SkyscraperCity banner

1241 - 1260 of 4893 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Thanks for the kellys directory pages Steve loads of good stuff in there, amazing amount of manufacturing going on. The first follow on question I have form it is an entry for Bath Lane at 170 there is St Mary's convent of the Sisters of Mercy. Back in 1979 when I came to Newcastle I remember walking around this area and finding the art school before it got rebuilt at Rye Hill. Was this convent the art school and does any one have a photo?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
thanks CDB00 https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/wwwfileroot/legacy/regen/plantrans/conservation/Summerhill.pdf is great read. Is the Summer Hill Society still around?
In the document it says "squashed between the church and Westgate Hill is the north half of Bragg's late 1700s Summer Hill House a fascinating reminder of the areas early origins"
I can't visualize this at all is that the small building that I think of as the "big lamp brewery" has interesting wooden window shutters"?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Thanks for the kellys directory pages Steve loads of good stuff in there, amazing amount of manufacturing going on. The first follow on question I have form it is an entry for Bath Lane at 170 there is St Mary's convent of the Sisters of Mercy. Back in 1979 when I came to Newcastle I remember walking around this area and finding the art school before it got rebuilt at Rye Hill. Was this convent the art school and does any one have a photo?
Bit of confusion here I suspect :) - the mention of BATH LANE is by virtue of a reference point as to where it joins WESTGATE ROAD. Therefore St Mary's Convent of the Sisters of Mercy is at 170 Westgate Road and not Bath Lane. The position of the Convent would be to the West of Bath Lane, just over the road from St James's Boulevard.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Bit of confusion here I suspect :) - the mention of BATH LANE is by virtue of a reference point as to where it joins WESTGATE ROAD. Therefore St Mary's Convent of the Sisters of Mercy is at 170 Westgate Road and not Bath Lane. The position of the Convent would be to the West of Bath Lane, just over the road from St James's Boulevard.
Is this the old St Mary's School site on Rutherford Street - now underneath St James Boulevard? Went to this school in 1965-66 before it moved to Benton Park Road. Sure it used to be a Convent before it was a school.

Cheers
GBDT

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Is this the old St Mary's School site on Rutherford Street - now underneath St James Boulevard? Went to this school in 1965-66 before it moved to Benton Park Road. Sure it used to be a Convent before it was a school.

Cheers
GBDT
Found this information @ http://www.ourladyofmercy.org.uk/ourstory/dsp-default.cfm?loadref=241

The first post-Reformation Religious House to be opened in Newcastle-upon-Tyne was a Convent of Mercy. Reverend Mother M. Liguori Gibson of Mount Vernon, Liverpool, responded in1855, to a plea from Dr. Hogarth, Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle, by conducting four Sisters to their new home provided by Mr. W. Dunn and Miss Dunn, in Westgate Road. These two generous benefactors also promised £300p.a. for the Sisters’ needs and gave much financial help in projects undertaken by the Community in later years.

During its first year, the Convent remained as a Branch House of Liverpool, but in October 1856 it ceased to depend on Mount Vernon and was given the status of a Foundation, Sr. M. Baptist Geraghty being appointed its first Superior and Sr. Mary of the Cross Dunn, a native of Northumberland, as her Assistant.

The Sisters had been sent to Newcastle for “the purposes of instruction and visitation of the sick” and there was no lack of opportunity and no time lost in living out their brief. Immediately visitation of the sick and poor began in the Cathedral Parish of St. Mary’s; a Poor School was opened in two rooms and a loft in the Convent and a Private School was started in the Sisters’ Refectory with five pupils. By 1859, the new St. Mary’s School, the building of which was financed by Mr and Miss Dunn, was opened in Rutherford Street beside the Convent.

The Sisters were very much in demand in the field of education and in caring for the sick and they were attracting several vocations. Within five years of their arrival in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, the Community was in a position to open their first Branch House in North Shields.

·
Registered
196 Posts
thanks CDB00

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/wwwfileroot/legacy/regen/plantrans/conservation/Summerhill.pdf - is a great read.

Is the Summerhill Society still around?

In the document it says "squashed between the church and Westgate Hill is the north half of Bragg's late 1700s Summer Hill House a fascinating reminder of the areas early origins". I can't visualize this at all.

Is that the small building that I think of as the "big lamp brewery" has interesting wooden window shutters"?

Summerhill Society is indeed still around, I recently joined the committee!

Regarding the remains of Summerhill House, I'll have to ask around, though I'm pretty sure that it's not the Big Lamp Brewery but a building that is behind that and the church. Looking at the overhead view on Google maps there is a building which is very much 'squashed' up against the northern tip of the church.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Summerhill Society is indeed still around, I recently joined the committee!

