, fragment of Roman Wall, the 30's style of Ethel Austin (in your pic) and the magnificent Bevans' tea-rooms first floor windows (now flats) - not to metion the view over the city looking West down Heaton Road.
The range of shops is also interesting - more fruit and veg per meter than anywhere else in the city - much the same for charity shops; but that's another matter. Oh, and there's still a solitary wooden "telegraph pole" on the site of the old Heaton station (slightly north of Shields Road itself).

I have replied to this on the "East End" thread.

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #576 ·
Now, for something slightly different . . .

What's the "Jingle"?

Television and radio adverts for this famous Department Store, the only one in Gateshead, usually featured (what became) a VERY well known and 'catchy' little jingle.

This question is . . .

How did it go?

I'm sure you can ALL 'sing it' (sadly, I can't hear you!) but can you remember the words? Actually, there are 'some' (bits of) clues, within the words of the above advert (though not in the right order) . . if you can spot them!

As a clue, there would be FIVE lines of verse, if you remember the full thing, but let's just see how close you can get!!

Ta rum . . !!

·
cogito ergo sum
1,622 Posts
Don't know the song, but if its the one I think it was, it made me cringe with the dissonant rhyme of "free" with "family" (fam - ill - lee). Quite offensive to the ear.

·
Antagonist
393 Posts
Shephards of Gateshead is the biggest and the best store,
Shephards of Gateshead have got what you're looking for.
There's so much to see
And the parking is free
Come shopping at Shephards with the whole family.

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #579 ·
Now, for something slightly different . . .

What's the "Jingle"?

Television and radio adverts for this famous Department Store, the only one in Gateshead, usually featured (what became) a VERY well known and 'catchy' little jingle.

This question is . . .

How did it go?

I'm sure you can ALL 'sing it' (sadly, I can't hear you!) but can you remember the words? Actually, there are 'some' (bits of) clues, within the words of the above advert (though not in the right order) . . if you can spot them!

As a clue, there would be FIVE lines of verse, if you remember the full thing, but let's just see how close you can get!!

Ta rum . . !!
Shephards of Gateshead is the biggest and the best store,
Shephards of Gateshead have got what you're looking for.
There's so much to see
And the parking is free
Come shopping at Shephards with the whole family.

Well, that's TWO of my questions anwered today . . .

Absolutely CORRECT Graham56, well done!!

·
Antagonist
393 Posts
I think you have to be over a certain age ( cough cough) to remember that advert.:lol:
Can anyone remember the Shephards store at the top of Glouster Road??

561 - 580 of 4930 Posts