SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 873 Posts

·
10,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stroll through the streets of Tétouan and discover this exceptional town, main due to its geographical location. Nestling at the foot of the Rif chain, the town is just a few miles from the coast. You will be able to move from the mountains to the sea in a short space of time and enjoy the many beaches on the coast. The town itself has an inimitable atmosphere through its dual Hispano-Moorish character displayed in its houses with whitewashed walls or covered in ceramics. The result is a quite unique way of life where restaurants serve tapas alongside tajines. The town has a very busy medina, imbued with the spirit of Al Andaluz and which is now on the Unesco world heritage list.

Map of the City:

http://ramon.4x4.nu/posimap/MapTet.JPG

14th century: Tetouan is founded.

Around 1400: Destroyed by Spain.

End of 15th century: Rebuilt by Moorish refugees from Spain.

1913: Tetouan becomes capital of Spanish Morocco.

1956: Independence of Morocco, and Tetouan becomes part of the new kingdom.

·
Rbati
127 Posts
Redalinho said:
End of 15th century: Rebuilt by Moorish refugees from Spain.

1913: Tetouan becomes capital of Spanish Morocco.
Tetuan was rebuilt by the prince Almandre 1st, and became semi-independant in the begining of the 17th century as such as the other moorish city: Rabat

·
Usuario registrado
8,350 Posts
The sculpture shown in this pic, taken from a Soufian post, looks like the icon of "La Unión y El Fénix Español" (An insurance company). Isn't it?

La escultura que aparece en esta foto, tomada de un post de Soufian, se parece a la imagen de "La Unión y El Fénix Español" (Una empresa de seguros). ¿Lo es?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
That building was of that company when North Morocco belonged to Spain actually! Ive made some more pics of it today, another forumer told me about it, he wanted the pic for his website.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thats really cool. I didnt know there were many monuments like that. I think they should be well preserved. I always wondered how it felt for a Spaniard to travel from South of Spain into the North of Morocco.
I would guess that it would act as a continuation. Thats so cool I feel!

·
Banned
52 Posts
Why did Moors (berbers?) lose Spain?

Didn't they have a lot of population in Spain ie muslim were majority? I know one time this one guy yusuf bin tashfayn attacked and defeated alfonso IV? and extended moorish rule.

Sorry it might seem out of topic but since this thread is about Morocco and I am a history buff hence... :cheers:

·
Rbati
127 Posts
blitzkrieg said:
The Moors were not berbers, but a mixture of Arabs, Berbers and a majority of Ibers and Goths/Vandals converted to Islam. There were also Jews and Christians living in the muslim Spain... non-muslims were more than 2/5 of inhabitants...

·
Usuario registrado
8,350 Posts
blitzkrieg said:

Didn't they have a lot of population in Spain ie muslim were majority? I know one time this one guy yusuf bin tashfayn attacked and defeated alfonso IV? and extended moorish rule.

Sorry it might seem out of topic but since this thread is about Morocco and I am a history buff hence... :cheers:
The Moorish rule over Iberian Peninsula began in 8th century (711), and ended when they lost the Kingdom of Granada (1492). Spanish protectorate over a little part of Morocco began in 1912 and ended in 1956

La dominación mora sobre la Península Ibérica comenzó en el siglo VIII (711) y terminó cuando perdieron el Reino de Granada (1492). El protectorado español sobre una pequeña parte de Marruecos empezó en 1912 y acabó en 1956.

1 - 20 of 873 Posts