SkyscraperCity banner

1621 - 1640 of 4893 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
OH! I was going create a question based on these! You've beaten me to it! :bash:

Needless to say, yes - I know exactly what they are (and where they all are - there are several), but I'll butt out and let someone else have a go.
Well you could always run your question alongside :)

·
12,582 Posts
OH! I was going create a question based on these! You've beaten me to it! :bash:

Needless to say, yes - I know exactly what they are (and where they all are - there are several), but I'll butt out and let someone else have a go.
Yes, not just in Newcastle either. Steve of Heartbreak Soup/Lazarides has an excellent book on them. I ll also keep schtum.

·
12,582 Posts
Do you know where all the Newcastle ones are then? I 'lost' one (despite it being in plain sight), but have rediscovered it recently...
All...... hmmm. That I d better think about [or cheat and go see Steve :)]. The thing about them is that they are all in plain sight, but are sooo easy to miss. I even clocked one unexpectedly in the far end of the Ouseburn.

·
dE/dm
2,394 Posts
Nice one steve, congrats. I've always wondered what these things are, and have seen them abroad (although I can never remember where). There's one in Gateshead metro station on the main concourse. Not sure about any others, including this one.

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invader_(artist)

Invader (born 1969) is a French urban artist who pastes up characters from and inspired by the Space Invaders game, made up of small coloured square tiles that form a mosaic. He does this in cities across the world, then documents this as an "Invasion", with books and maps of where to find each invader. Invader started this project in 1998 with the invasion of Paris – the city where he lives and the most invaded city to date – and then spread the invasion to 31 other cities in France (such as Montpellier, Marseille, Avignon, Rennes, Bordeaux, Lille, or Bastia…). London, Cologne, Geneva, Newcastle, Rome, Berlin, Lausanne, Barcelona, Bonn, Ljubljana, Vienna, Graz, Amsterdam, Bilbao, Manchester, Darlington are among the 22 other European cities which have been invaded. In the world, Los Angeles, New York City, San Diego, Toronto, Bangkok, Tokyo, Katmandu, Varanasi, Melbourne, Perth and even Mombasa are now invaded with his colourful characters in mosaic tiles.

The mosaics depict characters from Space Invaders and other video games from the late 1970s. The images in these games were made with fairly low-resolution graphics, and are therefore suitable for reproduction as mosaics, with tiles representing the pixels. The tiles are difficult to damage and weather-resistant.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Mo Mowlan, between Westgate Rd and [loosely] the Summerhill Square area [Notting Hill meets the Bronx :)].
Well done Newcastlepubs - I hadn't realised the history of the house until a City Guides Walk on 31st July 2011. The previous times I had photographed Summerhill the Commemorative Plaque wasn't there.

Mo Mowlam 1949-2005

Respected Politician MP for Redcar 1987-2001 Northern Ireland secretary 1997-1999, led talks that resulted in the Good Friday Agreement in 1998. Lived in this house from 1979-1983. "It takes courage to push things forward"

Mo Mowlem was formerly a lecturer (Politics) at Newcastle University.

This shot taken in 2003 - pre Plaque:

Shots taken on 31st July 2011:

·
12,582 Posts
Here's one. Two questions:

1. Where is it ?

2. What does it signify [why is it there ?]. I don't know the answer to this myself and am curious. From that you can assume it's not on the offices of the 'Cow Preservation Society'.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Here's one. Two questions:

1. Where is it ?

2. What does it signify [why is it there ?]. I don't know the answer to this myself and am curious. From that you can assume it's not on the offices of the 'Cow Preservation Society'.
Thought it might have been Byker Farm but the building there is made from wood - this one looks like slate, so back to the drawing board :eek:hno:

·
12,582 Posts
Thought it might have been Byker Farm but the building there is made from wood - this one looks like slate, so back to the drawing board :eek:hno:
Yes 'tis on slate.

There is a very vague agricultural connection with the current occupiers of the building, but that is certainly only co-incidental.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I think the udders come from the fact that the pub was actually the Dun Cow.

Used to work in the Gateshead Planning dept opposite the pub. When I first started in 1972 we had an hour and a half for lunch! To enable us to go to Northumberland County Hall to use their canteen! Instead we either had a good game of 5 a side or a few pints and games of domonies in the Dun Cow.:cheers:

Cheers
GBDT

1621 - 1640 of 4893 Posts