SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Oh No He Didn't
11,470 Posts
Well that's what happens when you're in a fast growing state with a strong economy.

Personally, I'd rather deal with the annoyances of construction than see everything crumble...
Considering how broke TXDOT is, I am curious to see how all of these road construction projects will be funded (more toll road/HOT lane conversions would be my guess)?

· Oh No He Didn't
11,470 Posts
If you were referring to towns that have less than 50,000 people then I would agree but College Station and Waco are sizable enough to be served by HSR. Many HSR lines in Europe serve small cities as well in addition to Acela in the Northeast which stops in cities such Wilmington and New Haven in addition to DC and NYC.

· Oh No He Didn't
11,470 Posts
the promise of this and the attraction is the speed of service because of the huge air travel industry in the US. The Texas cities aren't nearly as urban as the NE cities so there is even less of an attraction. This needs to be a quick trip if they are going to spend billions on it. Let the other stuff come much later.
Actually the main purpose of HSR is to replace intra-city auto traffic/commuter jets which currently serve these cities. Anyways one or two stops on a line isn't going to affect the overall speed of the train and it would have the added bonus of attracting riders whose destination might not be Houston or Dallas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.