Regarding the remains of Summerhill House, I'll have to ask around, though I'm pretty sure that it's not the Big Lamp Brewery but a building that is behind that and the church. Looking at the overhead view on Google maps there is a building which is very much 'squashed' up against the northern tip of the church.
Had a look of Google Street View and there is an old looking building next to St Matthews - wonder if this could be Summer Hill House?

Here's a screen grab:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Had a look of Google Street View and there is an old looking building next to St Matthews - wonder if this could be Summer Hill House?

Here's a screen grab:

That building (painted black and white) was the first site for the Big Lamp Brewery from 1982 and moved to Newburn in 1996.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
That building (painted black and white) was the first site for the Big Lamp Brewery from 1982 and moved to Newburn in 1996.
At page 45 of the Character Statement it mentions:

The 2-storey bow-fronted remnant of Summer Hill House (centre of photo), linked to the Brewery, can be seen on historical maps and is
visible from Westgate Hill forecourts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
At page 45 of the Character Statement it mentions:

The 2-storey bow-fronted remnant of Summer Hill House (centre of photo), linked to the Brewery, can be seen on historical maps and is
visible from Westgate Hill forecourts.
I've been wondering what that bit (centre of photo) meant, it doesn't make sense with the photo that was shown...I'll do a bit of digging but it may be a few days before I get an answer.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
will have to go on the Summerhill walk given I also live on the corner of Summerhill! On the building mentioned - is that one something to do with the old sawmill? Also, is Summerhill House the quite grand one near the top of Westgate Hill - Stephen Easten office?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've been wondering what that bit (centre of photo) meant, it doesn't make sense with the photo that was shown...I'll do a bit of digging but it may be a few days before I get an answer.
It's referring to the house in the centre of the photo. Can't see what you mean by it doesn't make sense?

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's referring to the house in the centre of the photo. Can't see what you mean by it doesn't make sense?

Cheers
GBDT
I cannot understand in what way can that be described in the same document thus: " Squashed between the church and Westgate Hill is the north half of Bragg’s late 1700s Summer Hill House, a fascinating reminder of the area’s early origin"

the house in the centre is clearly not in any way squashed by the church, there is a huge gap! Nor is it "between the church and Westgate Hill".

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Yes that description and the photograph that it refers makes no sense at all - just digging around on my hard drive and came across this one of the former Brewery taken in May 2002.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
will have to go on the Summerhill walk given I also live on the corner of Summerhill! On the building mentioned - is that one something to do with the old sawmill? Also, is Summerhill House the quite grand one near the top of Westgate Hill - Stephen Easten office?
Hi Greg

That's WESTGATE HILL GRANGE - former offices of Stephen Eastern and last time I looked was empty.

The buildings itself isn't Grade Listed but the Griffins at the main door are.
This information courtesy of http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1338566

Name: 2 GRIFFINS IN FRONT OF WESTGATE GRANGE
List entry Number: 1338566
Grade: II
Date first listed: 30-Mar-1987

Details

NZ 2364 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE WESTGATE ROAD (south side) 18/601 2 griffins in front of Westgate Grange GV II 2 Statues. Circa 1872. Formerly finials on roof of Mining Institute, Westgate Road (q.v.). Removed in 1958 and set on steps in front of No. 271. Griffins, about one metre high, sitting upright and holding long scroll which is draped over shoulder of each.

Listing NGR: NZ2390964144
Couple of shots of Westgate Hill Grange taken in May 2002:

Westgate Hill Grange was built for Mr. John Edward Bowser who was Managing Director of The Bamboro Steamship Limited.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
I cannot understand in what way can that be described in the same document thus: " Squashed between the church and Westgate Hill is the north half of Bragg’s late 1700s Summer Hill House, a fascinating reminder of the area’s early origin"

the house in the centre is clearly not in any way squashed by the church, there is a huge gap! Nor is it "between the church and Westgate Hill".
Found this @ http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43342

Extract from Historical Account of Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Including the Borough of Gateshead by Eneas Mackenzie:

A long range of large, well-built houses, extends from near this place to the summit of the hill. The first division is named Swinbum Place, the next Greenfield Place, and the uppermost High Swinburn Place. Behind part of these buildings are several houses and shops, which face the turnpike road. At the southern extremity of the nursery-ground are a few large, well-built villas, which command a pleasant and extensive prospect towards the west and south, and also a view of the neat gardens which occupy the ground on the east, and the front of the houses at Swinburn and Greenfield Places. Exactly opposite to the toll-house is Summer Hill, upon which the late Hadwin Bragg, Esq. erected a large and commodious house, now occupied by his relict, and which, from its lofty situation, is one of the most healthy and airy residences in the vicinity of the town.

1241 - 1260 of 4893 Posts