SkyscraperCity banner

1341 - 1360 of 4894 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts

Sorry it has taken so long- I have ascertained (from long-standing members of the Summerhill Society) that the roof marked with an arrow is the remaining part of the original Summerhill House.

It's not visible from anywhere on a road, but you can see part of it (including a bay window) from the Stephen Easten car park

·
Part Time Contributor
43,266 Posts
Sorry it has taken so long- I have ascertained (from long-standing members of the Summerhill Society) that the roof marked with an arrow is the remaining part of the original Summerhill House.

It's not visible from anywhere on a road, but you can see part of it (including a bay window) from the Stephen Easten car park
Well done that man, resolution at last :)

·
Part Time Contributor
43,266 Posts
Any salad bar; or

The Weighhouse in the Grainger Market?
:lol: - yes, second guess is correct.

I was quite surprised to learn that the maximum weight that could recorded was 31 stone, makes you wonder where the over 31 stones go?

Anyway, originally set up to weigh goods for stall holders and also for the public to check on the gods they had been sold. Weight houses were once a legal requirement in all Markets.

Evidently the one in the Grainger Market used to shout out the weight, so it was not very confidential to those checking on their own size but nowadays the weight is written down and passed over to the customer.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,266 Posts
Anyone up for a brain teaser ?

These questions were in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle of 12th December 1952:

1. Why is a certain building in Newcastle called Black Gate?
2. Who discovered that smooth wheeled locomotives would travel on smooth rails?
3. Name the famous musical composer who was born at Swalwell and buried in Westminster Abbey?
4. When was the Castle in Newcastle advertised to be let as a windmill?
5. Why is the Bigg Market in Newcastle so called?
6. When did Newcastle return its first Member to the Parliament?

Questions from Mrs M Charlton of Whitley Bay who received 10 shillings and 6 pence.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,266 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,266 Posts
Answers are:

1. Why is a certain building in Newcastle called Black Gate? - It was occupied in the days of James I by Patrick Black.
2. Who discovered that smooth wheeled locomotives would travel on smooth rails? - William Hedley of Ryton
3. Name the famous musical composer who was born at Swalwell and buried in Westminster Abbey? - William Shield. A friend of Haydn and George III
4. When was the Castle in Newcastle advertised to be let as a windmill? - In 1782 to grind corn, bolt flour, make oil or for a brewery or factory.
5. Why is the Bigg Market in Newcastle so called?- Because of the kind of Barley sold here called "Bigg" having four rows of grain.
6. When did Newcastle return its first Member to the Parliament? - In 1295 when two members were elected.

·
21,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,357
The new King's Walk building at NU.

Isn't it a Metro ventilation point?

There certainly used to be a "Draught Relief Shaft" (as Metro have always called them) at about that point, just as there is over the road directly outside Haymarket Station, and one completely inside an 'Old Eldon Square' building, etc, etc.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,266 Posts
How about this one :)

1. Where is it?
2. What is so special about the area highlighted?

The new King's Walk building at NU.

Isn't it a Metro ventilation point?

There certainly used to be a "Draught Relief Shaft" (as Metro have always called them) at about that point, just as there is over the road directly outside Haymarket Station, and one completely inside an 'Old Eldon Square' building, etc, etc.

Well done Guys, I didn't know it was there until someone pointed it out to me the other week. As NH points out it is a Draught Relief Shaft that deals with the wave of air caused when a Metro train enters Haymarket Station.

Yes there used to be a strange shaped shaft outlet in the car park of the Playhouse before the current University building was erected.

Couple of views:

1341 - 1360 of 4894 Posts