SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 4930 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Gosh, I was so excited to see the pencils again I had to register just to answer the question. They were just outside Mothercare, at the junction of Blackettbridge and Douglas Way. I used to love playing on them when I went into town with my ma.

I suppose they must have been got rid of when the Eldon Garden was built (to make way for the access to the footbridge and upper level) so they must have gone 20 or so years ago? The bridge across Percy Street is now off to the left of the photograph...
Yes North Star, totally correct! The shop you can see in the photo, to the right of 'The Pencils', is Dixons electrical shop, and the photographer was pretty much standing outside the window of (the mentioned) 'Mothercare'.

·
Super Moderator
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
When was Eldon Gardens built?
1987-89 according to the new Newcastle Pevsner.
Yes, as this interesting PHOTO of the new bridge across Percy Street being built (from the Evening Chronicle of 15th July 1988) and the associated article show, the construction was due for completion by February 1989.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
building private property over a public road never sits well with me. wonder what would happen if a private home owner tried to do the same....

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Fragments remain: some of the metalwork in the glass roof of Eldon Gardens was salvaged from the old arcade.

Incidentally, there's a short biography of Handyside been published recently: 'George Handyside: Newcastle entrepreneur and quack vendor' by David Robertson & Alan Blakeman (BBR Publishing, Elsecar). There's quite a lot about bottle collecting, as GH ran a patent medicine works off Elswick Road, having previously been a boot and shoe magnate.

·
Super Moderator
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Right . . . something a little bit different, that 'hopefully' will last longer than my questions usually do!

This is a photo of a Metro Train entering a tunnel, but WHICH tunnel?

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
That'll be the prototype testing tunnel at Middle Engine Lane. I can tell as the prototype metros had access doors to the front and rear of the carriages, the production models that entered service did not. So as this train had a door on the front of the carriage... this must be the testing facility.

I hope I am right :)

·
Super Moderator
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
That'll be the prototype testing tunnel at Middle Engine Lane. I can tell as the prototype metros had access doors to the front and rear of the carriages, the production models that entered service did not. So as this train had a door on the front of the carriage... this must be the testing facility.

I hope I am right :)
Hi Toonlad . . YES ("sigh") you are right, good stuff!

I'm only "sighing" as I thought this one might have lasted for a while - should have known better!

This photo was indeed taken at the tunnel on the test-track at Shiremoor. The year was 1978.

I think it was also in 1978 that I visited the Test Track. You could buy a ticket to do this at that years TSE (Tyneside Summer Exhibition) and you got a ride each way down the test track. Difficult to imagine it now, I suppose, but as no-one had ever seen a Metro train before, it was quite an experience!!

OK, NEXT QUESTION (I give up!!)

·
Super Moderator
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Here is a 'Quiz Question' for you . . where in Central Newcastle is this?

Clue - photo was taken in the early 1990s

ANSWER - It is indeed . . LEAZES ARCADE.

Here is what it used to look like:

^^ Excellent photos . . takes me back!

I remember it quite well, because it was one of two 'fairly similar' places that sprung up around the same time (circa 1982).

Here is their 'flyer' from those days . . .

THE OTHER (very similar) place that opened then, was Queens Square on the site of the old (and MUCH missed by me) QUEENS CINEMA, our only ever 'Cinerama' cinema in Newcastle.

The 'Queens Square' premises are still in use there now (just off Northumberland Street, on the alley up to Princess Square) in a somewhat different format.

·
Super Moderator
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
OK, here is the NEXT QUESTION . . .

This is an impressive looking large building, isn't it? It may never have been fully built, but what was it going to be called and where was it going to be?

61 - 80 of 4930 Posts